Orioles claim catcher Cam Gallagher

Legend_Of_Joey

1 hour ago, Tony-OH said:

Yeah, I think this about just having a AAA caliber catcher to finish off the year.

Why would they use a 40 man roster spot for that? They could just bring up Handley if Ramirez and Roberts aren’t good enough, no?

Could it be that Chirinos is heading out? Gallagher up to replace him? 

3 minutes ago, Jammer7 said:

Why would they use a 40 man roster spot for that? They could just bring up Handley if Ramirez and Roberts aren’t good enough, no?

Maybe they like him for next year?  I can’t see them letting Chirinos go at this point. 

• Upvote 2

49 minutes ago, Jammer7 said:

No idea really. I would have sent Handley up to split time with Roberts. I doubt they are going to replace Chirnios now although he's pretty obviously not a major league player at this point in his career.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

Maybe they like him for next year?  I can’t see them letting Chirinos go at this point. 

Perhaps, but he doesn't seem like a guy you waste a 40-man roster spot for. If they really like him as Adley's caddy next year, I get the feeling they could have gotten him on a minor league deal. 

Just now, Tony-OH said:

Perhaps, but he doesn't seem like a guy you waste a 40-man roster spot for. If they really like him as Adley's caddy next year, I get the feeling they could have gotten him on a minor league deal. 

Maybe he is here for a second and then someone else is added. Chirinos is off the 40 the second the season is over. 

Then see if they add a better backup after the season is over and then he gets let’s go. I can’t see them carrying more than 2 catchers on the 40. 

2 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

I don't see why you worry about next year's backup catcher during the season.

See what's available during the offseason and send Maverick to winter ball.

I feel like both Cody Roberts and Maverick Handley have good defensive reputations and are improving on offense, and they already are familiar with a lot of the pitching, you'd think they'd be the cheap pick for backup next season.

Related question: If a player is DFA'd and claimed in that cycle, can they decline the optional assignment if they are DFA'd by the claiming team? I know a player cannot decline a minor league assignment when DFA'd for the first time and they go unclaimed (unless they have enough major league service time), but if a team claims that player who is DFA'd for the first time, essentially pausing the DFA process, and the claiming team then DFA's them, can they decline the assignment? That's probably way too confusing and not worth someones time to read, but I was just trying to figure out the strategy behind this waiver claim.

4 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I don't see why you worry about next year's backup catcher during the season.

See what's available during the offseason and send Maverick to winter ball.

Certainly a valid question. Gotta imagine they like his defense, but his stick is not going to bring a lot of value.

3 hours ago, eddie83 said:

Yeah, maybe not. But they might want to get a look at the Gallagher kid as a back up for next year. IDK, just a thought. Adley needs a capable back up. Robby seems like a great dude, but it’s apparent the team has hit a wall. 

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• I agree with the part about Elias. He needs to operate with a little more humility (regarding his bullpen approach) and pivot in the offense regarding how he puts a pen together. He needs to get away from the arrogant thinking in believing that we are always "the smartest guys in the room" and can fix other teams junk/unwanted parts. That is fine to do some time (regardless of how much you spend). But you can't construct an entire pen made of castoffs and almost no guys with elite/power/strikeout stuff. Yes it worked great with Felix, Perez/Lopez in 22', Cano in 23'. But the problem is that we are in '24. And some of those lightening in the bottle guys have reverted back to what their talent says that they are - mediocre. We have a pen full of decent/league average/mediocre arms. That's not what you really want heading into October.
    • Also, since there’s another interesting discussion going on here, I think it’s time for Hyde to have an uncomfortable conversation with Adley. I hate everything I’m about to say, because Adley is my favorite Oriole. But we have to acknowledge where we are.  Over the last few months, the only sensible approach with Adley — other than the IL, which apparently he hasn’t been eligible for — has been to keep penciling him into the lineup almost everyday and hoping he figures it out. He has a track record of consistent lifelong excellence, so it’s felt like just a matter of time before he busts the slump and rights the ship.  But he hasn’t. Adley’s line over the last 3 months, almost half a season now, is so bad that it requires a double check to be sure it’s right: .186 / .274 / .278 / .552. A 61 wRC+. And -0.2 fWAR. He has been a below replacement player for 3 months now. He has been the 3rd-worst qualified hitter in baseball over that span, and the 7th-worst overall qualified player. The “qualified” part does make it a little misleading — most of the guys who’ve been this bad have long since been benched. I think you have to consider McCann, at least in Burnes’s starts. He’s been hitting a bit (114 wRC+ since the ASB), and even if he wasn’t on a bit of a heater, his normal baseline is still better than a .552 OPS. If you do continue to play him full-time, you just can’t treat him like he’s *Adley* anymore. You have to treat him like the bad backup catcher he’s been. He has to hit at the bottom of the order. The very bottom. There’s really no reasoned basis upon which you could want to have him get more ABs than guys like Mullins or Urias right now. And you have to PH for him liberally — whichever of Kjerstad/O’Hearn doesn’t start should be looking at Adley’s slot as their most likely opportunity.  As I said, I love Adley. It’s been brutal watching him. But there are 25 other guys on the team who deserve the best shot to win a ring. And that means you can’t just keep stubbornly handing all the ABs to a guy who is desperately lost, on the blind hope that he’ll suddenly find it. 
    • I didn’t post it in the game thread no, but I’m also not looking for credit. I thought it was a bad move at the time to remove Burnes in the first place, and choosing Cano at that point after he’d been bombed by those exact hitters, felt odd and off to me. The only real defense I could come up with was who if not Cano?  But taking Burnes out is essentially admitting that winning that night wasnt your top priority anyway, so why not also rest Cano, who you absolutely need in the playoffs and has pitched a lot?  I just didn’t get it in real time, and I still don’t. 
    • I was at a meeting and came out to the Orioles down 1-0. I looked away for what seemed like a minute and it was 5-0, then 7-0. Do we know why Burnes was lifted after just 69 pitches after 5 innings? Was he hurt? Do we know why Cano was brought into the game in the 6th (Have to imagine his adrenaline may not have been as flowing at that stage of the game)?  Obviously the bullpen was pretty horrific last night, but could some of this be because Hyde was using guys who typically are late in game relievers in the 6th inning?  
    • Good point on the age.  I think it would have to be someone like Nate George from this year's draft just blowing up next year. The story would be how everyone missed on him because he played in a cold weather state.    
    • First, Schmidt is having a better year than Cole. Second, the O's teed off Ragans and Lugo last time they faced them.
  • Popular Contributors