It Ain't Over

wildcard

43 minutes ago, dtk9119 said:

Also... I am still having nightmares about those OAK and DET series earlier in the year.. 1-6 in those 7 games. Even if we had gone 3-4 4-3 we'd be in MUCH better shape than we are now.

Yankees recently lost 2 of 3 from Oakland.   Padres lost 2 of 3 to Nats.   Nats won 2 of 3 from the Mets last week and are now 8 outs away from winning 3 of 4 from SL.   Reds swept Tampa in July.   Pirates swept the Dodgers 3 in LA in May.

It's baseball, over 162 games those things will happen.   If the Yankees, Mets, Rays, Cardinals, Dodgers, and Padres aren't immune to it, why should we be?

In any season, if you fall short, there will be games you remember and regret.   Just the way it is.

• Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, Fiver6565 said:

If we wind up heading into that last series of the year needing two or three wins against Toronto to make the playoffs, the parallels to 1989 will become inescapably eerie at that point.  Will Tyler Wells step on a rusty nail and be unable to start, prompting the team to start Spenser Watkins instead?  Will Bautista be lights out until he spikes a breaking ball to score the run that knocks us out?  Stay tuned!!

I think Lyles illness was our 2022 rusty nail.

And we don't have &*$!#%+ Jamie Quirk behind the plate.   We have Adley &*$!#%+ Rutschman!

(Notice how when you put the nasty word in front it's a negative, but you put it in the middle it's a positive.   One of the most versatile words in the English language).

Edited by SteveA
  • Haha 1

I appreciated the tactics with Tyler Wells yesterday, and the bullpen deployment behind Bradish in the game we won.

I am curious to see how the Pitching Strategy unrolls with the many offdays, and Wells and Grayson ramping back up.

I hope in the part of September prior to mathematical elimination the general posture of Bullpen Attack continues to happen, throwing Tyler Wells and Grayson Rodriguez at ~60 pitches/turn in with that for the time being.     160-162 against Toronto is handy to keep mathematical elimination away longer than in other circumstances.

Having to rely on AAAA bulk pitchers can really hurt over the six months, but now it is just three weeks and star relievers can start throwing a larger percentage of team innings.

Just like Tuesday, if the opponent gets more than say its 3rd run of the night off anyone but Voth-Perez-Tate-Bautista tomorrow I'll be sad.    Now and then the Bats providing some runs to work with wouldn't hurt.

15 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

We really don't see another really good SP until we see Manoah again.  The offense has to get going versus these guys.  

Bello 5.91 ERA

Wacha 2.58 ERA

Hill 4.79 ERA

Espino 4.28 ERA

Abbott 4.06 ERA

Berrios 5.23 ERA

We need to rattle off a 5-1 record here before we face Manoah again.  

Have to watch out for those red hot Nats though.

They just won 2 of 3 from Oakland, 2 of 3 from the Mets, and are about to complete a split of their series in St Louis.

The starting pitching -- even Corbin -- has almost approached respectable level over the past 3 weeks or so, and the rookie outfielder Menessee hitting .300+ has given their lineup a spark.   Bullpen still sucks though, coughed up a 4 run lead in the bottom of the 9th last night.

59 minutes ago, Going Underground said:

Blue Jays and Rays play nine game against each other over the next two weeks. A five game and a four game series.Orioles need to win while they are playing each other. Almost might be better if one team dominates those series.Also Rays play the Astros.

Best bet right now is the Blue Jays or Rays collapsing while the Orioles go on an 8 game winning streak. Won’t be easy, but it could happen. 

Regardless of the ultimate outcome, I am grateful to see impressive performances by individual Orioles in every game, whether it's Urias and Mateo on the left side of the infield or Wells yesterday, after only one short rehab game, gutting out a poorly umpired and fielded second inning and hungry to pitch more (he was openly upset in the dugout at being pulled). Or Hyde and Short managing under the pressure of a Wild Card dogfight.

Also, almost every game is giving fascinating looks at new team members, such as Reed's 2-K inning yesterday, Henderson, Stowers, Aguilar et al--and may soon be seeing our top pitching prospect Grayson. It all gives us a vision of the future that can't be darkened by any calculation of the remaining 2022 schedule.

Edited by LA2
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

We really don't see another really good SP until we see Manoah again.  The offense has to get going versus these guys.  

Bello 5.91 ERA

Wacha 2.58 ERA

Hill 4.79 ERA

Espino 4.28 ERA

Abbott 4.06 ERA

Berrios 5.23 ERA

We need to rattle off a 5-1 record here before we face Manoah again.  

Wacha is good, but if we win against the other 5 than your 5-1 scenario will come true.