Cubs trade DeRosa to Indians; Does this mean Pie for Olson back on??

section36

Your point is very valid, but we've been hearing about a new first baseman in this organization for YEARS. Let me turn the tables a bit...what if we are here at this time NEXT season, and we STILL haven't acquired a first baseman? Are we going to give it another year?

Sorry...not jumping on you personally...just fed up with the "we'll take care of it next year" stuff.

No I agree and I would think Garko could be a good pick-up if it is for the right piece, but Penn isn't going to get it done and I wouldn't give up too much more for him. I don't think he would significantly outplay Salazar if given a chance.

I haven't given up on Snyder as a 1B of the future.;)

• Replies 450
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest rochester
Hendry signed Edmonds and Reed Johnson for bargain-basement contracts, re-signed Dempster, and re-signed Wood (last year). He did not sell Hamilton to the Reds for cash, it was a prearranged deal that the Cubs would draft Hamilton for the Reds.

You must be much more impressed than I - sorry.

Johnson: a pretty good move but the (I think) $6-7million for Fukudome kind of balances that.

Edmonds - did they pick up all of the $8million?

Dempster (career year?) and Wood - yes, but they are resignings.

You are correct about Hamilton.

My point is that I seem to sense this great love for Hendry is all - I am not saying he is a bad GM whatsoever but I do not believe he is a top GM by any stretch. A few others would be geniuses with a ~$140million. Heck, SG could do much better with about half that:D

You must be much more impressed than I - sorry.

Johnson: a pretty good move but the (I think) $6-7million for Fukudome kind of balances that.

Edmonds - did they pick up all of the $8million?Dempster (career year?) and Wood - yes, but they are resignings.

You are correct about Hamilton.

My point is that I seem to sense this great love for Hendry is all - I am not saying he is a bad GM whatsoever but I do not believe he is a top GM by any stretch. A few others would be geniuses with a ~$140million. Heck, SG could do much better with about half that:D

I don't think they did. I thought they signed him for the MLB minimum.

No I agree and I would think Garko could be a good pick-up if it is for the right piece, but Penn isn't going to get it done and I wouldn't give up too much more for him. I don't think he would significantly outplay Salazar if given a chance.

I haven't given up on Snyder as a 1B of the future.;)

Nor have I...I'd like to see if he can handle third base. If he can't, first base is the obvious position for him.

I'd still like to get a young guy we can plug in there this season, though. I'd rather have too much talent...if you know what I mean! ;)

Guest rochester
Your point is very valid, but we've been hearing about a new first baseman in this organization for YEARS. Let me turn the tables a bit...what if we are here at this time NEXT season, and we STILL haven't acquired a first baseman? Are we going to give it another year?

Sorry...not jumping on you personally...just fed up with the "we'll take care of it next year" stuff.

Hey isn't Adam Laroche a FA after 09 or is it '10. Could get him for 1B and his brother Andy for 3rd?;)

Nor have I...I'd like to see if he can handle third base. If he can't, first base is the obvious position for him.

I'd still like to get a young guy we can plug in there this season, though. I'd rather have too much talent...if you know what I mean! ;)

Agreed. I would love to see young talent on the ML roster at SS and 1B. Just don't think it is happening this offseason.

Guest rochester
I don't think they did. I thought they signed him for the MLB minimum.

Much better then - a good move for a team that actually has a chance...but still not earth-shattering

Victorino was not home grown and only 2 home grown pitchers started a playoff game.

You're really not going to count a rule 5 pick?

So I guess you wouldn't consider Tillman either.

The point remains, they won primarily with players that they developed along with a few solid additions like Lidge, Moyer, and Werth.

Guest rochester
Which is why we should have tried to trade him in the past. The current path we have is either our prospects will make it to Baltimore or they will leave the system via free agency or out of options.

They can also be used as trade bait.

This is a great point...of course, I have not been a fan of Penn's for a long time now. But anyone outside of the top 3 I think should be up for discussion.

I keep seeing people bring up the Rays and how long it took them. This is just not true. Chuck LaMar ran that organization nearly into the ground. He was a horrible GM who had no idea what he was doing. He was the GM until 2005. It wasn't until after he got fired that the Rays developed a comprehensive plan to get competitive. I'll give AM the same amount of time: 2 years. AM gets last season and 09. By 2010 the Orioles better be in the World Series.

You proved my point. When the Rays dumped their incompetent people and brought in someone who knew what he was doing, things improved. McPhail is replacing incompetency and will need time as well.

You proved my point. When the Rays dumped their incompetent people and brought in someone who knew what he was doing, things improved. McPhail is replacing incompetency and will need time as well.

Ok - how much time. It took the Rays two years with a better minor league talent.

Ok - how much time. It took the Rays two years with a better minor league talent.

Most of us have said 2011 is when we should compete. What's that, a little more than three years?

As Frobby noted, at the end of 2010 we'll have a good idea what's up.

The good news for us if we fire him is that there's little doubt that the work he's done in infrastructuring, scouting, international/global presence will continue to pay dividends.

The fact is, by all accounts, MacPhail doesn't see himself as the long-term answer. Thus, our conception of MacPhail's strengths, and his own, align pretty neatly.

Most of us have said 2011 is when we should compete. What's that, a little more than three years?

As Frobby noted, at the end of 2010 we'll have a good idea what's up.

The good news for us if we fire him is that there's little doubt that the work he's done in infrastructuring, scouting, international/global presence will continue to pay dividends.

The fact is, by all accounts, MacPhail doesn't see himself as the long-term answer. Thus, our conception of MacPhail's strengths, and his own, align pretty neatly.

Jim, are you on vacation? You're worse than me. I figure Frobby is older and he's probably got some serious seniority going. How come you're able to post on here so much? Don't you have hours to bill, young man? :D

Archived