Projected FA Salaries

ManciniFan

7 minutes ago, Just Regular said:

He doesn't have his FA yet, but I think that's a feature not a bug for a market like Baltimore getting a player like that.

The way the team is playing now deserves presence and appreciation, but if the Angels this offseason come to the same conclusion about him the Nats did with Soto, it looks to me like these Orioles bidding could make sense.   Ohtani of course would be 1.0 seasons compared to the 2.33 with Soto, including the third bite at the October apple.

I suppose Jorge Mateo has played well enough to shift some daydream magic beans from Correa to Ohtani.

Yeah, I know he's FA after next season. If we're dreaming big might as well dream for the biggest, right?

Just guessing, but assuming it was Elias and Sig that advocated for trading for Verlander with Houston. He was pretty subpar that year if I remember right and as soon as he got to Houston he turned into a stud again. Analytics seem to help the older studs maintain relevance longer these days. Just stay off the IL. Easier said than done.

7 hours ago, nc_stats_nerd said:

And for fun...

Signing Bassitt/Rodon to 3/4 year deals would give us 5 projected top 100-ish starters for the next three years.

2023:

• Rodon (#15)
  • Bassitt (#41)
  • Rodriguez (#64)
  • Means (#68)
  • Hall (#80)

2024:

• Rodon (#26)
  • Rodriguez (#50)
  • Bassitt (#66)
  • Hall (#79)
  • Means (#85)

2024:

• Rodriguez (#40)
  • Rodon (#43)
  • Hall (#79)
  • Bassitt (#94)
  • Means (#106)

We really need three to get through a playoff series. I'd be fine just signing one of that group and keep the payroll flexibility to extend Adley/Gunnar/Cowser. 

15 hours ago, Just Regular said:

I assume this 2023 Means #68 can only be on some kind of rate metric.   He isn't going to pitch enough to build that much value.

Welcome....cool opening posts!

For sure. Essentially I use a weighted combination of IP/G, xERA, FIP, xFIP, SIERA, and K-BB% over a pitchers MiLB/MLB history to forecast a pitcher's FIP and IP/G going forward. That produces a WAR/G metric, so there's your rate stat. The WAR metric and rankings I have assume 32 starts, which obviously won't be happening,

I'd be wary of going after DeGrom - he's going to cost a ton and he just doesn't have the track record of staying healthy.  Let someone else overpay.

I like the idea of Rodon at that price, though I might be more inclined to do something like 3/80 rather than 4/96.  But we absolutely need to be aggressive in getting a TOR guy.

• Upvote 1