O's Fans Held Hostage - Day 18

bigbird

Good post, BB. Here's what bothers me: http://weblogs.baltimoresun.com/sports/schmuck/2008/12/orioles_catching_up.html

Yes, he's trading phone calls as it says in the article from Pete, but still missing out on Tex I think he should be in town trying to put deals together. Then again, PA probably told him to get some R&R and told him we'll take care of business after the New Year.:rolleyes::angryfire:

If anti AM is a good post then fine but most of baseball shuts down for the holidays. That is why in normal years a large majority of the FA's are off the market. You can say we should be active and I would not disagree but the teams that are patient are going to get some bargains. The big contracts for the most part have been given. After Jan 1. the teams have the upper hand.

• Replies 313
  • Created
  • Last Reply
MacPhail is currently watching price tags decline. Lowe, Sheets and Wolf prices are all dropping. If they drop, the guys under them drop. Wolf wants three years. He is probably not going to get it. Pettitte is still considering his reduction from 16 to 10M.

Clubs are saying more and more that they are done adding or are decreasing their budgets. The crunch is coming.

MacPhail is playing the game. I wouldn't hold my breath wanting for him.

The question remains, as the price declines, will these free agents be willing to join a team that has very low expectations for winning or would they rather join teams where post season is a greater likelihood?

Really?

This is the most absurd thing I have ever read on the Hangout.

A man who works almost everyday of the year isnt allowed to take a week off?

Hell, even the Yankees offices are closed this week.

Some of you people forget the human aspect of baseball. :rolleyes:

Hey, we are all entitled to our thoughts, right. It MIGHT have been a good idea to try and work some deals while others were vacationing. You can always vacation after the holidays. While others are basking in the sun we may have been able to sign a few FAs. It could be that a few players will be signed while he is R&Ring and players that we may have been targeting. OK. There have been other absurd posts on this site such as I am going to hang myself if we don't sign Tex.

Really?

This is the most absurd thing I have ever read on the Hangout.

A man who works almost everyday of the year isnt allowed to take a week off?

Hell, even the Yankees offices are closed this week.

Some of you people forget the human aspect of baseball. :rolleyes:

The Skanks also signed CC, A.J. and Teixeira. Somehow, I doubt that Freel and Izturis stand up. ;)

You are not held hostage. You may leave whenever you like.

Unless they have already developed Stockholm syndrome. :wedge:

Eventhough I don't like the pace or the results that have happened so far, I think that things will pickup after the holidays. Hopefully, the FO hits the ground running and some of the things that happen are in out favor.

There really isn't anything urgent that needs to be done. We're not going to sign anyone who actually helps us win at this point, just placeholders.

Anybody who really cares about which retread we sign to start 30 games this year so that Tillman, Matusz, and Arrieta can develop in the minors has misplaced priorities, IMO. As long as we don't commit any money in 2010 and beyond, I'll be happy with whomever we sign. 2009 is irrelevant in terms of wins and losses.

I would love for us to extend Markakis and Roberts, though. Those would be wise moves for the future. Or trading Roberts if he refuses to extend, which I think is likely.

No, we don't. We need to sign one guy to eat innings. Let the kids go out and pitch.

Guthrie

FA (Kawakami, hopefully)

Olson

Albers

Penn

If someone needs to be replaced, you have Hernandez, Bergesen, Berken in AAA who are all going to be ML ready by June, IMO. You laso have Waters and Bass who can start if needed. I really want to keep Liz in the pen, but would still rather see him start than Redding/Hendrickson. I think Patton, Arrieta, and Tillman could be ready by the AS Break.

Didn't we "let the kids" pitch enough already? Olson has done nothing to suggest he should be a #5, and you want him as a #3? Albers is solid in the pen...why can't we let him continue in a role he's good at? Penn is off an on in AAA. So, of course he's a logical choice? Just for once, wouldn't it be nice to promote kids when they are ready? It's much more attractive to "let the kids play" when you have kids who appear to be ready. Currently...we don't. Your rotation would decimate the bullpen my May.

Held hostage? Because he hasn't concluded his off-season personnel business by XMAS?

Sure sounds like an open-minded attitude to me ;-)

My bride went to the store. I'm hoping she gets some more Candy Cane Oreo's. (They're way too good.)

It's been about 90 minutes.

"Shack Held Hostage - Hour 2"

MacPhail is currently watching price tags decline. Lowe, Sheets and Wolf prices are all dropping. If they drop, the guys under them drop. Wolf wants three years. He is probably not going to get it. Pettitte is still considering his reduction from 16 to 10M.

Clubs are saying more and more that they are done adding or are decreasing their budgets. The crunch is coming.

MacPhail is playing the game. I wouldn't hold my breath wanting for him.

And, when you wait for the price tag on your shiny new Taurus to decline just a little more...someone else who isn't quite as cheap buys it. Have fun getting your used, 93 Taurus with 237k miles, a dent in the door, and a shotty exhaust system because you waited too long. Sure, you'll need to replace it in 2 years, spend a lot on repairs, and inevitably get stranded on the highway when it breaks down...but hey, at least you didn't spend $1300 more than you wanted to on the new one!

Held hostage? Because he hasn't concluded his off-season personnel business by XMAS?

Sure sounds like an open-minded attitude to me ;-)

My bride went to the store.

I'm hoping she gets some more Candy Cane Oreos. (They're way too good.)

It's been about 90 minutes.

"Shack Held Hostage - Hour 2"

Holy crap...do Candy Cane Oreos actually exist? Please say you aren't toying with me...

Didn't we "let the kids" pitch enough already? Olson has done nothing to suggest he should be a #5, and you want him as a #3? Albers is solid in the pen...why can't we let him continue in a role he's good at? Penn is off an on in AAA. So, of course he's a logical choice? Just for once, wouldn't it be nice to promote kids when they are ready? It's much more attractive to "let the kids play" when you have kids who appear to be ready. Currently...we don't. Your rotation would decimate the bullpen my May.

We don't have anyone who has stood out amongst the crowd, so arguing who should be #3 or #5 is kind of pointless. Spots 2-5 are open.

Albers was good in the bullpen, but he was also good when he started. Trembley has already committed to him as a starter to begin the year. Also, we have plenty of candidates for the bullpen that Albers can afford to be moved.

Penn is out of options so he is in the rotation, the bullpen, or waivers.

These rotations are horrible but luckily we have enough pitchers on the roster we can move them back and forth and hopefully keep them fresh.

Archived