Henderson coming up this week?

Roll Tide

17 minutes ago, MarCakes21 said:

Is the rule top two or top 3 for extra year?

If the player finishes in the top 2 for ROY, he gets a full year of service regardless of when he started.    If he was on the team for the full year and finishes in the top 3, the team gets an extra draft pick.  

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

If the player finishes in the top 2 for ROY, he gets a full year of service regardless of when he started.    If he was on the team for the full year and finishes in the top 3, the team gets an extra draft pick.  

What's going to hurt with Adley even more is that I think his performance will be good enough to have earned the O's at least a second and maybe a third extra draft pick the next two years had he not been hurt and been up on opening day.

What difference at this point does Henderson coming up today for example, vs. Sept 1 on roster expansion have?  Is there still the playoff eligibility rules?  Assuming he's up day 1 next season, and a ROY candidate for the extra year, does today vs. Sept 1 change any of that calculus?  

A few weeks ago I guessed that they would announce today Gunnar is joining the team in Cleveland. Whether they announce today or tomorrow I still suspect he comes up tomorrow. 

Reading the tea leaves:

• It's late enough to retain rookie status but early enough to join the postseason roster. 
  • The games at different positions last week seem like a callup prelude.
  • It's the beginning of the week, when most minor promotions have been happening (albeit not necessarily the AAA-MLB ones).
  • Elias' comments about getting him up on 9/1 "maybe sooner."
  • Roch's comment about Gunnar rumored coming up "this week"— of course it's a week later now, but considering he posted that, and as far as I know did not post any sort of mea culpa like he did the time he was tricked by a fake account, makes me think it was something he actually heard discussion of within the Orioles. 

1 minute ago, baltfan said:

The Orioles should call Gunnar up but I agree with not bringing him up while it could affect his ROY eligibility.  He should be up at the beginning of next year because of the draft pick stuff.

His ROY status isn’t effected at this point.  They could have brought him up 5 days ago or OD 2023 and nothing would be different on that side of things.

If they call him up it should be for 3B, with Urias/Odor in some sort of time share at 2B.  I like our defense as is, but we really need the OPS upgrade he would present over Odor the rest of the season.  Those extra runs mean everything when this WC race is so close, and we're playing so many close games.  

3 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

If they call him up it should be for 3B, with Urias/Odor in some sort of time share at 2B.  I like our defense as is, but we really need the OPS upgrade he would present over Odor the rest of the season.  Those extra runs mean everything when this WC race is so close, and we're playing so many close games.  

You could bench Odor while keeping Urias at 3B. Urias has been excellent at 3B, much better than he was at 2B last year. Seems like Gunnar has been playing a lot of 2B and 1B lately. 

37 minutes ago, Spy Fox said:

• Roch's comment about Gunnar rumored coming up "this week"— of course it's a week later now, but considering he posted that, and as far as I know did not post any sort of mea culpa like he did the time he was tricked by a fake account, makes me think it was something he actually heard discussion of within the Orioles. 

On a podcast the next day Roch said he had no confirmation of Gunnar coming up within the Orioles. All he had was "rumors" which I strongly suspect were Twitter posts that were circulating at the time. Unless Roch comes out with anything more specific I would not see his comment as an indicator of anything. 

If Gunnar comes up, it's Nevin down right? I think that happens regardless of whether it's now or Sept.1. I would think the extra two roster spots go to Hall and another pitcher (eventually Tyler Wells...and would be great if Grayson got a few relief innings in the big leagues to end the year too, though that's a longshot at best). Given the bullpen's fatigue, it would make sense to add some arms and hopefully minimize the innings on the main arms in the pen. 

Henderson (if promoted) can play primarily 3B though I can see the argument to keep Urias there given his defense. I could also see Henderson giving Mountcastle a few extra days off (and it seems he can use them when not playing Toronto). He can also play some at 2B and even given Mateo some rest at SS. 

4 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Ideally, I'd like us to call Gunnar up for 3B.  Send Nevin down.  Then sign Jesus Aguillar on 9/1.  I don't see a need for Nevin with the roster only being 28.  Aguillar would give us a RH bat to combat our woes vs LHP.  Even if just as a PH.  

He has a 632 OPs vs lefties and it’s not like we have some easy to hit in right handed hitters park anymore.

10 minutes ago, jamalshw said:

If Gunnar comes up, it's Nevin down right? I think that happens regardless of whether it's now or Sept.1. I would think the extra two roster spots go to Hall and another pitcher (eventually Tyler Wells...and would be great if Grayson got a few relief innings in the big leagues to end the year too, though that's a longshot at best). Given the bullpen's fatigue, it would make sense to add some arms and hopefully minimize the innings on the main arms in the pen. 

Henderson (if promoted) can play primarily 3B though I can see the argument to keep Urias there given his defense. I could also see Henderson giving Mountcastle a few extra days off (and it seems he can use them when not playing Toronto). He can also play some at 2B and even given Mateo some rest at SS. 

Elias said the other day that the 9/1 call-ups will most likely be one pitcher and one hitter.