9/9: Ortiz Hitting .409 For Norfolk

cboemmeljr

Love the guy when he was at Bowie.  With Mateo, Henderson, Westburg and Holliday all ahead of him at SS, I don't know how we are going to be able to use this guy.  Maybe trade Mateo and an OF for a starting pitcher and have a progression to Henderson @ SS,,,,,,,, to Ortiz SS/Henderson 3rd,,,,, to Holliday at SS.......    ??

• Upvote 1

What  a pleasant  problem to have, several players with honest to goodness talent at one or two positions.   Sounds like a prescription for a big trade which brings in some real MLB SP talent, so we will not have to count on smoke and mirrors for  victories. as a previous poster called it.  

I'm sure Elias would like to move one of the outfielders but Stowers hasn't impressed so far.  Cowser is striking out over 40% of the time in AAA.   Haskin?  Hmmm.   Kjerstad, Fabian, and Beavers aren't close.

Instead of trading the depth in the IF (Henderson is a sure thing, while Ortiz and Westburg appear to be ML ready with Norby looking very strong at AA.    Again, they could hold onto Urias and/or Mateo and still have extra pieces.   Norby has played some LF but Westburg has not played anything other than the 3 IF positions to date.    Have to wonder if the Os' will ponder trying some of the extra IF's in the OF.   Cowser is throwing a wrench into the OF plans.

11 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

I'm sure Elias would like to move one of the outfielders but Stowers hasn't impressed so far.  Cowser is striking out over 40% of the time in AAA.   Haskin?  Hmmm.   Kjerstad, Fabian, and Beavers aren't close.

Instead of trading the depth in the IF (Henderson is a sure thing, while Ortiz and Westburg appear to be ML ready with Norby looking very strong at AA.    Again, they could hold onto Urias and/or Mateo and still have extra pieces.   Norby has played some LF but Westburg has not played anything other than the 3 IF positions to date.    Have to wonder if the Os' will ponder trying some of the extra IF's in the OF.   Cowser is throwing a wrench into the OF plans.

I keep thinking Haskin might be the trade-chip most palatable from the Orioles perspective of the upper-echelon OF crew. I also wonder what happens with Norby, maybe he goes to 1B given the dearth of talent at the position and from what is reported, his average 2B defense, or maybe he himself gets wrapped up in a trade.

From all second-hand accounts floating out there, the O's brass love Ortiz. Maybe everyone is just repeating what someone else is saying but if true I doubt they trade him for anything less than top players.

9 minutes ago, CharmCityHokie said:

I keep thinking Haskin might be the trade-chip most palatable from the Orioles perspective of the upper-echelon OF crew. I also wonder what happens with Norby, maybe he goes to 1B given the dearth of talent at the position and from what is reported, his average 2B defense, or maybe he himself gets wrapped up in a trade.

From all second-hand accounts floating out there, the O's brass love Ortiz. Maybe everyone is just repeating what someone else is saying but if true I doubt they trade him for anything less than top players.

I'm not sure you see any prospects traded this offseason but Haskin would certainly be someone who is likely available.   At the same time, what value does he have?   It might be wise to just hold onto him and see what he can do next year.  Players with more value who might be considered expendable, IMO, would be someone like Norby or even Westburg.

• Upvote 1