Not going to work in this park

eddie83

The solution to hitting in the new OPACY is to get good hitters and not really pay that much attention to tailoring everything to the park.   The Red Sox were always concerned about finding RHH and RHP because of the Monster and the deeper RF.  But their best players were power hitters Williams (LH), Yaz (LH), Ortiz (LH) who'd usually pull the ball.  Some of their better recent pitchers have been lefties Lester, Price, Rodriguez, Sale.  DiMaggio played his whole career in a park that was over 450' to LC/CF. 

Just get good players.  The other team has to play in the same park.

• Upvote 3

Tony-OH
This post was recognized by Tony-OH!

eddie83 was awarded the badge 'Great Content' and 1 points.

I have done some homework. 

I have not separated the total at bats in terms of facing LHP and RHP. Or at least looked at who started. This is a simple measurement of HR’s at home. Obviously there are more ways to score. 

Orioles have hit 72 HR’s at home. They have hit 28 from LHH. They have hit 44 from RHH.  This is total HR’s by month by RHH at home. I also went back and looked at all HR’s. Second column is over new wall. (*) are number of home games that month. 

RHH                Over new wall

(8) APRIL            1                      1

(16) MAY          10                     4

(11) JUNE             13                  7

(14)JULY                 7                   4

(12)AUG                  10                  5

(12)SEPT                3                     2 

-44 RHH HR’s, 23 have been pulled over new WALL

-In 20 home games in April and Sept the Orioles have hit a total of 4 HR’s by RHH. Ryan M has hit 3 of them. 

- Mountcastle has hit 4/11 over new wall

- Santander has hit 4/7

- Urias has hit 3/8

-Hays all 6 over new wall 

-Mancini 1/5

- Mateo 3/5

-Chirinos 1/1

-McKenna 1/1

All 28 HR’s by LHH have been hit to CF or pulled. 

I’m basically thinking out loud here and I have no gone back to see how the team hit on the road during the same months. 

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

The solution to hitting in the new OPACY is to get good hitters and not really pay that much attention to tailoring everything to the park.   The Red Sox were always concerned about finding RHH and RHP because of the Monster and the deeper RF.  But their best players were power hitters Williams (LH), Yaz (LH), Ortiz (LH) who'd usually pull the ball.  Some of their better recent pitchers have been lefties Lester, Price, Rodriguez, Sale.  DiMaggio played his whole career in a park that was over 450' to LC/CF. 

Just get good players.  The other team has to play in the same park.

Sure. I’m just pointing out this stadium was a haven for cheap HR’s to LF. Now it’s the opposite. 

11 hours ago, Brooks The Great said:

Give me Westburg at 2B and Ortiz at SS next year. They'd be an upgrade offensively (I believe a big upgrade) over Odor, Mateo, and Urias, with little to no dropoff on defense.

Ortiz sprays ball with power all over the field.  Weatburg tends to get pull happy which tends to push him into slumps until he makes the adjustment.  Advantage Ortiz in that regard.  Weatburg has big boy pop - Advantage Westburg.  I’m just excited to see how it plays out.  

Edited by emmett16
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, waroriole said:

Batters make adjustments all the time. You can’t have the same plan at the plate for every pitcher. It’s not like these two guys don’t use all fields during hot streaks, so you know they’re capable. 

I want to see some spray charts that indicate significant differences in individual batted ball tendencies based on park.

• Upvote 1

Pretty sure I did this math right, but someone feel free to check me.

Aaron Judge this year in OPACY hit .438/.500/1.000 against us.  That 1.5000 OPS is actually higher than his overall number against the O's this year.  Guess there is still one more series in NY coming up where he could catch up.

Man, can you imagine if he was Left-handed?!?!?!?!?

Wonder if he would be a "good fit" for the O's and Camden Yards if he somehow became available.

51 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

I have done some homework. 

I have not separated the total at bats in terms of facing LHP and RHP. Or at least looked at who started. This is a simple measurement of HR’s at home. Obviously there are more ways to score. 

Orioles have hit 72 HR’s at home. They have hit 28 from LHH. They have hit 44 from RHH.  This is total HR’s by month by RHH at home. I also went back and looked at all HR’s. Second column is over new wall. (*) are number of home games that month. 

RHH                Over new wall

(8) APRIL            1                      1

(16) MAY          10                     4

(11) JUNE             13                  7

(14)JULY                 7                   4

(12)AUG                  10                  5

(12)SEPT                3                     2 

-44 RHH HR’s, 23 have been pulled over new WALL

-In 20 home games in April and Sept the Orioles have hit a total of 4 HR’s by RHH. Ryan M has hit 3 of them. 

- Mountcastle has hit 4/11 over new wall

- Santander has hit 4/7

- Urias has hit 3/8

-Hays all 6 over new wall 

-Mancini 1/5

- Mateo 3/5

-Chirinos 1/1

-McKenna 1/1

All 28 HR’s by LHH have been hit to CF or pulled. 

I’m basically thinking out loud here and I have no gone back to see how the team hit on the road during the same months. 

Nice research.  What did you do, look at video of every RHH homer at OPACY?

My immediate question is, what about opposing RHH?   We have outhomered our opponents at home 72-70, while we’ve been outhomered on the road 88-81.   That suggests to me that our team being poorly constructed for OPACY is not the problem.  It’s a tough place to hit homers as a RHH now, but that’s true for both teams and our RHH are faring no worse than our opponents, maybe better.  But I don’t have the data on that.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

I’m really frustrated with Ramon Ortiz.   That guy has literally done nothing for this team!

Lol, I meant Urias. I think Ramon Ortiz is a combination of Ramon Urias and Joey Ortiz???

Seriously, the main thing Ramon brought going into this year was high BB% and good AB's, but that has disappeared. He has played plus defense at 3B and done just enough with the bat to stay as a starter for now, but he is in a similar place with Mateo and Hays where we may have better options soon.

2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Nice research.  What did you do, look at video of every RHH homer at OPACY?

My immediate question is, what about opposing RHH?   We have outhomered our opponents at home 72-70, while we’ve been outhomered on the road 88-81.   That suggests to me that our team being poorly constructed for OPACY is not the problem.  It’s a tough place to hit homers as a RHH now, but that’s true for both teams and our RHH are faring no worse than our opponents, maybe better.  But I don’t have the data on that.  

I did. Went on the app and just clicked by date. Already had the days of HR’s. 

I have not looked at road teams. 

• Thanks 2

31 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

I want to see some spray charts that indicate significant differences in individual batted ball tendencies based on park.

Have not looked at Orioles this year. 

Wade Boggs played in Boston from 82-92. 

On road he hit .307 and averaged a double per at bat at 4.5%. OPS over .900 twice. 

At home he hit .369 and averaged a double 9.2% of at bats. OPS over 1k, 4 times and 6 more over .900. So 10 years over .900 OPS at home. 

He was good on the road and Superman at home.