Remaining Schedule

WarehouseChatter

17 of our next 22 at home; 20 of our final 32 at home.  I don’t think it’s out of the question that we could get to 88 wins which “should” get us a wildcard spot.  My thinking:

Oakland - win 2/3

Toronto - win 3/4

Boston - win 2/3

@ Washington - win 2/2

@ Toronto - win 1/3

Detroit - win 2/3

Houston - win 2/4

@ Boston - win 2/4

@ NY - win 1/3

Toronto - win 2/3

remainder - 19-13

Overall - 88-74

Thoughts?

I think we are going to be in very good shape if we ‘win’ the ten game series left with Toronto.  We are 1.5 games behind them, so the 6-4 you’ve noted would get us ahead of them. Then it’s a matter of holding serve and then not getting super hot. Seems doable to me. 

5 minutes ago, Fiver6565 said:

Ok the converse side, 4-6 vs Tor and we have to make up 3.5 games elsewhere which would be very difficult to do. So as we’ve known for a while, the Toronto ten are key to say the least. 

If Toronto bests us then they should go, if we best them, we should go.  Pretty clear for a change.  Sometimes an entire 162 game season comes down to 1 game.. here we have a 10 game series to see. 

Edited by tntoriole

1 hour ago, Fiver6565 said:

I think we are going to be in very good shape if we ‘win’ the ten game series left with Toronto.  We are 1.5 games behind them, so the 6-4 you’ve noted would get us ahead of them. Then it’s a matter of holding serve and then not getting super hot. Seems doable to me. 

Another reason that we absolutely need to win the season series against the Jays is that the first tiebreaker for the wild card spot is head-to-head record.

15 minutes ago, rm5678 said:

Another reason that we absolutely need to win the season series against the Jays is that the first tiebreaker for the wild card spot is head-to-head record.

We only need to go 4-6 vs the Jays to get that.

And, honestly, that isn't good enough to catch them most likely.   

We need to do better.

I think there are a couple of landmines in the remaining schedule that we need to be able to navigate (outside of the obvious games against Toronto). Oakland is a trap series. As I noted elsewhere, we are 6-17 against them since 2018. Granted they were good for two years and we were bad until about 3 months ago, but 6-17 is a ridiculous statistical stretch no matter who the teams are (except when the Yankees face the Twins).  Taking 2 of 3 would be great. Washington is bad, but winning both on the road is tough. But the real danger to me is Boston. Their lineup last night: Pham, Verdugo, Bogaerts, Devers, JD, Arroyo, Cordero (PH by Kike), Refsnyder, and Plawecki. That is a LOT of legitimate and proven offensive talent. And Story may come back at some point soon.  We REALLY need to avoid Eovaldi (who is currently hurt) and Pivetta, because we struggle mightily against those two.  

I wouldn't give up on catching Tampa though. Their ridiculously easy stretch of games is over. Other than three against Texas in 2 weeks, they have 6 with New York, 6 with Boston, 9 with Toronto, 6 with Houston, and 3 at Cleveland.