Labor Day afternoon: Game 1 of the Orioles biggest doubleheader in decades

SteveA

2 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

Sure. It’s a risk either way. Was facing 8-9-1.

We may get blown out Game 2. 

I don't even want to think about the final score of tonight's game if Lyles is unable to start or taps out by the second inning.  

I might be rooting for rain even if it further complicates the schedule plus Thursday is an off day for both teams. So a rainout might not be the worst thing in the world tonight. 

Edited by OsFanSinceThe80s

7 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

You do not pitch Hall in a one run game. He has not shown he's that guy in his short career. I have zero issues with Hall being on this roster in September despite pitching pretty crappy of late in AAA, but I have serious issues with him being any kind of close game.

You are probably right that Sulser would have been the better choice here, but not Perez. 

I'll be honest, this is the first game all season that I've been pissed at because I really don't understand why Aguilar is starting (of course I don't even understand why he's on the team) against Gausman and why Hyde decides to bring in a rookie with no experience in high leverage situation to pitch in a one run game in the 9th. 

When you play the pitching for the second game of a double header, you better hope the team comes out with some runs quick. This has all the makings of an awful double header sweep.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Aristotelian said:

Yep, and it also seemed like everyone called Hall being a terrible decision *after* he started his meltdown. Funny how that happens. 

I said all along I have no problem letting him start the 9th. He had retired all four hitters he'd faced as a reliever! But nobody warming behind him? That's too much faith. When he sailed that pitch that almost went into the stands, was there any doubt he was going to give up a bunch of runs?

1 minute ago, Tony-OH said:

I'll be honest, this is the first game all season that I've been pissed at because I really don't understand why Aguilar is starting (of course I don't even understand why he's on the team) against Gausman and why Hyde decides to bring in a rookie with no experience in high leverage situation to pitch in a one run game in the 9th. 

Gausman has reverse splits and Aguilar did get a base hit. I don't think that was the issue today. 

Hyde has really wet the bed last 2 days:

1. Starting Chirinos in 2/3 days vs Oakland 

2. Not PH Stowers or Vavra for Aguilar in 7th.

3. Bringing hall back out for 9th after we cut it to one

4. Not throwing a tantrum and getting tossed to fire his team up

5. Likely starting Chirinos again in game 2