Odor and .200

Bahama O's Fan

27 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

He gets a lot of hate but Odor had a classic sequence last night. Helps protect Baker and Adley, then the very next inning should have gotten himself thrown out stretching a routine single into a double but makes it on a wildly improbable swim dive, triggering a 3 run rally. Excellent quote following the game. 

That quote is amazing.  And Vlad stopped and backed up.  Odor won a few points more in my book with that one.  

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

He gets a lot of hate but Odor had a classic sequence last night. Helps protect Baker and Adley, then the very next inning should have gotten himself thrown out stretching a routine single into a double but makes it on a wildly improbable swim dive, triggering a 3 run rally. Excellent quote following the game. 

That 2nd tweet should instantly stop all future Odor hate posts.  That's a pretty amazing quote and not like Vlad is a small dude.

It won't mind you, but it should stop those posts.

58 minutes ago, Fiver6565 said:

That 2nd tweet should instantly stop all future Odor hate posts.  That's a pretty amazing quote and not like Vlad is a small dude.

It won't mind you, but it should stop those posts.

Why?  We pay him to play baseball, not to break up or stop brawls.  I'm glad he did what he did, and if the quote is true then that's awesome.  But it doesn't make his at bats any better or improve his below replacement play.  He should be a bench/role player at most and not starting almost every night.  Being a tough guy in a fight and standing up for your teammates doesn't change that, nor should it.  

• Upvote 2

There's a bit of a fraternity among the Latin players on all teams it seems.  Odor and Santander have credibility when they step in as peacemakers.  I don't think Vlad jr. is afraid of Odor. I think he respects him and likes him.

After all of that hoopla, when Vlad lined out to LF in the 9th he ran very close to Bautista as he ran off the field and made Bautista smile.  Probably said "almost" or "get you next time".

2 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

There's a bit of a fraternity among the Latin players on all teams it seems.  Odor and Santander have credibility when they step in as peacemakers.  I don't think Vlad jr. is afraid of Odor. I think he respects him and likes him.

After all of that hoopla, when Vlad lined out to LF in the 9th he ran very close to Bautista as he ran off the field and made Bautista smile.  Probably said "almost" or "get you next time".

I don't think anyone was suggesting he's afraid of Odor.

Just now, Fiver6565 said:

I don't think anyone was suggesting he's afraid of Odor.

They said he stopped in his tracks when Odor got in front of him.  That's how I interpreted their meaning.  I guess only the poster knows what he intended to convey.

2 hours ago, O's84 said:

Wait, did they just refer to Odor as a slugger?  In what universe do we live?

Well he has hit 30 home runs or better in 3 of his 9 major league seasons.  He's never been a high average or high .obp guy.  But he has shown some  power so I guess "slugger" is not a wildly inappropriate moniker.  173 homers in 8 seasons plus the abbreviated 2020 campaign isn't too shabby.  While I admire the intensity of his play - last night's stretching of a single in to a double is a good example - it would be great to get more production at the plate out of that position.  

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, BRobinsonfan said:

Well he has hit 30 home runs or better in 3 of his 9 major league seasons.  He's never been a high average or high .obp guy.  But he has shown some  power so I guess "slugger" is not a wildly inappropriate moniker.  173 homers in 8 seasons plus the abbreviated 2020 campaign isn't too shabby.  While I admire the intensity of his play - last night's stretching of a single in to a double is a good example - it would be great to get more production at the plate out of that position.  

I get it, but he's only averaged 13.5 HR's the last two season.  I wouldn't be holding on to that moniker still.  And while I'd love to see him produce again, I just don't see it happening.

9 hours ago, Aristotelian said:

Say what you want about Odor the players at this stage in his career, and you may be right, but he has to be one of the best all-time teammate locker-room guys. Would love to see them bring him back as a coach next year.