Here's what MacPhail can do...

JTrea81

To win fans like myself and others back who no longer believe he is fit to be GM of this team. I am still seething over the Tex fiasco but fences can be mended if MacPhail can accomplish the following before the 2010 season:

1. Resolve the Markakis situation.

Preferably with an extension, but if he has no intentions on paying what Markakis wants, deal him now and get it over with. His value is definitely high and we could get 2-3 top prospects back for him. If he doesn't want to extend, trade him now before he gets closer to FA and loses value...

2. Find a long term solution at 1B.

Forget about Hinske or Blalock or Casey. These are all Kevin Millar part II. There are several blocked prospects at 1B like Nick Evans, Joe Koshansky and Kyle Blanks for example that should be available in trade. The Orioles have plenty of trade chips to deal so a 1B shouldn't be that hard to find. Do not count on Rowell or Snyder because either have serious flaws so that they shouldn't be depended on.

3. Find a long term solution at 2B.

Obviously it's not Roberts because he wants out from all reports, so deal him and move on. We might have a solution with Miclat and Hoes but they are too far away to make an impact. Turner might be a solution but he is too a little further away. Players like Donald and DeJesus should be on the radar. But prospects like Lillibridge and Antonelli that have fallen out of favor could be options as well.

4. Find a long term solution at SS.

Izturis is a fine stopgap, but again just like 2B, there isn't much in the system behind him. Prospects that are blocked like Arias and Donald should be looked at. If somehow we are able to draft Green it would be a godsend.

5. Find a long term solution at 3B.

Mora has an option year for 2010 but the Orioles shouldn't have to use it. Again depth is lacking at this position in the system so a 3B prospect should be sought out via trade.

6. Don't sign Steve Trachsels.

Pitchers like Hendrickson and Redding are a waste of money. There's no reason to sign them when you have arms that are available in front of the Big Three including Bergesen and Berken. Give guys like Penn and Patton a shot at cracking the rotation. We've got plenty of arms for those 4 spots. Having a veteran put up a 5.00-6.00 ERA for a year isn't worth it.

Now if you actually want to go out and pay decent money for a starter like Kawakami who could put up a 4.00 ERA, then go ahead, but there is no reason to sign guys that will perform exactly the same as the stockpile of pitchers that we have on the 40 man roster.

If we are going to throw pitchers to the wolves, we might as well see if any of the stockpile we have can survive and if they do, we've got a cheap starter that we can use for the rotation.

7. Lock up Matt Wieters.

This is the most important of all, Matt Wieters is going to be a star, a potential HOFer that will be able to move off of C in his later years and continue to hit IMO. He's the next coming of Piazza with better defense.

MacPhail needs to lock him up at all costs. With Boras as his agent it's going to be imperative that this is done, the minute his service clock starts ticking. It may be unorthodox, but it is the only way we are going to be able to keep Boras from selling Wieters to the Yankees and Red Sox the minute he hits FA. I want to see Wieters go into the HOF as an Oriole.

The fans have waited for a player like this and he's got the chance to be the best homegrown player that's ever played for the Orioles besides Cal Ripken. Don't screw this one up!!!

So that's your charge Andy, if you fail to accomplish these things, you don't deserve to be GM of our Baltimore Orioles. You messed up big time on Tex, but you've got one more year to get things right...

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply
To win fans like myself and others back who no longer believe he is fit to be GM of this team. I am still seething over the Tex fiasco but fences can be mended if MacPhail can accomplish the following before the 2010 season:

Preferably with an extension, but if he has no intentions on paying what Markakis wants, deal him now and get it over with. His value is definitely high and we could get 2-3 top prospects back for him. If he doesn't want to extend, trade him now before he gets closer to FA and loses value...

Forget about Hinske or Blalock or Casey. These are all Kevin Millar part II. There are several blocked prospects at 1B like Nick Evans, Joe Koshansky and Kyle Blanks for example that should be available in trade. The Orioles have plenty of trade chips to deal so a 1B shouldn't be that hard to find. Do not count on Rowell or Snyder because either have serious flaws so that they shouldn't be depended on.

Obviously it's not Roberts because he wants out from all reports, so deal him and move on. We might have a solution with Miclat and Hoes but they are too far away to make an impact. Turner might be a solution but he is too a little further away. Players like Donald and DeJesus should be on the radar. But prospects like Lillibridge and Antonelli that have fallen out of favor could be options as well.

Izturis is a fine stopgap, but again just like 2B, there isn't much in the system behind him. Prospects that are blocked like Arias and Donald should be looked at. If somehow we are able to draft Green it would be a godsend.

