2023 Rotation

Bahama O's Fan

11 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

No they aren't.  Holliday is viewed way higher.

Sure but he also has the lowest rated guy, Stowers, in that package.   The Marlins guy actually said he’d prefer #2 so I think it’s fair to say they’re comparable even though you clearly feel #1 is more valuable.

14 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

What are the fans/organizations impression of Cabrera?

Have heard Bowden talk about him several times, saying he should be traded.

I love Edward Cabrera personally.  I think he is what Sandy was circa 2019. He is gonna be a big deal in the next few years. That said, I'd be willing to deal him for a fair package. He would never haul what Sandy can get, but he is comparable to what Pablo Lopez could net. I'd say Edward is probably our third best pitcher at the moment. He has a higher ceiling than Pablo, imo. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Mavericksouth said:

I love Edward Cabrera personally.  I think he is what Sandy was circa 2019. He is gonna be a big deal in the next few years. That said, I'd be willing to deal him for a fair package. He would never haul what Sandy can get, but he is comparable to what Pablo Lopez could net. I'd say Edward is probably our third best pitcher at the moment. He has a higher ceiling than Pablo, imo. 

Yea, as I look at his stats, there are things to like and things to be wary of.  Certainly like his upside though.

Grade: 55/High

Midseason Update: Cabrera showed what he was capable of over the course of a few big league starts but ultimately got hit by the injury bug again. He's been on the IL since June 15 with right elbow tendinitis. 

Track Record: Cabrera has long been one of the best pitching prospects in the Miami system. He signed for $100,000 in 2015, then put himself on the map with a big year in 2019. Injuries to his back and biceps have limited him in each of the past two seasons, but he showed enough in the minors this year to earn a seven-start callup to the big leagues. With the Marlins, Cabrera's control and command showed they needed a bit more polish, but the pure stuff was encouraging enough to project as a long-term piece of Miami's rotation.

Scouting Report: Cabrera's biggest weapon is his fastball, which sits in the upper 90s, but could be even more effective with improved command. If he can throw more quality strikes with his heater, his upside will become more attainable. Already armed with a three-pitch mix of fastball, curveball and changeup, Cabrera began working on a slider this year in Triple-A. The pitch features short, sweeping break in the upper-80s and served as a fine complement to his low-80s, downer curveball. Both breaking pitches take a backseat to his changeup, which settled in at an average of 93 mph. At its best, the changeup shows late fade life away from lefties and is deceptive because of the conviction with which it is thrown. Cabrera relied heavily on his offspeeds in Triple-A, where he threw his fastball just 26% of the time.

The Future: Cabrera has plenty of upside to pitch in the middle of a rotation, but he needs to sharpen his command and fringe-average control to reach that ceiling. He learned that lesson against big league hitters, who reached him for hard contact and walks in the late stages of the season. He'll likely head back to Triple-A for more seasoning.

Scouting Grades: Fastball: 70. Curveball: 60. Slider: 50 Changeup: 50. Control: 45.

BA Grade: 60/Very High

Track Record: The Orioles got a premium talent when Hall fell to them as the 21st pick in the 2017 draft and signed for $3 million, considering he was considered the best prep lefty in that class. Hall has been impressive when healthy, and in each of his first two full seasons—the second featuring a trip to the Futures Game in 2019—he got better as the season went on. But after thriving at the team's alternate training site in 2020 and coming into 2021 with high expectations, Hall made just seven starts for Double-A Bowie, albeit dominant ones, before a stress reaction in his elbow ended his 2021 early.

Scouting Report: Hall honed his electric arsenal at the alternate site and hit 100 mph for the first time there. He carried that into 2021 in a significant way, with his fastball sitting in the high 90s and averaging 97 mph with above-average hop. The efforts of 2020 to distinguish his breaking balls paid off, with a plus slider in the mid 80s the best of his secondaries, followed by a slower curveball and a changeup. Hall's command, however, will be what determines his big league fate. It improved since his last game-action in 2019, and while his walk rate of 4.6 per nine innings was still high, the Orioles believe he was more consistently around the strike zone without sacrificing the chase his dynamic arsenal creates.

The Future: Hall's stuff and control create the possibility of a high-leverage, late-inning reliever, but despite his injuries, he has a ceiling of a No. 3 starter. He'll be added to the 40-man roster this winter but could be back at Double-A Bowie in 2022.

Scouting Grades
Fastball: 70. Curveball: 55. Slider: 60. Changeup: 55. Control: 45

30 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Maverick thinks we overrate our guys.  He never met a Marlins pitching prospect he didn’t love.  How can a team with 6 pitching prospects better than D.L. Hall be rated #20 in organization rankings by BA?    

You seem determined to provoke a fight with me? My question is why? I'm here to talk ball with baseball fans. If you want to get into a urinating contest, please redirect that to someone who wishes to engage in that kind of behavior.

As for the baseball discussion, if you like Hall, great! Keep him. And if he turns into a stud, awesome for the Orioles. I'll be very happy for you guys. But again, Hall nor any other pitcher that the Orioles could offer solves the Marlins problems which is we don't have offense. We already have an abundance of arms that the organization likes. 

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, Mavericksouth said:

You seem determined to provoke a fight with me? My question is why? I'm here to talk ball with baseball fans. If you want to get into a urinating contest, please redirect that to someone who wishes to engage in that kind of behavior.

As for the baseball discussion, if you like Hall, great! Keep him. And if he turns into a stud, awesome for the Orioles. I'll be very happy for you guys. But again, Hall nor any other pitcher that the Orioles could offer solves the Marlins problems which is we don't have offense. We already have an abundance of arms that the organization likes. 

It’s what he does.

Your last point is correct.  It’s why the 2 teams match up so well.  You have pitching, we have offense.  We need pitching, you need offense. 

Edited by Sports Guy

2 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

It’s what he does.

Your last point is correct.  It’s why the 2 teams match up so well.  You have pitching, we have offense.  We need pitching, you need offense. 

I guess if the O's have to slightly overpay for pitching in trades it will partly make up for all the high round pitchers the O's didn't draft that would have suffered severe arm injuries.