Odor taking grounders at 3b

seak05

This is realizing he's a popular "glue" kind of player in the clubhouse and trying to give him a role that will both keep him on the team and diminish his playing time at 2B.    You guys should be happy.   This might mean more Vavra at 2B.  Nevin down or released.  Stowers up.   Odor backs up 3B behind Urias.  Still gets a start or 2 at 2B.   Maybe.   Or maybe it means nothing.

• Upvote 2
  • Like 1

Wow, it is absolutely terrific news Odor is taking grounders at 3b, hope it goes well. I’d absolutely love Odor on this team as utility /PH, I think that is an ideal role for him honestly. Love him and his ability in the clutch. Who goes for him? Assuming Nevin. Is he DFA-Ed?

• Upvote 1
  • Confused 1

55 minutes ago, ManciniFan said:

Wow, it is absolutely terrific news Odor is taking grounders at 3b, hope it goes well. I’d absolutely love Odor on this team as utility /PH, I think that is an ideal role for him honestly. Love him and his ability in the clutch. Who goes for him? Assuming Nevin. Is he DFA-Ed?

Not as a pinch hitter …. 

The only way this is good news is if we are allowing him to get better at another position for whatever teams picks him up after we cut him ASAP.  Otherwise it's another way he keeps being in our lineup when at the best he needs to be on the bench, and reality need to be off the team all together.  

1 minute ago, forphase1 said:

The only way this is good news is if we are allowing him to get better at another position for whatever teams picks him up after we cut him ASAP.  Otherwise it's another way he keeps being in our lineup when at the best he needs to be on the bench, and reality need to be off the team all together.  

I'd say it would be good in a sense if it means Nevin is off the team if Odor can backup at 3B. I'd prefer Odor and Nevin not to be on the roster, but at least this would get rid of one of them and allow for Stowers or another prospect to get called up. 

Odor gets a lot of crap around here for his defense but it’s really his offense that has been the problem. He has a great arm and quick turn on double plays, it’s not just a coincidence that he is there and the team leads the league in turning them.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

I'd say it would be good in a sense if it means Nevin is off the team if Odor can backup at 3B. I'd prefer Odor and Nevin not to be on the roster, but at least this would get rid of one of them and allow for Stowers or another prospect to get called up. 

Sure, getting rid of one of the black holes in the lineup is better than having both of them.  But as far as that goes it's like rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic, kinda pointless.  Both of them need off of our roster, and making Odor more versatile so he can potentially stay in the lineup isn't a good sign.  Odor has a .618 OPS.  Tyler Nevin is .586.  So yeah, Odor is SLIGHTLY less bad at bat than Nevin, but doing any kind of experiment to work to keep either in the lineup is silly.  

Please note, I'm NOT comparing this season to the Titanic as I'm loving this team and watching us compete for the playoffs.  But it's a fact that Odor and Nevin are really, really bad with the bat in their hand and BOTH need off of the team and replaced.  Again, replacing one is a great start, but it shouldn't stop there.  

2 minutes ago, survivedc said:

Odor gets a lot of crap around here for his defense but it’s really his offense that has been the problem. He has a great arm and quick turn on double plays, it’s not just a coincidence that he is there and the team leads the league in turning them.

He's bad all around.  He's worse with the bat than with the glove, but the glove is very over rated here on the OH.  Most of the fielding metrics have him a slightly below average to poor.