Mora has an option year for 2010 but the Orioles shouldn't have to use it. Again depth is lacking at this position in the system so a 3B prospect should be sought out via trade.

Pitchers like Hendrickson and Redding are a waste of money. There's no reason to sign them when you have arms that are available in front of the Big Three including Bergesen and Berken. Give guys like Penn and Patton a shot at cracking the rotation. We've got plenty of arms for those 4 spots. Having a veteran put up a 5.00-6.00 ERA for a year isn't worth it.

Now if you actually want to go out and pay decent money for a starter like Kawakami who could put up a 4.00 ERA, then go ahead, but there is no reason to sign guys that will perform exactly the same as the stockpile of pitchers that we have on the 40 man roster.

If we are going to throw pitchers to the wolves, we might as well see if any of the stockpile we have can survive and if they do, we've got a cheap starter that we can use for the rotation.

7. Lock up Matt Wieters.

This is the most important of all, Matt Wieters is going to be a star, a potential HOFer that will be able to move off of C in his later years and continue to hit IMO. He's the next coming of Piazza with better defense.

MacPhail needs to lock him up at all costs. With Boras as his agent it's going to be imperative that this is done, the minute his service clock starts ticking. It may be unorthodox, but it is the only way we are going to be able to keep Boras from selling Wieters to the Yankees and Red Sox the minute he hits FA. I want to see Wieters go into the HOF as an Oriole.

The fans have waited for a player like this and he's got the chance to be the best homegrown player that's ever played for the Orioles besides Cal Ripken. Don't screw this one up!!!

So that's your charge Andy, if you fail to accomplish these things, you don't deserve to be GM of our Baltimore Orioles. You messed up big time on Tex, but you've got one more year to get things right...

You have always been one of my favorite posters who is very knowledgeable(more than I can say for some poster, SG for instance) this Tex thing has really ruffled your feathers and I don't agree with you but I can feel your pain. I hope you didn't take offense to my post earlier, I was just have some fun with ya. Anyway great post!!!

I just like the idea that he HAS to do all of these things to earn back JTrea's trust. Somewhere MacPhail is sitting quietly in a dark room saying "how can I earn back JTrea's trust?"

Well the bottom line is these are the things he needs to do...He needs to find long term solutions for at least 2 of the IF spots. He has to not piss money away and he needs to continue to add depth and talent to this organization.

Also, keeping his own is also important.

Jtrea is, of course, going overboard with everything lately but ultimately, those are the things AM must do.

7. Lock up Matt Wieters.

All of this would be great.

No gm in baseball could do it.

Well the bottom line is these are the things he needs to do...He needs to find long term solutions for at least 2 of the IF spots. He has to not piss money away and he needs to continue to add depth and talent to this organization.

Jtrea is, of course, going overboard with everything lately but ultimately, those are the things AM must do.

This is my point, the bolded statements don't align with getting JTrea's list of things done in a year. It's just not possible.

The only way we can accomplish these things is to trade our pitching prospects.

Where has he pissed money away? Just wondering. I agree that we need long-term 1B, 3B, and SS options. I also agree he moves a bit too slow, but I am not as critical of the job he is doing as some. Remember, he does some of his best work later in the off-season.;)

Has Boras ever allowed a big time client to extend through any of his FA years?

The only player that I can think of that went against Scott Boras was Rocco Baldelli when Baldelli fired him. He went against Boras advise and signed an extension with the Tampa in November 2005. Baldelli negotiated the contract himself that had club options past the 6 year free agency years.

Where has he pissed money away? Just wondering. I agree that we need long-term 1B, 3B, and SS options. I also agree he moves a bit too slow, but I am not as critical of the job he is doing as some. Remember, he does some of his best work later in the off-season.;)

So far, just Trax.

But the pitching he is looking at qualifies as that and you could argue that Izturis was pissing money away, even if he lives up to his contract(which I expect to do).

So you're giving AM a year to do all that? I'm glad you're not my boss.

He's got until Opening Day 2010. Any competent ML GM could pull that off in a season and an offseason with the chips we have to deal and the resources we have.

And if he has to trade young pitching and or Markakis and Guthrie to do it, so be it.

But it is possible to do all those things and it doesn't have to take 3-4 years to do all of this. He's had 1 and a half seasons and two offseasons already, so he's behind the 8 ball.

He's got until Opening Day 2010. Any competent ML GM could pull that off in a season and an offseason with the chips we have to deal.

LMFAO, you're really off the deep end now. The chips we have to deal are the chips we need to compete. So you're willing to throw away our starting rotation of the future to do the things you listed?

Archived