Updated Baseball America Top 100 List Out-Post Draft (Gunnar #1)

ManciniFan

2 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

Brooks Lee ahead of Holliday is just stupid unless you are solely valuing closeness to the majors and I think Holliday could be up as fast.

Sometimes you gotta really wonder about these rankings. It's kinda why I don't really care where our guys end up although it's good to see them in the conversation

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, btdart20 said:

As much as we're amped about Adley, I think Gunnar and Grayson will be better (health, etc., etc.)

As a rookie, Adley’s playing at a 6 WAR per 162 pace.  If Gunnar and Grayson are better that will be pretty astounding.  

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Paul in Virginia said:

How often has a team drafted two eventual #1 guys in the same draft?

Didn’t see this posted anywhere yet, but I found this in a Sun article today which announced Gunnar taking the number one BA spot.  

“If Henderson maintains his top prospect status from this midseason update through the offseason, it would be the first time since the publication began rankings in 1990that two No. 1 prospects came from the same organization’s draft class.”

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, scarey1999 said:

Didn’t see this posted anywhere yet, but I found this in a Sun article today which announced Gunnar taking the number one BA spot.  

“If Henderson maintains his top prospect status from this midseason update through the offseason, it would be the first time since the publication began rankings in 1990that two No. 1 prospects came from the same organization’s draft class.”

Can you imagine the reputation Elias will have with his GM peers if he can pull this off?  What an amazing draft 2019 is turning out to be.  

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, 86this said:

Steve Malewski on the case!  I guess this is closer than the Strasberg/Harper comp.  The problem with this is that Drew wasn't drafted by the Cardinals and used that loophole when he was drafted by the Phillies. https://www.vivaelbirdos.com/2015/6/30/8790989/the-curious-case-of-drafting-j-d-drew

Yeesh lets hope Adley and Gunnar work out better than Drew and Ankiel did...

16 minutes ago, 86this said:

Steve Malewski on the case!  I guess this is closer than the Strasberg/Harper comp.  The problem with this is that Drew wasn't drafted by the Cardinals and used that loophole when he was drafted by the Phillies. https://www.vivaelbirdos.com/2015/6/30/8790989/the-curious-case-of-drafting-j-d-drew

My mistake, JD Drew was re-drafted in the first round the following year.  Melewski was close but they weren't in theory the same draft year.

6 hours ago, oriole said:

So obviously we gotta keep this going…whose the next #1? Holliday? Cowser? Povich?

I would think Cowser will be top 10 by end of year if he continues to put up the numbers he's delivered so far in Bowie. If that happens, maybe a white hot start to next season at AAA gets him into the #1 prospect discussion?

Edited by bluedog
  • Upvote 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Honestly, this almost feels like a positive. Last year an outing like this might have had 4 or 5 walks. Hopefully this indicates a better ability to grind out a start without his best command. 
    • Yea that’s a lot of pitching.  Only 1 walk but the str% was just under 60%.
    • A few ideas:  McKenna has been around for a long time, Roch probably knows him pretty well.   Maybe he likes the guy.  It is a fact that Hyde (and likely Elias too) like to have a good mix of RH and LH bats, and take LH/RH splits very seriously.    We see it in their lineups, and in player moves, all the time.   It is clear based on the multitude of comments that come out each time a lineup is posted, that Hyde/Elias put a lot more stock in LH/RH splits than the majority of fans here do.   Whether you agree with them or not, the bottom line is it DOES matter to THEM, a lot.   And with Hays down, and now Burdick gone, our MLB/AAA pool of potential outfielders is VERY lefthanded, which means that McKenna probably has more value to them than he does in most our minds.   And Roch is just reflecting that value in his blog.   (When Hays got hurt, I wasn't 100% sure his replacement was going to be Kjerstad, I thought there was a chance, based on past behavior of Elias/Hyde, that it could be McKenna to get another RH bat in the mix). Perhaps Cowser has, or will, convince them that he can be an adequate backup CF if something happens to Mullins.   I don't know if that has happened yet.   But with Hays out, and Mateo so far not passing the eye test as a CF, it's possible that McKenna is still the #1 answer if something were to happen to Cedric.   Which gives him more significance than some other 4A guy who can be DFA'd 3 times in a season like Banuelos and pass through waivers or be easily replaced.
    • We smashed him pretty good last year and he’s due for regression. He’s an average pitcher that we should beat. 
    • Yeah, the limited IP so far is small.  But it feels like he's not at the right level of competition. Of course it's also as much competing against himself (pitch shape, location, etc. that the team tracks) as against the hitters too.  Like you mentioned elsewhere, he's younger than DeLeon.
    • I think they’d go with 4 lefties before sending Akin to AAA. If everyone is healthy: SP: Burnes, Grayson, Bradish, Kremer, Means/Irvin RP: Kimbrel, Cano, Coulombe, Perez, Akin, Suárez, Webb/Baumann, Irvin/Means Option: Wells, Tate DFA: Ramirez, Baumann/Webb And then if they want Wells, they either DFA the other of Webb/Baumann or option Akin.  They also have the ability to option Kremer, but he’s really have to pitch poorly for that to happen.
    • With Cowser hitting lefties ok so far, not a lot of reason for McKenna. Mateo has already played CF once as well, so they are covered down with defense in CF and Kjerstad brings a much better bat. 
  • Popular Contributors