Log-Jam at Norfolk

Crazysilver03

Here is my take...light on top, but a lot of decisions in the bottom rungs.

MLB:

Starters:

Guthrie, Olson, Liz, Albers, Penn

Bullpen:

Sherill, Ray, Baez, Johnson, Walker, Hendrickson, Sarfate

AAA:

Starters:

Patton, Bergeson, Hernandez, Waters, Hennessey

Bullpen:

McCrory, Hoey, J. Miller, A. Castillo, Burres, Chiasson, Mickolio, R. Wolf/Bass

AA:

Starters:

Tillman, Berken, Arrieta, Spoone/Clark, Erbe

Bullpen:

Deza, Casadiego, Dan Smith, C. Thall, R. Rodriegez, Keefer, Perralt

A+

Starters:

Matusz, Z. Britton, P Beato, T. Bascom, S. Gleason/Kyle Schmidt/Renshaw

Bullpen:

Mattiliano, Flagello, Jeff Moore, Barb, Parker, Oullette, Bordes

A-

Starters:

Butler, Noel, Zagone, McCurry, Egans/Marriotti

Bullpen:

Drake, Esposito, Cooney, Salberg, Williamson, Allar, Kirbis/A. Miller/S. Matthews

Aberdeen:

Possible Starters:

Haughian, Moreau, Odom, K. Moreland,

Bullpen:

Jake Smith, R. O'Shea, Procner

I believed released/lost:

Mueller, Lebron, Schindling, Touchatt, Andy Mitchell, Simon, Bass

Log-Jam at Norfolk? This season? Wait a season or two and then you'll see a log-jam!

Even if only 1/3 of these kids shake out; that's too many to have at CY.

Maybe it's AM's master plan to stockpile as many decent arms as possible and trade, trade and trade!

Free agency sure isn't working out for the O's.

Other than the big guy behind the plate, who off the mound is truly generating any kind of buzz?

So, lets hope; all these arms (from top to bottom) do extremely well and cause a massive log-jam at Norfolk as early as next season.....AM makes a trade or two, then, maybe, things might change in Baltimore.

The O's future is what's behind today's log-jam at Norfolk.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Every time I hear a knock on the big three it tends to be Tillman's shaky command. If he happens to be the odd man out, let him work on his command in a leasgue he knows he can get people out. It would be better than learning at a higher level and going through a lot of growing pains. Henderickson/short deals are to give these guys more time to develop in the minors. He will be 21 entering the season, so it's not a big deal if he gets another half season in Bowie.

I disagree with this.

Tillman dominated AA last year, despite having a 4.31 BB/9. He has proven he can dominate in AA with shaky command. There is no reason he can't sort out his command at a level that will challenge him.

I disagree with this.

Tillman dominated AA last year, despite having a 4.31 BB/9. He has proven he can dominate in AA with shaky command. There is no reason he can't sort out his command at a level that will challenge him.

Thank you!! I've been saying this over and over!! Tillman will learn how to pitch in AAA awhole lot better than in AA ball. The mistakes he can get away with in the AA ball, while hitters in AAA ball will challenge him!! It would be a setback in his development!

Thank you!! I've been saying this over and over!! Tillman will learn how to pitch in AAA awhole lot better than in AA ball. The mistakes he can get away with in the AA ball, while hitters in AAA ball will challenge him!! It would be a setback in his development!

I always tought it was better to play up rather than play down. In other words you always play to the level of your competition. So that being said Tillman wouldn't be challenged ad Big Mac has said earier. So wouldn't it be better for Tillman to pitch and learn and work on the issues that he has in AAA?

I don't see a log jam at Norfolk. There is a slight squeeze at the major league level if everyone is healthy. However, injuries are likely.

O's starters:

Guthrie, two major league starter acquisitions, Olson, Albers

O's pen:

Sherrill, Ray, Johnson, Sarfate, Baez, Walker, Hendrickson, Penn

Bass available if some one is hurt. Otherwise he has be pass through waivers.

Norfolk starters

Tillman, Bergesen, Hernandez, Berken, Liz

Norfolk pen:

29 year old Water has options; Simon will pass through waivers. Hennessey signed a minor league contract. He had a good year in the Giants 2007 pen. After a terrible 2008 he gets to redeem himself in the Norfolk pen.

Bowie starters:

Arrieta, Erbe, Patton(hasn't pitched in a year), Spoone DL

Frederick Starter:

Matusz

I don't see a log jam at Norfolk. There is a slight squeeze at the major league level if everyone is healthy. However, injuries are likely.

O's starters:

Guthrie, two major league starter acquisitions, Olson, Albers

O's pen:

Sherrill, Ray, Johnson, Sarfate, Baez, Walker, Hendrickson, Penn

Do you really want an 8 person bullpen?

Do you really want an 8 person bullpen?

With the 4th and 5th starters having a history of 6.00+ ERAs as starters, it is very likely that an 8 pitcher pen occurs. O's management has already indicated that it might occur.

Do I want it? I want a better starting staff so it is not necessary.

