Odor isn't going anywhere

accinfo

Agree that he isn't a good MLB player at this point and that I'd rather see his PT going to someone else.

We've had the debate a million times, the other "clubhouse presence" stuff is hard to quantify.  It does seem obvious to me that his "combativeness" has rubbed off on a lot of the rest of the team.  Not really a skill that you can put any defined value on, so you either believe in it or you don't.  

He does seem quick on the DP and for the occasional defensive blunder he's made some really nice, big defensive plays as well.  If Hyde is intent on keeping him I'd like to see him in a reserve role.

When the fake Gunnar call-up / Odor DFA thing was going around social media, I immediately thought it was BS because there's no way Odor has played himself off of this team. Nevin would be the first to go in that scenario.

However, I didn't think it was impossible for Gunnar and Odor to exist on the roster together, and my first thought was that if Gunnar was coming up to play 3b, that Urias was going to swing over to 2b and that Odor would be our primary LH pinch hitter. He doesn't strike me as a hitter that needs a few reps to knock one out. He's up there trying to run into one almost every time he's at the plate. To his credit, I've actually seen him place a hit a few times this season, but more often than not, he's a mini, left Mountcastle up there, swinging for the moon.

Edited by Sanfran327

Just now, Sanfran327 said:

When the fake Gunnar call-up / Odor DFA thing was going around social media, I immediately thought it was BS because there's no way Odor has played himself off of this team. Nevin would be the first to go in that scenario.

However, I didn't think it was impossible, and my first thought was that if Gunnar was coming up to play 3b, that Urias was going to swing over to 2b and that Odor would be our primary LH pinch hitter. He doesn't strike me as a hitter that needs a few reps to knock one out. He's up there trying to run into one almost every time he's at the plate. To his credit, I've actually seen him place a hit a few times this season, but more often than not, he's a mini, left Mountcastle up there, swinging for the moon.

Odor is a below replacement level player.  If that’s not playing yourself off the team, I am not sure what is.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Sports Guy said:

Odor is a below replacement level player.  If that’s not playing yourself off the team, I am not sure what is.

Totally agree. But it's just as clear that Hyde likes him, perhaps Elias does too, and he's going to be here until there is real motivation to move on, moreso in the form of a player call-up than his performance (or lack thereof).

16 minutes ago, glenn__davis said:

Agree that he isn't a good MLB player at this point and that I'd rather see his PT going to someone else.

We've had the debate a million times, the other "clubhouse presence" stuff is hard to quantify.  It does seem obvious to me that his "combativeness" has rubbed off on a lot of the rest of the team.  Not really a skill that you can put any defined value on, so you either believe in it or you don't.  

He does seem quick on the DP and for the occasional defensive blunder he's made some really nice, big defensive plays as well.  If Hyde is intent on keeping him I'd like to see him in a reserve role.

He leads the team in COC+ and is 4th in the league.  Pretty good if you ask me. 

COC+ = “Combativeness above Complacency.”   (That’s one of the advanced stats you get when you’re a paying member of baseball reference.  🤣

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

29 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Playing a below replacement level player every night isn’t a feather in your “they know what they are doing” cap.

But winning is.    Maybe just maybe if someone looks at Odor has a individual player he is below average but when considering him as part of the overall team that is winning he fits.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, wildcard said:

But winning is.    Maybe just maybe if someone looks at Odor has a individual player he is below average but when considering him as part of the overall team that is winning he fits.

No, they are winning in spite of him.

They can keep him here as a glorified cheerleader who spells guys once or twice a week and pinch hits on occasion.  Any other role is hurting the team.

Edited by Sports Guy
  • Upvote 1