How does the roster/lineup shake out next year

casadeozo

With Mateo seemingly turning around his season and potentially being an asset going forward, wondering what folks see as the best plan in 2023?

Is Urias a starter next year? Is he replaced by Henderson at 3rd and moved to 2nd or to a utility position?

What does that mean for Westburg? 

In the outfield we assume Stowers has a place and Cowser appears ready for a call up by June so that assumes a trade of Hays or Santander. Though not sure how much value either actually has. Same for Mountcastle.

The Mountcastle/Hays types are certainly not Elias type players but are a bug part of the winning this year. Would Elias trade these guys and have the roster look very different next year after such a big leap this year?

I think you’ve summarized it well. Not sure how it’ll work out though. Stowers could have more value as a trade chip than Santander, for example, so he could be one on the move.

Cowser, to me, is our most valuable future outfielder. Santander, Hays, Mullins and Stowers will be on thinner ice in Baltimore, I’d guess. Kjerstad is a ways away. Haskins is worth keeping an eye on if he can maintain his recent production.

And Westburg will be in the infield at some point. Not sure if he’ll be a starter over Urias or a util backup just because of the quality of guys in front of him.

For the outfield: Mullins, Stowers, and one of Santander/Hays as the starters. One of Santander/Hays is dealt in the offseason for pitching. Whichever stays (or Mullins) has a chance of being traded midseason when Cowser comes up, assuming everyone is healthy. One of McKenna/Phillips probably still around as 4th OF.

For the infield: 3b Henderson, Ss Mateo, 2b Urias, 1b Mountcastle to start the year. Westburg as utility IF and injury insurance. Vavra as general utility guy / frequent DH. 

That + Rutschman and a random backup C is the offensive roster. 

It's hard to see them changing the entire infield so Mateo would seem like the likely player to stay UNLESS they envision Henderson as a SS for the next 5-6 years and want to put him there.     I could see Urias or Westburg used as a super utility IF playing all 3 positions with the other being the 2B.

Very complex decisions to be made here.  I could speculate about it, but I’d rather do that once this season ends.  If Mateo hits well over the final 50 games, as he has for the last 40, that’s one thing; if he reverts to his May/June form down the stretch, that’s something else. Word from BA is they think he can be an above average defensive SS.  It’s tempting to give him the opportunity to prove it, but Mateo still looks to be the superior defender, so if his bat holds up the rest of the year and just don’t see the O’s screwing around with that.  Lots of other similar moving pieces.  

Spring training next year could be fascinating.  

OF Hays, Mullins, Stowers, McKenna, Phillips

DH Santander 

3B Henderson 

SS Mateo

2B Vavra

1B Mountcastle 

C Rutschman  BC Chirinos 

Utility INF Urias

SP Gray Rod, Hall , Wells, Kremer, Lyles

MRP Akin, Watkins, Voth, Krehbiel, Bradish 

Setup Perez, Tate

Closer Bautista 

++++++ I don’t dare try to predict free agents or trades+++++

Edited by Roll Tide

2 hours ago, casadeozo said:

With Mateo seemingly turning around his season and potentially being an asset going forward, wondering what folks see as the best plan in 2023?

Is Urias a starter next year? Is he replaced by Henderson at 3rd and moved to 2nd or to a utility position?

What does that mean for Westburg? 

In the outfield we assume Stowers has a place and Cowser appears ready for a call up by June so that assumes a trade of Hays or Santander. Though not sure how much value either actually has. Same for Mountcastle.

The Mountcastle/Hays types are certainly not Elias type players but are a bug part of the winning this year. Would Elias trade these guys and have the roster look very different next year after such a big leap this year?

You pose a good question that I have thought about a lot lately.

As it appears now, the team has more players including the ones coming like Henderson, Stowers, and Westburg than there are spots (particularly given the in season improvement of Mateo into possibly part of next year's plans.

The only thing separating this team from the true World series/championship contenders is starting pitching. We currently have 4 decent "5 and dive guys" and Lyles who is able to go a little bit deeper.

Next year with hopefully Rodriguez being healthy and means coming back in maybe the second half that leaves us in my opinion with needing to add 2 top of the rotation guys to get to being in the class of the Yanks, Astros, Dodgers, Mets.

Maybe we can sign both in FA or we can sign one and trade for another? I know it's been suggested by some that we consider Pablo Lopez from MIA. But I keep wondering how much better is he than what we already have? And is he worth giving up real assets for the 2 years remaining of team control?

Either way, having too much positional talent is a good problem to have.

I suspect we might see some trades. Santander would be a likely candidate, in that Stowers has already proven himself at Triple-A, but it depends on what you can receive in return. With the new LF at Camden Yards you really need two guys in the OF with good range. I think Stowers is closer to Santander on the defensive side of things. Cowser is probably closer to Hays (with maybe a bit more range), in that he'll cover a lot of ground in LF, but might be a stretch avg CF vs Mullins who is a plus defensive CF. If Cowser is ready in June (or so), maybe Hays is a deadline trade chip. I could also see them trying to move Mountcastle, and having Santander/Stowers get in work at 1b. 

All of that said, if Cowser (who is probably the best trade chip) can get you a Lopez from Miami (as part of a package)...I might do that

C- Adley/Handley

1B- Mountcastle

2B- Urias/Vavra

SS - Mateo

3B - Henderson

LF - Hays/Stowers/Vavra

CF - Mullins

RF - Stowers/Hays/Santander

DH - Santander/Urias/Vavra/Stowers

Phillips is probably DFA'd, and McKenna will be that 4th OF, unless he's a small part of a trade. Henderson can give Mateo a break every once in awhile at SS, Urias can fill in a 3rd if neccessary, and I think the young Maverick Handley can come in and back up Rutchman. I think Mountcastle gets one more season to make some adjustments before being deemed Mark Trumbo Jr and Elias looks to trade him.

I believe Westburg will be the main piece in a trade for Starting Pitching. I think Urias, Santander, Mullins, and Hays begin the season with the team, but could possibly be traded by next year's deadline based on the development of Cowser, Norby, and Ortiz.

Whatever pitcher we acquire with Westburg as the headline will be added to GrayRod and T. Wells.  I think Elias signs one FA Starting Pitcher as well.  That means one or 2 of Kremer, Zimmerman, Bradish, Watkins and DL Hall need to emerge to hold on to the final spot or two at the end of the rotation. 

I think the Bullpen looks very similar with possibly the addition of DL Hall in a Hader type role. Maybe Cano rises up too.

1 hour ago, WarehouseChatter said:

I keep having this thought that Mountcastle won’t be part of our 2023 team.  I’m not sure he would command much of a return, but as I look at our team and where we could make improvements, 1B is an area we could target.  It could even be bringing in someone with a veteran presence.  

Agreed would love to add a middle order bat to the lineup at 1B similar to what Atlanta did this offseason with Matt Olson, though they obviously paid a steep price in prospects for him. I certainly dont things Westburg is enough to headline any trade.

1 hour ago, WarehouseChatter said:

I keep having this thought that Mountcastle won’t be part of our 2023 team.  I’m not sure he would command much of a return, but as I look at our team and where we could make improvements, 1B is an area we could target.  It could even be bringing in someone with a veteran presence.  

I agree. He’s our new Mancini.