Odor isn't going anywhere

accinfo

6 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

No, they are winning in spite of him.

They can keep him here as a glorified cheerleader who spells guys once or twice a week and pinch hits on occasion.  Any other role is hurting the team.

Well, Maybe.   He is hurting the team while they win.

3 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

No, they are winning in spite of him.

They can keep him here as a glorified cheerleader who spells guys once or twice a week and pinch hits on occasion.  Any other role is hurting the team.

Your argument is logical and reasonable.  Did you enjoy the win last night?

Odor has his pros and his cons.  I think to say “glorified cheerleader” understates his intangible value to the team.  I’d be very happy if we brought up Henderson, sent down Nevin and cut into Odor’s playing time to get more at bats for Henderson, or some move of that nature.   But Odor’s going to play a fair amount, and I’m okay with it because I don’t want to screw with the team’s internal dynamics too much.  They’re working.  Odor screwed up twice last night but he kept scrapping and came up huge in a big moment.   That helps his young teammates understand that they can overcome their failures as well.   Hopefully they won’t fail as often as Odor does, but the message is still important.  

• Upvote 2
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

Odor has his pros and his cons.  I think to say “glorified cheerleader” understates his intangible value to the team.  I’d be very happy if we brought up Henderson, sent down Nevin and cut into Odor’s playing time to get more at bats for Henderson, or some move of that nature.   But Odor’s going to play a fair amount, and I’m okay with it because I don’t want to screw with the team’s internal dynamics too much.  They’re working.  Odor screwed up twice last night but he kept scrapping and came up huge in a big moment.   That helps his young teammates understand that they can overcome their failures as well.   Hopefully they won’t fail as often as Odor does, but the message is still important.  

I agree about the internal dynamics but just which “young” Orioles is he setting an example for?   I don’t think of Mullins, Hays, and even Rutschman  as players who need that lesson.   I do think there is a team dynamics in place that Hyde believes in but I also think he places great value in Odor’s ability to turn the DP and play shallow RF on the shift.

Hyde just said as much. He cited team defense as the most important reason the team is where they are.

10 hours ago, yark14 said:

What he did tonight shows exactly what his role should be: late inning pinch hitter.  That is it.

100% Correct.  He SHOULD be on the team, but as a PH and occasional match up start.  The only positive stat is his late inning performance.

• Downvote 1

1 hour ago, RZNJ said:

I agree about the internal dynamics but just which “young” Orioles is he setting an example for?   I don’t think of Mullins, Hays, and even Rutschman  as players who need that lesson.   I do think there is a team dynamics in place that Hyde believes in but I also think he places great value in Odor’s ability to turn the DP and play shallow RF on the shift.

Hyde just said as much. He cited team defense as the most important reason the team is where they are.

I think we're discounting that he could be setting an example for some of the pitchers. We often see him out there talking to the pitcher on the mound and whatnot. Who knows.

He won't be back next year, but it will be interesting to see who they like at 2B if they value arm strength over there. We know Henderson has arm strength, but he feels like a waste at 2B. If Westburg is fundamentally sound at turning the DP, he's my bet. 

3 minutes ago, interloper said:

I think we're discounting that he could be setting an example for some of the pitchers. We often see him out there talking to the pitcher on the mound and whatnot. Who knows.

He won't be back next year, but it will be interesting to see who they like at 2B if they value arm strength over there. We know Henderson has arm strength, but he feels like a waste at 2B. If Westburg is fundamentally sound at turning the DP, he's my bet. 

5 minutes ago, interloper said:

Good chance.  Henderson SS or 3B?  Does Mateo stay?

I would like to see young players brought up.   I think we can do better than Odor.   That being said, there are two misconceptions that keep popping up in all the "get rid of Odor" threads that I think need to be addressed:

1) A lot of people say things like "Why is Hyde putting Odor in the lineup every night?".    Given the composition of our roster right now, I think Odor SHOULD be in the lineup vs righthanders, at least when Rutschman is catching.   So that is probably 60-70% of our games.   The alternative would be using Nevin, or moving Vavra from DH to 2B and putting someone like Phillips or McKenna at DH.   I don't think getting Phillips or McKenna's or Nevin's bat in the lineup in place of Odor is worth the potential drop in defense at 2B.   So it isn't really a Hyde-lineup problem, it's a problem with who is on the 26 man roster, which is probably not on Hyde.   With the roster as currently constituted, Odor SHOULD be starting vs RHP when Rutschman is not taking the DH spot.

2) Another thing a lot of people will say is that Odor is keeping someone like Henderson down in the minors.   I don't think that's the case.   It's just the opposite.   We have seen that Elias is very slow -- too slow for most of us -- in promoting top prospects to the majors.   He has a timeline, he has things he wants to see, perhaps he is playing service time games, perhaps not.   But the bottom line is he promotes guys when he promotes them.   And it is not soon enough for the vast majority of us.   We can discuss that all day.   But Odor is not keeping anyone in the minors.   He is filling the spot until we reach whatever magical point that Elias wants to promote a guy.   I think a lot of people take their rightful frustration at Elias's slow-play of prospects out on the guy who is occupying that spot in the majors.   It is not cause and effect, no one is in Norfolk that could be up here because Odor is taking a spot.   They are in Norfolk because Elias hasn't decided to bring them up yet.   Period.   Odor isn't blocking anyone.

• Upvote 2