Markakis vs other young players

Sports Guy

Finally someone said David Wright. Prince Fielder is another for me. I wouldnt want Kendrick over Markakis at all.

Someone likely would have said Wright sooner, but he's in his fourth year.

I totally envy the left side of the Mets infield, as most major league teams should.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's tough, because you have to do a lot of projecting in a situation like this. What will a guy like Alex Gordon do? What will Delmon Young do? what about a guy that's older than Markakis, like Ryan Howard. How do you compare? So here's a list of guys that I'd trade Markakis for straight-up.

C: Brian McCann, Russell Martin

1B: Prince Fielder, Ryan Howard

2B: Howie Kendrick (though the broken fingers cloud things a little)

SS: Hanley Ramirez

3B: Ryan Braun, Alex Gordon, Ryan Zimmerman

OF: BJ Upton (he's really an OF), Jeff Francoeur

P: Tim Lincecum, Phil Hughes, Justin Verlander, Cole Hamels, Francisco Liriano (even with TJ surgery), Jon Papelbon, Felix Hernandez

Then there are the tougher calls like with Loney, Saltalamacchia, Tulowitzki, Yovani Gallardo, Dan Uggla, Chad Billingsley, Jonathan Broxton, Chris Young, Delmon Young, Matt Kemp, Hunter Pence (he's older and has overachieved thus far, he's probably fairly similar in the end), Billy Butler (good hitter, but no defense), Chien Mein Wang, maybe even a guy like Dustin Pedroia

Jeff Francoeur

Why is everyone higher on Francoer over Nick??

.293 ba, .336 obp, .433 slg is a strikeout machine, but his walks are up a bit this year.... compared to Nick,

.290 ba, .353 obp, .441 slg

same age, both with cannon arms... but I take Nick for the better eye.

Brian McCann(close)

Dustin Pedroia(close)

Jon Papelbon

Matsuzaka(not factoring in salary)

Sizemore(Is in his 4th year, but really only has about 3 years experience)

Troy Tulowitzki(close)

Granderson

Verlander

Hanley Ramirez

Hunter Pence

Howie Kendrick

Jered Weaver

Russell Martin

Matt Kemp

Chad Billingsley

Prince Fielder

Ryan Braun

Joe Mauer

Fransisco Liriano

David Wright

Philip Hughes

Ryan Howard

Cole Hamels

Tim Lincecum

Felix Hernandez

BJ Upton

Delmon Young

Scott Kazmir

Ryan Zimmerman

I'd rather have Markakis over most anyone with fewer than three years experience. I would want him over Delmon Young due to his bad attitude.

The short list of players I would want ahead of him are B.J. Upton and Jose Reyes, maybe Prince Fielder...although Nick does more in the field and can run, but it would be nice to have his big stick in the middle of the lineup for years to come. Is Miguel Cabrera in his third year or fourth? Because I can't imagine saying no to that deal despite the fact that Miguel Cabrera will weigh about 700 pounds by the year 2011.

Pitchers...hmmmm...Liriano...that might be all. Felix Hernandez reminds me of Daniel Cabrera...a lot. And not that I don't love the DCab, he's just way too inconsistent at this point.

Brian McCann(close)

Dustin Pedroia(close)

Jon Papelbon

Matsuzaka(not factoring in salary)

Sizemore(Is in his 4th year, but really only has about 3 years experience)

Troy Tulowitzki(close)

Granderson

Verlander

Hanley Ramirez

Hunter Pence

Howie Kendrick

Jered Weaver

Russell Martin

Matt Kemp

Chad Billingsley

Prince Fielder

Ryan Braun

Joe Mauer

Fransisco Liriano

David Wright

Philip Hughes

Ryan Howard

Cole Hamels

Tim Lincecum

Felix Hernandez

BJ Upton

Delmon Young

Scott Kazmir

Ryan Zimmerman

The original question was which players with 3 years or less MLB experience would you rather have than Markakis. So what you're saying here is that Markakis isn't good enough for you and you would rather have all those other players listed here instead of Nick Markakis. OK, fine that's your opinion. Maybe those guys are good , but I think this thread is a complete insult to Markakis. It's like you saying directly to Markakis "You're good Nick and you have potential, but we prefer the following instead of you:........"

The original question was which players with 3 years or less MLB experience would you rather have than Markakis. So what you're saying here is that Markakis isn't good enough for you and you would rather have all those other players listed here instead of Nick Markakis. OK, fine that's your opinion. Maybe those guys are good , but I think this thread is a complete insult to Markakis. It's like you saying directly to Markakis "You're good Nick and you have potential, but we prefer the following instead of you:........"

:confused:

Here. I'll bring it back here for you.

Yeah, I know what he asked, but I don't see how it's insulting to Nick or why anyone on here would get upset about it. I'm also not the one who asked the question, so I don't see why I got called out for answering the question, but whatever. This is a baseball board, we often compare players on here, the Oriole players are not always going to come out on top of those comparisions, no big deal.

Yeah, I know what he asked, but I don't see how it's insulting to Nick or why anyone on here would get upset about it. I'm also not the one who asked the question, so I don't see why I got called out for answering the question, but whatever. This is a baseball board, we often compare players on here, the Oriole players are not always going to come out on top of those comparisions, no big deal.

I'm a big fan of Nick Markakis and I thought the thread was dead. I was the first post. It got to me then and it gets to me now. The question should have been worded differently. As it stands it's an insult.

Archived