Labor Day afternoon: Game 1 of the Orioles biggest doubleheader in decades

SteveA

Just now, Malike said:

Exactly. Everyone screams that they want them up here and then complain when kids struggle lol. I haven't been around much in a year or so but absolutely nothing has changed. Over-reaction Hangout survives!

You can look at every Hall thread, I said this would happen.  If you watched him at all in the minors, this is not a surprise. 

Just now, Tony-OH said:

Somebody will need to tell me what DL Hall did to deserve to be pitching in a 1 run game? What has he done to be in a high leverage situation. Hyde should have some real explaining to do. This was Perez' role. Hall was scuffling in AAA since mid-August yet he's pitching high lev?

Agreed and I'm glad, I've been multitasking doing some work this afternoon instead of fully paying attention to this game. Hall is not a pitcher you use in high leverage situations at this stage of his career in a playoff race.

I figured Hall would be a mop up pitcher or used in the fifth/sixth inning and not in the ninth inning when you are trying to keep a one run deficit from growing larger. 

If Lyles is still feeling sick tonight this doubleheader might turn into a real bloodbath and be the day where the Orioles drop back in the wildcard hunt for good. 

1 minute ago, baltfan said:

Honestly, he is playing for a split here.  He is holding Perez for game 2.  He knows Lyles is only good for about 6 innings especially since he has been sick.  A sweep would be devastating.  Keep the good arms to hopefully win the nightcap

So you are telling me that Hyde is throwing in the towel in a 4-3 game in the 9th? If he is, he's should be fired because the Orioles have done pretty well late in games and the Blue Jays are playing without their closer.

Once again. 

Do you use one of the big 3 in the 9th down one? That’s the question. You do that are you also throwing them in Game 2? Two of your group B arms already pitched earlier. 

It’s Hall, Akin or Sulser there unless you are willing to use one of big 3.  

• Upvote 1

Just now, Tony-OH said:

So you are telling me that Hyde is throwing in the towel in a 4-3 game in the 9th? If he is, he's should be fired because the Orioles have done pretty well late in games and the Blue Jays are playing without their closer.

That's pretty much what I said when he brought him in last inning. We were down by 2 at the time and after thinking about it after we pulled w in one run Hyde should not have sent him back out for the 9th

Just now, Tony-OH said:

I probably would have thrown Sulser, but there is nothing about the offense today that would make him think that we are likely to win.  As I said, a sweep would be devastating.  What happens if you are up 1 in game 2 and have to pitch Hall because you are out of guys?