Dook

Pedro Cerrano

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I realize I'm way late to join the party here, but...

I just want to say that I can officially no longer watch a Duke game that Mike Patrick commentates. The man is just obssessed with JJ Redick. I mean, Redick has turned into a fantastic college player, but when Dickie V is the guy trying to reel in someone in their praise of Duke, you knows its gotten too far. Even when Redick screws up, it's "Such a rare thing to see a mistake from him." I just can't stomach it anymore.

Totally agree here. I used to enjoy Patrick but I was shocked at how awful he was in the Duke/Maryland game. Duke was handling Maryland pretty easy at halftime and Patrick goes on this rant about how wonderful JJ was. Turns out he was something like 5-13 in the first half and every other starter was playing better.

Some level of fawning is expected over great players, coaches, and programs but dont sit there and lie to the viewers like these guys tend to do. If Redick is soaring like a condor than by all means drool over his head down penetrations where he get bailed out by the referees. But when he is playing like crap it should be reflected by the commentators, instead they treat us like we're either blind or too stupid to know what is happening in the game.

Also extremely late to the party here, but I've just got to jump in re: Dick Vitale/Mike Patrick. I'm a Duke fan and listening to their commentary is nauseating. According to them, J.J. Redick can do no wrong. He is mentioned no less than twice every other sentence, it seems like. When Dick Vitale started talking about how he "has a very nice body," or something like that...ugh. My virgin eyes! It is just ridiculous. Vitale was even talking about him during a game last weekend in which he wasn't even playing in, because it was between Texas and Oklahoma! Just awful!

Of course, then there's the other end of the spectrum, which is even worse. This guy has to be the most hated played in the NCAA, and I just can't understand why. Because he's good? Is that it? And that gives fans license to use profanity on him that would make a drunken sailor cringe, make vicious gay jokes, harrass his parents, make threatening calls to his cell phone, and make sexually explicit remarks about his 13-year-old sister? How strange.

/soapbox

Hey, did anybody see the FSU-Duke game today? I bring it up because during the telecast, they showed A-Rod sitting in Cameron with the so-called Crazies, all decked out in Duke apparel. I think that combination of A-Rod + Duke = most nauseating thing I've ever seen. The fact that U. of Miami, the hometown school which gave the guy a baseball scholarship, is now an ACC rival made it even more wrong of him. What a freakin' tool.

Hey' date=' did anybody see the FSU-Duke game today? I bring it up because during the telecast, they showed A-Rod sitting in Cameron with the so-called Crazies, all decked out in Duke apparel. I think that combination of A-Rod + Duke = most nauseating thing I've ever seen. The fact that U. of Miami, the hometown school which gave the guy a baseball scholarship, is now an ACC rival made it even more wrong of him. What a freakin' tool.[/quote']

I was just going to mention that. Here's a picture.

Enough to make you think twice, SG? :D

I was just going to mention that. Here's a picture.

Enough to make you think twice, SG? :D

Wow, he may well be my most hated person on the planet now. He has 2 of my 3 criteria:

1) Dooie

2) Yankee

3) Nazi/Al-Qaeda operative

I suppose it could have been worse had he been brandishing a swastika and a kafiyah.

Florida State 28 fouls - Duke 15 fouls. Duke will always get the calls in a close ACC game. Too bad they will lose in the elite 8 when they play a good team with officials who don't favor them in their physical defense. Williams will sit a lot in foul trouble and Redick won't get every call when he forces contact.

Duke most definitely gets preferential treatment in the ACC, maybe that is what you get when you are that good for so long. But there is no doubt the last two games there have been too many calls going Duke's way, especially at the end of the game.

Dukie V is soooo up in Coach Ks arss.

Florida State 28 fouls - Duke 15 fouls. Duke will always get the calls in a close ACC game. Too bad they will lose in the elite 8 when they play a good team with officials who don't favor them in their physical defense. Williams will sit a lot in foul trouble and Redick won't get every call when he forces contact.

Duke most definitely gets preferential treatment in the ACC, maybe that is what you get when you are that good for so long. But there is no doubt the last two games there have been too many calls going Duke's way, especially at the end of the game.

Dukie V is soooo up in Coach Ks arss.

I hope you are not implying that there was some poor no call at the end of the game yesterday....If anything, not calling a charge on Thorton was the bad no call.

BTW, all of those fouls on FSu were correct except i did not feel Johnson should have gotten T'ed up when Sheldon got in his face(unless something was said that we do not know about).

I hope you are not implying that there was some poor no call at the end of the game yesterday....If anything, not calling a charge on Thorton was the bad no call.

BTW, all of those fouls on FSu were correct except i did not feel Johnson should have gotten T'ed up when Sheldon got in his face(unless something was said that we do not know about).

Yeah, the Florida St. drive at the end of the game where the ball CLEARLY went off Sheldon Williams but the ball was given back to Duke anyway. That was a terrible, horrific call, because the entire thing happened right in front of the ref. But, it is par for the course with ACC officials and Duke.

And, yes, the tech on Johnson was horrific. He was already called for an intentional foul, then backs away, then gets T'd up. Terrible. But at Cameron Indoor, that is what you get.

Yeah, the Florida St. drive at the end of the game where the ball CLEARLY went off Sheldon Williams but the ball was given back to Duke anyway. That was a terrible, horrific call, because the entire thing happened right in front of the ref. But, it is par for the course with ACC officials and Duke.

And, yes, the tech on Johnson was horrific. He was already called for an intentional foul, then backs away, then gets T'd up. Terrible. But at Cameron Indoor, that is what you get.

I am sure they called the T on him because the game was getting physical and i think they were sending amessage to both benches...I actually think it was better for them because it allowed Thorton to get in the lane more because Johnson was not clogging it up...But either way, it was a bad call unless something was said.

As for the ball going off of Sheldon...I honestly do not know...Certainly did not hear anyone complaining about it, so i am not sure it was clear...I paid attention to see if it was a foul, which it wasn't. If the ball hit off of him, i did not see it but then again, i am not saying it did not happen.

But with all the highlight shows i saw, i never heard anyone bring that up.

I am sure they called the T on him because the game was getting physical and i think they were sending amessage to both benches...I actually think it was better for them because it allowed Thorton to get in the lane more because Johnson was not clogging it up...But either way, it was a bad call unless something was said.

As for the ball going off of Sheldon...I honestly do not know...Certainly did not hear anyone complaining about it, so i am not sure it was clear...I paid attention to see if it was a foul, which it wasn't. If the ball hit off of him, i did not see it but then again, i am not saying it did not happen.

But with all the highlight shows i saw, i never heard anyone bring that up.

I saw the highlight on Sportscenter this morning, it was clearly off Williams and the ref was clearly in position to make the call, which he blew. As for whether it was a foul, could have been called in the beginning of the game, but not at the end.:002_stongue:

Archived