For those who thought Tex wanted to be a Yankee...

JTrea81

Hey JTrea... time to take a chill pill, or I'm gonna get out that picture of the little kid sitting on the you-know-what ;-)

Seriously, I was impressed by the way you stood up and stuck to your guns during the whole Tex-thing.

But, since the outcome disappointed you, you've just about lost your mind.

You're talking like it was a personal betrayal of you, and the O's management are basically evil-doers.

This is crazy. Really, it is.

I think you need to back-up, count to 1,000, go chop some wood, or something. (Honest.)

Yeah. Seriously. The inmates are truly running the asylum around here right now. I'm thinking I might take a break myself for a bit - which hurts, because this is a great place for me to stretch out a bit and think about something other than my job. But I grow really frustrated with the triumphant irrationality and histrionics. Argh.

Welcome back, Shack.

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I suspect when Markakis declines his final lowball extension offer and is traded, the same people who are believing that MacPhail can do no wrong will have no problem with that either... :rolleyestf:

It's only a matter of time now before Markakis is dealt. Anything else wouldn't be the MacPhail/Angelos Way...

Do you enjoy feeling miserable? You are clearly, CLEARLY, looking for the worst possible interpretations of every piece of information that is released. Even when said information goes completely against what you have decided is fact based on whatever mood you are currently in. None of what you said in this post is based on any known facts, yet you say it like it is the most obvious thing in the world.

You'd think the guy was the baseball Jesus or something. He wasn't making or breaking this team, and quite frankly, we can now use that money to lock up some of the guys on the team we DO have. The guy wanted to play elsewhere, it happens. It's not the Orioles fault, let it go.

It just doesn't matter. If Tex said on TV he wanted to be a Yankee along, people would just spin it and say the O's low-balled him. When the reported offers were first announced, just about everyone said at the time, that it wasn't a low-ball offer. Schmuck reports that Boras didn't even give the O's a chance to respond to the Yankee's offer, even though AM was contacting him about it, yet its still AM's fault. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Some people on this site are like pitbulls. They grab a hold of a thought, or idea and they refuse to let it go, ever.

It just doesn't matter. If Tex said on TV he wanted to be a Yankee along, people would just spin it and say the O's low-balled him. When the reported offers were first announced, just about everyone said at the time, that it wasn't a low-ball offer. Schmuck reports that Boras didn't even give the O's a chance to respond to the Yankee's offer, even though AM was contacting him about it, yet its still AM's fault. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Some people on this site are like pitbulls. They grab a hold of a thought, or idea and they refuse to let it go, ever.

Couldn't MacPhail just blurt out an offer? Why did Boras have to control the conversation? Why wasn't MacPhail more aggressive right off the bat if the Orioles really wanted Teixeira. The Yankees wanted Sabathia and they were aggressive in getting him. The Orioles should have been the same way if they wanted him. Offering a lower $ amount than anybody else isn't aggressive. 7/140 is a lot of money but it was a lowball offer compared to the other first offers out there.

And remember, Tex followed Boras all the way, so maybe it was Boras that was turned off by the low offer and ruled out the Orioles right away and told Tex they wouldn't be the right fit for him or that he could get more money from the Yankees or Red Sox...

Jim Duquette for instance went right after the targets that he wanted offering the Orioles best offer right away. Granted those targets didn't pan out but he never lowballed a FA that the Orioles wanted.

I almost wish he was in charge instead of MacPhail when it came to pursuing Tex...

Couldn't MacPhail just blurt out an offer? Why did Boras have to control the conversation? Why wasn't MacPhail more aggressive right off the bat if the Orioles really wanted Teixeira. The Yankees wanted Sabathia and they were aggressive in getting him. The Orioles should have been the same way if they wanted him. Offering a lower $ amount than anybody else isn't aggressive. 7/140 is a lot of money but it was a lowball offer compared to the other first offers out there.

Jim Duquette for instance went right after the targets that he wanted offering the Orioles best offer right away. Granted those targets didn't pan out but he never lowballed a FA that the Orioles wanted.

I almost wish he was in charge instead of MacPhail when it came to pursuing Tex...

What does it matter if the Orioles really wanted him if HE didn't want to come here? I mean, it would take really stupid money to get him to change his mind, and that's money that A) we need elsewhere and B) he doesn't deserve unless he's going to play all 9 positions, pitch every 5 days, and close for us.

What does it matter if the Orioles really wanted him if HE didn't want to come here? I mean, it would take really stupid money to get him to change his mind, and that's money that A) we need elsewhere and B) he doesn't deserve unless he's going to play all 9 positions, pitch every 5 days, and close for us.

He didn't want to take less money to play here, but I truly believe he wanted to play here. Just like Mussina wanted to stay an Oriole but the Orioles wouldn't pay him what he wanted to stay.

Tex was worth 30 million last year with his performance, so 8/184 is not an unreasonable amount to pay for what he would have provided.

Lowball offers can turn people off, even for the teams they want to play for at first. Tex was clear he wasn't giving a hometown discount, so what do the Orioles do? They try to make him take a hometown discount...

