Henderson coming up this week?

Roll Tide

1 hour ago, e16bball said:

Yes, I think we can all see the writing on the wall here. The related next step is obvious:

Gunnar down to Bowie to get some reps in CF. None available in Norfolk with Phillips there. This is what we’ve been waiting for…he is going to be ready

Probably should try to catch to, Would help to spare Adley in the future 

6 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

9/1 call up means he’s not eligible for postseason unless injuries occur.

No reason to wait 3 more days because of that.

https://www.mlb.com/glossary/transactions/postseason-roster-rules-eligibility

I believe even though they don’t count on the 40 man the players who are on the 60 day DL can be used for this purpose. I would like it if someone can confirm that or not. There have been some rule changes recently.  

30 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

I had the 30th against the White Sox at home as the date pegged for Henderson's promotion for awhile now. With the promotion of Ortiz, you gotta imagine he's getting the call.

O's start their series with Cleveland tomorrow, if they don't call him up soon he's not eligible for the playoffs, correct? Either today or tomorrow have to be the days for him to be called up or I don't think we see him this year. 

3 minutes ago, baltimoreO's22 said:

O's start their series with Cleveland tomorrow, if they don't call him up soon he's not eligible for the playoffs, correct? Either today or tomorrow have to be the days for him to be called up or I don't think we see him this year. 

I'm not sure if that's true as there have been players make their Major League debuts in the postseason (Shane McClanahan comes to mind with the Rays in 2020). If I'm not mistaken he wasn't on the 40-man roster either. Although I guess the rules could've changed with the latest CBA. 

2 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

I'm waiting for the fallout when Henderson is finally called up to play .......... 1B!    Odor survives!    Nevin goes down.  Mountcastle to the bench or worse.

I do think we see Henderson play some 1B (or at least take some of Mountcastle's ABs with one of the players we've seen take ground balls at 1B this season at 1B). Mountcastle is clearly in need of a breather. I don't think he'll be relegated to the bench, but do think he could lose the occasional start.

18 minutes ago, jamalshw said:

I'm not sure if that's true as there have been players make their Major League debuts in the postseason (Shane McClanahan comes to mind with the Rays in 2020). If I'm not mistaken he wasn't on the 40-man roster either. Although I guess the rules could've changed with the latest CBA. 

I thought you could work around that rule if you had a player that was required to go to the 60 day DL?  Technically we could "promote" any of our injured players, then transfer them to the 60 day DL.  If memory serves me correctly.  We haven't been in this position in awhile.  

Nevin being the only real backup 1B has kept him alive, IMO. We need someone, like Santander or Urias, to be adequate as an occasional 1B back-up. Almost anyone should be able to do it just tough mid-season. But what do I know. Maybe it is Gunnar and definitely why they tried him over there.

5 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I thought you could work around that rule if you had a player that was required to go to the 60 day DL?  Technically we could "promote" any of our injured players, then transfer them to the 60 day DL.  If memory serves me correctly.  We haven't been in this position in awhile.  

You can. As long as a player is in the organization on 8/31, he can replace someone on the IL. Here is the relevant language:

A player who doesn't meet said criteria for postseason eligibility can still be added to a team's roster in the postseason via petition to the Commissioner's Office if the player was in the organization on Aug. 31 and is replacing someone who is on the injured list and has served the minimum amount of time required for activation. (For example, a player on the 10-day injured list who has been on it for at least 10 days, or a player who has been on the 60-day injured list for at least 60 days.) 

https://www.mlb.com/glossary/transactions/postseason-roster-rules-eligibility