For those who thought Tex wanted to be a Yankee...

JTrea81

IMO, it's because he knew they would ante up the most dough. Unfortunately, the Orioles did nothing to change his mind.

And how could they? Boras wouldn't let McPhail talk to him about Teixeira. The Yankees met Teixeira's criteria:

1. Show me the money.

2. Win right away.

3. East Coast.

Of those three, the last is a distant third.

Tex's best chance to capitalize on #1 was to instigate a bidding war between Boston and New York.

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply
And how could they? Boras wouldn't let McPhail talk to him about Teixeira. The Yankees met Teixeira's criteria:

1. Show me the money.

2. Win right away.

3. East Coast.

Of those three, the last is a distant third.

Tex's best chance to capitalize on #1 was to instigate a bidding war between Boston and New York.

They wouldn't let him talk to the Os? Boars talked to the Os, right? So, if they really wanted to "show him the money", couldn't they have told Boars? Couldn't they have offered more cash than the Yanks?

If you're a bad team, and you want a good player, you have to beat the other offers. Tex doesn't care about saving the Orioles. He cares about getting paid. If you aren't planning on beating the other offers, then just stay out of the bidding and don't waste your time. If you really want him, pay attention to #1 on your list...it was the most important factor.

I think every got caught up in the "Tex loves Baltimore" crap, and forgot that he doesn't even love Charm City enough to own a house here. We can add this month-long FA saga onto the Vlad/Konerko list.

They wouldn't let him talk to the Os? Boars talked to the Os, right? So, if they really wanted to "show him the money", couldn't they have told Boars? Couldn't they have offered more cash than the Yanks?

If you're a bad team, and you want a good player, you have to beat the other offers. Tex doesn't care about saving the Orioles. He cares about getting paid. If you aren't planning on beating the other offers, then just stay out of the bidding and don't waste your time. If you really want him, pay attention to #1 on your list...it was the most important factor.

I think every got caught up in the "Tex loves Baltimore" crap, and forgot that he doesn't even love Charm City enough to own a house here. We can add this month-long FA saga onto the Vlad/Konerko list.

He walked away from a hair more money from the Nationals. #2 is related to #1. As long as the Yankees were in the same general range, he was going to New York.

How much would the Orioles needed to offer to get Tex's attention? 10% more? Was he worth 8/198?

FWIW: This is from my source. But it might not be true.

Tex: Hey JTrea, how you doing? Just wanted to say thanks for all your support and I'm sorry you're bummed about me signing with the yanks and not baltimore. But it really wasn't about the money, if it was, I would've signed with Washington for whatever price I wanted. $20 million is more than enough. I liked my time in Anaheim, but I didn't want to live out there, I wanted to be on the east coast, so the Angels weren't really a possibility, but my agent wanted to keep as many teams involved in the bidding so I'd get the most money I could. I told just to get everything done by x-mas. I've been in the league for a while, and I'm at my peak right now, so the main thing was a chance to win while I"m in my prime. I loved the O's growing up and they seem headed in the right direction, but I don't know how long it will take to get there. Same goes for Washington. That left Boston and NY. My wife didn't really want to go to Boston, I still have some ill will towards them from when they drafted me out of high school, and I don't like what they're doing to my buddy Varitek. So basically, I really wanted to go to NY because they're on the east coast and I know we'll be competing for the championship every year. Plus I loved Mattingly growing up, so being able to play his position in the new ball park for a team with such a great tradition and playing with other great players was just too much to pass up. Baltimore made a good offer and they told us they were flexible but I just really wanted to go to NY.

JTrea: Yeah, that's nice to say, but IMO, you really wanted to come to Baltimore and it was McPhail's fault for not doing enough and you were insulted by our lowball offer.

Tex: No, listen man, McPhail was fine, the offer was fine. It was more about the chance to win now.

JTrea: I'm just mad because I know you really wanted to play here and FO doesn't care about the fans or winning, they care about money. I know you really hate the Yankees.

Tex: Dude, I don't hate the Yankees, Mattingly was my favorite player. NY was the perfect place for me. Baltimore made a good offer, but it wasn't about the money, I wanted to go to NY. The Yanks didn't seem too interested at first, and my agent wanted to drag it out and keep as many teams interest as possible to drive up the price so then when we let the Yanks know I was interested in going there, we already had the price driven up. I have no regrets, when I agreed to terms with them, I looked up into the blue sky and felt a sense of relief that it was over and I was going to the team that I wanted to go to all along.

