Remembering a magical game with Nolan Reimold 2008.

Gurgi

I was there for the game.  Only a couple hundred fans in attendance for a playoff game for the Baysox.   This was a great team.  Had lots of future MLB players though most would not become stars.  

https://www.milb.com/news/gcs-454708

By Danny Wild

September 4, 2008

It wasn't a must-win game for Bowie, but it was close enough for Nolan Reimold.

Reimold ensured a victory with three homers and a career-high eight RBIs as the Bowie Baysox slammed the Akron Aeros, 11-3, to win Game 2 of their Eastern League playoff series.

"It wasn't a must-win, but we knew we had to get it," said Reimold, whose career day helped the Orioles affiliate even the best-of-5 playoff series at 1-1 following Wednesday's 6-5 loss to the Aeros. "We lost a tough one last night in extra innings, so we wanted to get the win tonight and try to close it out on the road."

After the Grand Slam the little crowd game him a standing ovation.  I loved watching Reimold because he always hustled to first.  He ran like a deer.   He had kind of a late entrance to MLB.  I always thought he might have the career path of Jason Werth the ex Oriole catcher prospect that had great success in Philadelphia and the Nats.   

His walk up music was Tupac's "California Love"  

I think if he didnt have his neck injury and have is spine fused he would of had several 30 hr seasons.  Maybe not a lot but two or three would not of shocked me.   One of my favorite players from that era.  

The Eastern League All-Star went 4-for-5 with a two-run homer in the first, a two-out solo shot in the fourth, an RBI single in the sixth and his first career grand slam in the eighth.

Reimold has homered in each of his last four games and has six home runs and 13 RBIs in that span.

Click for 2008 three-homer games >

"I'm feeling pretty comfortable at the plate," he said. "It couldn't happen at a better time."

It was the first three-homer game in Reimold's career and his biggest offensive performance since going 4-for-5 with two homers and six RBIs on Aug. 8, 2007 against Reading.

Reimold, who hit a solo homer in Game 1 on Wednesday, capped his day with a grand slam off Akron reliever Chuck Lofgren.

"I figured he was going to pitch to me, throw me fastballs so he wouldn't walk a run in," Reimold said. "He challenged me and I put a good swing on it. It happened to go my way."

The former second-round pick put up big numbers in his fourth season, finishing second in the league with 25 homers and fifth with 84 RBIs for Bowie. It was the first multi-homer effort for the 24-year-old since he managed the feat twice in three days from July 1-3 against Harrisburg.

"It put the game out of reach and secured a victory," he said. "It was a good ending to a good night."

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

All time home run and RBI king at Bowling Green State.  Dude lives in Tennessee now, he and his wife have 7 kids.  

I'll always remember his double against Papelbon last game of the season and then scoring on Andino's hit.  I always felt like that was a huge shot in the arm for the Orioles and gave them a lot of confidence.  

On 11/8/2022 at 5:05 PM, Prayin4Reign said:

All time home run and RBI king at Bowling Green State.  Dude lives in Tennessee now, he and his wife have 7 kids.  

I'll always remember his double against Papelbon last game of the season and then scoring on Andino's hit.  I always felt like that was a huge shot in the arm for the Orioles and gave them a lot of confidence.  

Reimold’s hit is overlooked.  He had much more pressure on him than Andino.  He makes an out, and we lose.  Andino was in a can’t lose situation.  

• 1 month later...

Reimold was never the most graceful athlete, but he was effective at all areas of the game. Obviously injuries took their toll over time and he never fulfilled his promise, but he was a good player and a really good draft pick who significantly outproduced the two players picked ahead of him by the Orioles (Brandon Snyder, 13th overall, and Garrett Olson, 48th overall). 

On 1/9/2023 at 12:35 PM, Tony-OH said:

Reimold was never the most graceful athlete, but he was effective at all areas of the game. Obviously injuries took their toll over time and he never fulfilled his promise, but he was a good player and a really good draft pick who significantly outproduced the two players picked ahead of him by the Orioles (Brandon Snyder, 13th overall, and Garrett Olson, 48th overall). 

Lol! Those draft picks have now made my brain go Hobgood & Rowell