Hays and Mountcastle are the Problem

baltfan

12 hours ago, baltfan said:

This team needs them to hit like middle of the order bats.  They haven’t for months except Mountcastle against the Blue Jays.  

Hays in July and August  -  566, 467 OPS

Mountcastle in July and August - 541, 661 OPS

Kinda interesting that the best argument for calling up Henderson et al might be Hays and Mountcastle’s struggles. 

Welp it’s easy to put up numbers on a losing team when the scouts aren’t directing their attention so much. Mountcastle would be decent in the 7th spot if he were a 3B. Hays is just forever hurt. 

If they both finish the final 6 weeks in a slump it might be time for Elias to consider replacing one or both of them. Problem is they wont have trade value if the both finish with an OPS around what they have now. If they drop below .700 they definitely will not have trade value. Then what do you do? DFA them? Trade them for AAA pitching depth or lottery tickets? 

Just now, jabba72 said:

If they both finish the final 6 weeks in a slump it might be time for Elias to consider replacing one or both of them. Problem is they wont have trade value if the both finish with an OPS around what they have now. If they drop below .700 they definitely will not have trade value. Then what do you do? DFA them? Trade them for AAA pitching depth or lottery tickets? 

You should never be afraid to release a guy if you are sure he isn't going to contribute.

Don't use a 40 man slot because you are afraid of consequences.

I'm not suggesting the O's should release either of them.

I thought the same thing yesterday, and I would also like to have a leadoff man with a real good  on base ave.   I know Mullins has some speed but you cannot steal 1st. base.  The consolation is that with a few fine tinkerings  this team will be set for quite a while.  Need a big bopper in middle of lineup, and of course another real major league starter.  Compared to  the past number of years, we are so close, I can only hope that the rebuilding job gets completed,  so 2023 is a year to make us forget those past many years.  

2 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

I don’t think it’s fair to say they are the problem but I do think they are a big key to the offense being better. 

People have higher expectations of those two players than other players for a reason. 

Yea, I don’t think it’s fair to blame them. You blame the team for not having a better team around them.

That said, those 2 sucking really pulls the team down.

2 minutes ago, Gentile4 said:

Yes, Mountcastle's slump has been extended, but do you really give up on a 25 year old that put up a 33 homer 90 RBI season the year before?

It’s not as much giving up, it’s setting the proper expectations.

Hes not a bad player.  His defense has gotten pretty good at first.  He runs well.  He has power.  But he’s a limited offensive player and the ceiling is only so high.  

You don’t keep him around once he starts to get expensive…unless he really changes his approach.

27 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

It’s not as much giving up, it’s setting the proper expectations.

Hes not a bad player.  His defense has gotten pretty good at first.  He runs well.  He has power.  But he’s a limited offensive player and the ceiling is only so high.  

You don’t keep him around once he starts to get expensive…unless he really changes his approach.

I think you are correct that when he becomes a little more expensive he is likely to be moved.  By then you will have Kjerstad, Cowser, and Stowers ready and only so many spots available for them.  On top of that, in the wings you will might have Fabian and Beavers.  These guys have to have a place to play and a guy whose on base skills and chase rate are what Mountcastle's are is unlikely to remain around.  

It's also part of figuring out roster construction.  It's easier to carry/start a great glove and no hit guy like Mateo was (it remains to be seen if the change with him is a long term thing) when the rest of the lineup is full of mashers and solid hitters.  But when your first baseman is hitting at about the same clip as Mateo was then that makes 2 holes in the lineup.  I'm not saying we should give up on him, but we need to figure out what's going on.  Was the 33 home run and 90 RBI season last year the exception, and what he's doing now is the 'rule', or is this prolonged slump the exception, and his performance will normally be better than this.  Him and Hays slumping like this really makes the lineup weak, especially when we throw an Odor, Nevin, and/or Phillips into the lineup.  I know I'm beating a dead horse, but we REALLY need to drop some of this dead weight and bring up more of the kids.  

6 hours ago, Mooreisbetter27 said:

Where are you getting your numbers from?  Henderson has only been at Norfolk part of this year.  He has 32 bb to 66 k's at Norfolk.  His entire minor league career is 140/275 bb/k.  So slightly less than 1/2 ra

Stowers is 57/136 in Norfolk.  His totality of his minor career is 138/328.  So it's closer to what you posted but still quite a bit off.

I'm a little baffled as to where you're getting these numbers.  

Sorry they are his combined numbers for this season…same with Stowers…baseball reference 

https://www.baseball-reference.com/register/player.fcgi?id=hender000gun

22 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

Sorry they are his combined numbers for this season…same with Stowers…baseball reference 

https://www.baseball-reference.com/register/player.fcgi?id=hender000gun

Your numbers still don't add up though.  You said Gunnar had walked 83 times and k'ed 247 times.  His entirety of his minor league career he's walked 140 and k'ed 275.  So I am not following your logic or where you're getting your numbers.  Baseball reference is also where I went and nowhere does that support your numbers unless I'm really bad at reading these charts.  

You say combined numbers for this season, what do you mean?  You honestly believe Gunnar struck out 247 times this year and Stowers struck out 328?

What am I missing here?

• Downvote 1