And I guarantee none of that Tex money will be used elsewhere to improve the Orioles...

And remember, Tex followed Boras all the way, so maybe it was Boras that was turned off by the low offer and ruled out the Orioles right away and told Tex they wouldn't be the right fit for him or that he could get more money from the Yankees or Red Sox...

It was reported that the Angels, Nats, and O's all offered 20M a year for Tex. Remember when the Yankee talk started and they said they wouldn't go more than 8/160 and everyone here was stating that they set the market for Tex. Now, of course, the Yankees went to 180, but the O's initial offer was not low-ball. It was the same dollar amount that his other suitors had on the table and they made it known it wouldn't be a final offer. It was for one less year, but the dollar amount was the same.

It was reported that the Angels, Nats, and O's all offered 20M a year for Tex. Remember when the Yankee talk started and they said they wouldn't go more than 8/160 and everyone here was stating that they set the market for Tex. Now, of course, the Yankees went to 180, but the O's initial offer was not low-ball. It was the same dollar amount that his other suitors had on the table and they made it known it wouldn't be a final offer. It was for one less year, but the dollar amount was the same.

The O's offered 20 million less than any other team to start with. So while the dollar/year amount was the same, the overall contract value was not. They also offered the least amount of years which again is the worst contract as far as long term security for Tex. It doesn't matter if they said it wasn't the final offer, it was a poor starting offer. The Orioles should have at least gone 8/160 which is what the Nationals started with and in reality to show Tex how badly they wanted him have started at 8/170+ to beat the Nationals' offer...

Too many people around here drink the Orioles kool aid JT. I guess it's easier than accepting the truth. The O's are cheap and they don't care about their fans.

If they didn't care about their fans then they wouldn't keep the stadium "Oriole Park at Camden Yards" It would be "Esskay Franks 100% Pure Beef and Natty Boh Park"

Oriole fans need to look at all the facts before they bash the FO that in a year and a half have built the best 1-5 prospects in baseball. There has been considerable improvement in the O's organization thanks to AM. As far as Tex is concerned, there are many facts throughout the negotiations pointing to the fact that Tex did not want to be an Oriole. He wanted to win. The O's do not offer that as far as he is concerned. He idolized Mattingly growing up, not Murry or Cal.

Couldn't MacPhail just blurt out an offer? Why did Boras have to control the conversation?]

No, I'm not sure MacPhail could have done this. Negotiations are sensitive things. You might not want an offer being public information without approval from Boras. Best not to make an enemy of the agent of the player you are trying to sign. Plus like you said Wieters and Arrieta are also Boras' clients, so it affects future negoations negotiations if MacPhail goes out and says our offer is 8 years/x million dollars without first clearing it with Boras.

The O's offered 20 million less than any other team to start with. So while the dollar/year amount was the same, the overall contract value was not. They also offered the least amount of years which again is the worst contract as far as long term security for Tex. It doesn't matter if they said it wasn't the final offer, it was a poor starting offer. The Orioles should have at least gone 8/160 which is what the Nationals started with and in reality to show Tex how badly they wanted him have started at 8/170+ to beat the Nationals' offer...

How long are you gonna be butt hurt about this? I think you need to move on and stop acting like a scorned lover. I wanted him here badly as well but he is a Yankee. Clutching at straws, trying to imagine what could have been is not going to change the fact that Tex is a Yankee.

"Jim Duquette for instance went right after the targets that he wanted offering the Orioles best offer right away. Granted those targets didn't pan out but he never lowballed a FA that the Orioles wanted.

I almost wish he was in charge instead of MacPhail when it came to pursuing Tex..."

Thats a brilliant GM that puts his best offer out right away.:rolleyes:

Here is a reply to a poster on Peter Schmuck's blog:

Pete's reply: My opinion on this is well-documented. I wanted Tex, for some of the reasons you state here. He would have fit nicely into the long-term rebuilding plan while having the immediate effect of mollifying the disgruntled fan base. To me, he would have been worth eight years at $180 million, but the fact is, Boras made it pretty clear to the Orioles that there was no reason for them to make a counter-offer. He didn't want to come here. The O's contacted Boras several times and told him they were ready to modify their offer. He often changed the subject. It just wasn't going to happen. I wish it had turned out differently, because I believe it was a unique opportunity for the O's that won't come along again any time soon.

That's really why this took so long. Tex was waiting for the Yankees to come into the mix. As soon as they did, he jumped. People can try to sugar coat it, but the bottom line is, Tex had only one team in his head all along and it happened to be the one that is most hated by Oriole fans.

If I was working at OPACY, I would record the boos and play it over the PA system, so it is amplified, just to remind him of the shame. ;)

Excellent post. Well done...My sources in Boston told me that during negotiations in Texas, Boras wanted the Red Sox to install a clause that after x amount of years his contract would escalate to 10/$225 range. That is when Henry walked away. I also have a family member who at one time worked with Texeira's brother at Bloomberg's in New York and he was told 3 years ago that Texeira always wanted to play for the Yankees and that he was "just biding his time" until free agency. Bottom line: the Orioles were never in this - even three years ago:)

Archived