Marlins Open to Trading from Pitching Surplus

StillanOfan

2 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

All you have to do is pay attention and do a google search.

But it’s ok, despite the several things out there, you will just chalk it up to not being serious.

What I think is fair to say is that the Os are potentially only willing to deal Mullins if they get an overwhelming offer, whereas I just want to get a fair deal that brings us back what we need.

I did google it.  There's nothing but speculation on Major League Trade Rumors.  And even that is nothing beyond "entertaining offers."

IMO, the front office is significantly less motivated to move Mullins than you are.  Call that what you will.

I am too.

• Haha 1

43 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

I would pass.  Be happy to Include one of Hays, Santander, Urías, Mateo along with one of our lesser prospects.  Just not interested in trading top prospects with all of their service time for a pitcher with 2 years.

Problem is, the type of pitchers that we can get for Vavra/Haskin types aren't going to help us.

11 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Problem is, the type of pitchers that we can get for Vavra/Haskin types aren't going to help us.

Maybe.   I would shop the players I mentioned plus Mountcastle  in search of pitching.  I would be willing to include B types with them.  If that doesn’t work so be it.  I’m still looking to decline Lyles, invest in one FA pitcher, and build a rotation from among Wells, Kremer, Bradish, Voth, and Grayson Rodriguez.   There could be some salary dumps, like Snell from San Diego.  I’d rather spend money than top ten prospects.  

• 2 weeks later...

Just noticed on the Marlins 40-man roster, that the Marlins have 8 players on the 60-Day IL that they will have to bring back or designate for assignment before the winter meetings.  I do think some minor trades (if worthy) may be options or the Marlins risk losing players for nothing (Rule 5 or claimed).  It will really come down to how they rank their internal options vs. other clubs.  Could a prospect like LHP Josh Simpson be available?

BAL trades                        MIA trades 

Mullins                               P. Lopez

Mateo                                 Rodgers 

Tate                                    B. Anderson

Vavra                                  Floro

Prieto                                  J. Sanchez                                       
                                            M. Rojas 

Krehbiel                            Pit. Pros. 

Orioles take on contracts of Anderson, Floro, and Rojas. Can flip Rojas -1yr on deal- depending on what they prefer with Gunnar. Anderson can play OF and 3rd, one year left on deal. Floro vet with one year on deal. Sanchez potential bench option. 

Orioles add 2 SP’s. Rodgers has high upside. MIA gets 3 years of team control of Mullins, Mateo and Tate. Bench bat in Vavra. 
Orioles can play Anderson at multiple positions.  

8 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

M. Rojas 

Are you seriously proposing a 13 player trade?  Really?

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, eddie83 said:

M. Rojas 

Orioles take on contracts of Anderson, Floro, and Rojas. Can flip Rojas -1yr on deal- depending on what they prefer with Gunnar. Anderson can play OF and 3rd, one year left on deal. Floro vet with one year on deal. Sanchez potential bench option. 

Orioles add 2 SP’s. Rodgers has high upside. MIA gets 3 years of team control of Mullins, Mateo and Tate. Bench bat in Vavra. 
Orioles can play Anderson at multiple positions.  

What happened to the good old days when trades were trades?

https://www.mlb.com/cut4/60-years-ago-the-yankees-and-orioles-completed-a-three-week-long-17-player-trade/c-102844224

I would have no problem with a Mullins and Lopez centering deal.  Maybe a few mid level prospects in there to complete deal going along in it.  Mullins and Hernaiz for Lopez and Fulton.  Then I would look to sign Brandon Nimmo to fill the center field hole for a few years.  Nimmo doesn’t have the speed or power Mullins has but plays good defense and will get on base at a higher clip then Mullins with similar War numbers.  

11 hours ago, Mavericksouth said:

Pablo Lopez's final 2022 stats:

32 Starts

180 IP

10-10 W/L Record

3.75 ERA

174 SO

1.17 WHIP

I like the starts and the IP.

Some other more relevant numbers:

8.7 K rate

2.7 BB rate

3.3:1 K to BB ratio 

1.05 HR rate

3.71 FIP

3.89 xERA

3.56 xFIP

65% str%

21.5% swingstr%

And then his statcast numbers are pretty good all around as well.

https://baseballsavant.mlb.com/savant-player/pablo-lopez-641154?stats=statcast-r-pitching-mlb

He was a 2-2.5 WAR guy this year.

Overall, he’s a solid guy.  He’s under team control for 2 more years.  Probably gets 4.5-5M in 2023.  If you acquire him, it would be nice to sign him to a 3 year deal with a team option for the 4th year.  3/30 deal with a 20M team option.  Something along those lines.

Now, all of that being said, he’s potentially a risk.  This is the first season he has had this many starts or IP.  He had a shoulder issue in 2021, which he seems to have recovered from but it’s a risk.  Could make signing him to a contract something you want to stay away from at first.  Could also be a reason not to acquire him at all but realistically speaking, he may be the best pitcher and highest upside guy you can get.  Just depends on who else is available and what the team is willing to spend. 

4 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

I like the starts and the IP.

Some other more relevant numbers:

8.7 K rate

2.7 BB rate

3.3:1 K to BB ratio 

1.05 HR rate

3.71 FIP

3.89 xERA

3.56 xFIP

65% str%

21.5% swingstr%

And then his statcast numbers are pretty good all around as well.

https://baseballsavant.mlb.com/savant-player/pablo-lopez-641154?stats=statcast-r-pitching-mlb

He was a 2-2.5 WAR guy this year.

Overall, he’s a solid guy.  He’s under team control for 2 more years.  Probably gets 4.5-5M in 2023.  If you acquire him, it would be nice to sign him to a 3 year deal with a team option for the 4th year.  3/30 deal with a 20M team option.  Something along those lines.

Now, all of that being said, he’s potentially a risk.  This is the first season he has had this many starts or IP.  He had a shoulder issue in 2021, which he seems to have recovered from but it’s a risk.  Could make signing him to a contract something you want to stay away from at first.  Could also be a reason not to acquire him at all but realistically speaking, he may be the best pitcher and highest upside guy you can get.  Just depends on who else is available and what the team is willing to spend. 

I think he's the best guy the O's can trade for w/o "giving up the farm".  Trading for guys like Burnes, Woodward, and Bieber is going to require multiple top prospects, think Cowser+.  I'm not sure that's the way to build a long term winner.