Kiley McDaniels: Os still #1

Sports Guy

10 hours ago, geschinger said:

There was some concern about signability or at least that was what was reported at the time of the draft.  Took a decent amount over slot to sign him. Thankfully having the largest draft pool and Adley not requiring full slot made it doable for the O’s.

Orioles did not have the largest draft pool.

5 minutes ago, ShoelesJoe said:

If that draft were to happen again right now where would Henderson likely get picked? Third? Fourth? Lower? 

Henderson would have come out of the draft this year. I believe he would have be 1-1 if had developed the way he did on the pros. Imagine a guy who is nearly major league ready as a power hitting SS/3B with good plate discipline. 

Personally, Henderson shows is you can get drafted by a good organization that can develop, how much quicker you can get to the major leagues if you are actually really good. 

He'd probably be put in High-A or maybe AA by a team that just drafted him instead of being on the cusp of he major leagues in AAA now.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, ShoelesJoe said:

If that draft were to happen again right now where would Henderson likely get picked? Third? Fourth? Lower? 

That has to be one of the best drafts we have seen in quite some time.

First round picks included Adley, Witt, Abrams, Manoah, Carroll, Greene, Espino, Kirby and Volpe.

Stott is a good prospect and Jung was on his way before his injury.

• Upvote 1

Just now, geschinger said:

Was that a year a team had a second first round pick after not signing some one?

If so, don't think it changes the point that draft pool size made signing Gunnar as well a possibility.

Diamondbacks had a larger pool.

I wasn't trying to make a big point, just being factual.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

That has to be one of the best drafts we have seen in quite some time.

First round picks included Adley, Witt, Abrams, Manoah, Carroll, Greene, Espino, Kirby and Volpe.

Stott is a good prospect and Jung was on his way before his injury.

Depending on who you look at and including Gunnar, that is 5 guys ranked #1 at some point from the same draft.

Wonder how often that has happened?

And the Os got 2 of them.  Unreal.

Edited by Sports Guy
  • Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Over Adley or Witt?

I wouldn't go that far.

I don't think it's difficult to make a case for Gunnar over Witt.  Gunnar is more than a full year younger. 

In their age 21 MiLB seasons

Witt:  .290 / .361 / .576 / .936

Gunnar (so far): .304 / .429 / .556 / .985

I prefer the significantly better plate discipline even if it comes with a bit less power.

Edited by geschinger
  • Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, geschinger said:

I don't think it's difficult to make a case for Gunnar over Witt.  Gunnar is more than a full year younger. 

I prefer the significantly better plate discipline even if it comes with a bit less power.

Witt has also been something of a liability on defense this year while Gunnar is expected to be at least league average in the short term. Maybe that will change, but for now Gunnar seems like the better option.

9 hours ago, geschinger said:

I wouldn’t sleep on Witt.  I know Gunnar is basically a year younger, but he’s still got an extra year of pro experience this year compared to Witt last year.   They both have very bright futures.