O's starters:

Guthrie, one major league starter acquisitions, Olson, Albers, Liz

O's pen:

Sherrill, Ray, Johnson, Sarfate, Baez (release), Walker, Hendrickson, Penn

Norfolk starters

Tillman, Bergesen, Hernandez, Berken, Patton

Bowie starters:

Arrieta, Erbe, Bascom, Spoone, Beato

Frederick Starter:

Matusz, Butler, Gleason, Noel, Britton

That is how I would line them up as of today.

Spoone isn't starting the year.

Do you really think Bascom & Beato warrant promotion to Bowie?

Probably not, but with Butler, Gleason, Britton, and Noel coming you need to make room in the Frederick rotation. Matusz to Bowie takes care of one and I think I would leave Bascom down and send Beato to the pen maybe? Not sure, but I want the 4 players mentioned above in the Frederick rotation at the very least!

That is how I would line them up as of today.

I don't really understand the desire of people to release Baez and plan 5.5M for nothing. Tommy John surgery has been successful in the past. There are reasons to hope that Baez will be effective.

I am much more concerned about Walker than Baez. However if these two are healthy and effective in the first half they have the potential to be traded for youth at the July trade deadline. Isn't that a much better plan then releasing them?

I don't release understand the desire of people to release Baez and plan 5.5M for nothing. Tommy John surgery has been successful in the past. There are reasons to hope that Baez will be effective.

I am much more concerned about Walker than Baez. However if these two are healthy and effective in the first half they have the potential to be traded for youth at the July trade deadline. Isn't that a much better plan then releasing them?

Neither of these guys will get us anything really valuable at the deadline, even if they are pitching well, IMO. And, its a big stretch that they pitch well. Walker might, but Baez is a lost cause, IMO. I'm not worried about him physically overcoming the injury, he just wasn't any good to begin with.

We have to pay $12M for these guys either way. If we're not going to get anything good out of them, then keeping them around is much dumber than just releasing them and giving someone younger with some upside a shot.

I don't think Hayden Penn has much hope for a solid MLB future anymore, but I'd much rather see him in the rotation or bullpen and us paying Baez and Walker $12M to sit at home than lose Penn on a waiver claim because we want to try and get something out of Baez and Walker. I'd rather pay $12.8M for Hayden Penn and another minor league guy in the bullpen (Mickolio, perhaps) than pay $12M for Baez and Walker.

Neither of these guys will get us anything really valuable at the deadline, even if they are pitching well, IMO. And, its a big stretch that they pitch well. Walker might, but Baez is a lost cause, IMO. I'm not worried about him physically overcoming the injury, he just wasn't any good to begin with.

We have to pay $12M for these guys either way. If we're not going to get anything good out of them, then keeping them around is much dumber than just releasing them and giving someone younger with some upside a shot.

I don't think Hayden Penn has much hope for a solid MLB future anymore, but I'd much rather see him in the rotation or bullpen and us paying Baez and Walker $12M to sit at home than lose Penn on a waiver claim because we want to try and get something out of Baez and Walker. I'd rather pay $12.8M for Hayden Penn and another minor league guy in the bullpen (Mickolio, perhaps) than pay $12M for Baez and Walker.

Baez and Walker combined have $10M left on their contracts, not that it makes any difference to your argument.

Baez and/or Walker will have to prove in ST that they can't be effective. With Albers and Patton are coming off shoulder injuries and one or both could end up on the DL. They both also have options, so the could go to the minors to improve their stuff. The O's probably also go with 13 pitchers. With all that happening, if Penn shows anything in ST he probably does not get waivered.

Baez, first of all, was at one point an All Star reliever. You may not think he is worth anything based on his poor 2007 showing; most people used him as the scape goat for the 2007 collapse. I am more inclined to believe that he was pitching injured in an overused and perhaps poorly managed bullpen. If he rehabs and performs well in spring training theres no reason to think he can't be effective in 2009.

Further, Andy MacPhail engineered a trade at the non-waiver deadline for Steve Trachsel to the Cubs in exchange for three prospects; Rocky Cherry, Scott Moore and Jacob Renshaw. You can make the argument that none of those three will ever contribute anything to a major league team, but if you are just planning to eat his contract and dump him... you'd be better off working at the deadline for ANYTHING. Pitching is always a highly sought after commodity and it's always surprising when terrible players are moved. Who would have thought we'd get three players for Ramon Hernandez? Walker is even more lucrative to many teams because he is a lefty, and I think a return similar or better to what we got for John Parrish is not only possible, but the right way to approach the situation.

Baez, first of all, was at one point an All Star reliever. You may not think he is worth anything based on his poor 2007 showing; most people used him as the scape goat for the 2007 collapse. I am more inclined to believe that he was pitching injured in an overused and perhaps poorly managed bullpen. If he rehabs and performs well in spring training theres no reason to think he can't be effective in 2009.

I don't know if I believe Baez's 2007 problems were due to injury and misuse, but I think the team needs to find out. I don't see them walking away from his contract with nothing in return unless it's clear he has nothing to give. If he shows well this spring, perhaps we can hold him for a month or two and then trade him, eating 75-80% of his salary, for a half-decent prospect. It's worth a shot, and it beats just eating the entire contract sight unseen.

Now, if Baez comes to camp and he's terrible, that's a different story altogether. Then you just have to eat his deal, just like Gibbons'.

Archived