2012 vs 2022. What would Buck and Dan do if they ran the Orioles now?

Gurgi

Just remembering some of the moves Dan and Buck did in 2012 to try desperately to get a wild card spot.   They brought up Dylan Bundy in his rookie season for every ounce of bullpen support.   They also reached down to AA and brought up Manny Machado to play defense at third because Mark Reynolds had the yips and couldnt throw the ball across the diamond to first.   Mark then made a very good defensive first base.  

I kind of think Dan and Buck would of already brought up DL Hall for bullpen help.  Mainly for the high K numbers and would use him in situations where they needed a K.  I also think they would of brought up Stowers and perhaps even Henderson.   

Long term it might be smarter to stick with the plan and be very cautious but I think Buck and Dan would of been all in.  

What do you all think?

• Upvote 1

Philistine opinion here, I am not sure what they would have done, but I wouldn't have traded Mancini and the closer unless I was blown off the water by the return. Magical seasons like this don't come around very often. Were they going to win the WS if no trade? No, in all likelihood. But you owe it to yourself and the fans to roll with it and see how far it takes you. At least, it seems that the team absorbed the trades and keeps rolling.

Bringing up Bundy for two appearances was a bit easier when rosters could expand to 40 players, plus Bundy was already on the 40-man roster because he’d signed a major league contract when he was drafted, which is no longer permitted.   No way Bundy would have been called up under today’s rules.  

There really wasn’t a Mancini equivalent on the roster, I.e. a pending free agent who had some significant trade value.   But if there had been one, I bet Duquette would have held onto him rather than trading him.  And you certainly didn’t see Duquette trading high performing bullpen pieces for prospects, though he did cash in Matt Lindstron to get Joe Saunders.

Would Duquette have brought up Gunnar?  Yeah, I think so.  I also think he would have brought up Grayson Rodriguez prior to the date when Grayson got hurt.   My guess is he would have traded one of our hitting prospects for some pitcher on an expiring contract.

Bah, if Buck was still the manager, Davis never would have retired and he'd still be starting at first base.  Trey would still be here, likely roaming the outfield and backing up Davis at 1st.  And Chirinos would likely be starting with Adley being the backup.  Calm down, I'm joking....at least partly.  

3 hours ago, Snutchy said:

Dan would have Westburg up to play 2B. Buck would have still ran Odor out there.

You wont see Westburg or Henderson until Urian, Mateo, or Odor goes on the DL. That not how Elias rolls. Whatever happens this year is a bonus to the plan.

Buck would have been keeping the starters in longer to teach them to overcome adversity.  We also would likely be 10 games out of the wildcard because of that.   And I loved Buck and hope he wins with the Mets 

• Upvote 1