JTrea: IMO, you hate the Yankees and despise Mattingly. I also don't believe the part about looking into the "blue sky" IMO, the sky is not blue. That's just more progaganda from McPhail. Oh well, thanks for the call, I feel vindicated now knowing that I was right about what happened. Belkast told us we were giving you our "wow" offer, too bad it was a "wow that's a crappy offer"

Tex: Belkast? What's a Belkast?

He walked away from a hair more money from the Nationals. #2 is related to #1. As long as the Yankees were in the same general range, he was going to New York.

How much would the Orioles needed to offer to get Tex's attention? 10% more? Was he worth 8/198?

I don't know the answer to that. In order to answer it, they would have actually needed to try. But, if they weren't willing to find out, they should have stopped wasting their time and spent the last month improving the roster.

I don't know the answer to that. In order to answer it, they would have actually needed to try. But, if they weren't willing to find out, they should have stopped wasting their time and spent the last month improving the roster.

No one said they weren't. It isn't as if all they did everyday was focus on Teixeira. Other stuff was worked on.

No one said they weren't. It isn't as if all they did everyday was focus on Teixeira. Other stuff was worked on.

That's true. Maybe I should have said that they haven't instead of they weren't. So far, we dealt a bad catcher for an injury prone utility guy, we signed another no-hit SS, and we wasted time on a 1B we weren't willing to pony-up for.

That's true. Maybe I should have said that they haven't instead of they weren't. So far, we dealt a bad catcher for an injury prone utility guy, we signed another no-hit SS, and we wasted time on a 1B we weren't willing to pony-up for.

From what I understand from the reports after the Tex BS. MacPhail is not one to sit and wait on one move. Waste time, maybe, waste hope, yes. MacPhail was reported saying he was having talks with Boras about his other clients. It would seem all along that we were eliminated quickly in the last week and I am sure Andy and the others were already planning on other moves prior to any of this. IMO, Tex did not draw this team away from any of its plans, but will they happen. Thats anyone's guess.

Tex: Hey JTrea, how you doing? Just wanted to say thanks for all your support and I'm sorry you're bummed about me signing with the yanks and not baltimore. But it really wasn't about the money, if it was, I would've signed with Washington for whatever price I wanted. $20 million is more than enough. I liked my time in Anaheim, but I didn't want to live out there, I wanted to be on the east coast, so the Angels weren't really a possibility, but my agent wanted to keep as many teams involved in the bidding so I'd get the most money I could. I told just to get everything done by x-mas. I've been in the league for a while, and I'm at my peak right now, so the main thing was a chance to win while I"m in my prime. I loved the O's growing up and they seem headed in the right direction, but I don't know how long it will take to get there. Same goes for Washington. That left Boston and NY. My wife didn't really want to go to Boston, I still have some ill will towards them from when they drafted me out of high school, and I don't like what they're doing to my buddy Varitek. So basically, I really wanted to go to NY because they're on the east coast and I know we'll be competing for the championship every year. Plus I loved Mattingly growing up, so being able to play his position in the new ball park for a team with such a great tradition and playing with other great players was just too much to pass up. Baltimore made a good offer and they told us they were flexible but I just really wanted to go to NY.

JTrea: Yeah, that's nice to say, but IMO, you really wanted to come to Baltimore and it was McPhail's fault for not doing enough and you were insulted by our lowball offer.

Tex: No, listen man, McPhail was fine, the offer was fine. It was more about the chance to win now.

JTrea: I'm just mad because I know you really wanted to play here and FO doesn't care about the fans or winning, they care about money. I know you really hate the Yankees.

Tex: Dude, I don't hate the Yankees, Mattingly was my favorite player. NY was the perfect place for me. Baltimore made a good offer, but it wasn't about the money, I wanted to go to NY. The Yanks didn't seem too interested at first, and my agent wanted to drag it out and keep as many teams interest as possible to drive up the price so then when we let the Yanks know I was interested in going there, we already had the price driven up. I have no regrets, when I agreed to terms with them, I looked up into the blue sky and felt a sense of relief that it was over and I was going to the team that I wanted to go to all along.

JTrea: IMO, you hate the Yankees and despise Mattingly. I also don't believe the part about looking into the "blue sky" IMO, the sky is not blue. That's just more progaganda from McPhail. Oh well, thanks for the call, I feel vindicated now knowing that I was right about what happened. Belkast told us we were giving you our "wow" offer, too bad it was a "wow that's a crappy offer"

I actually read through this whole thread and had all types of things to comment on ... until I read this post. lol

Rep to you sir.

This is both funny and, saddly, too true.

:laughlol::laughlol::laughlol: Brilliant. Funny and sadly, true.:mwahaha:

Archived