Roberts for Gavin Floyd a possibility?

Greg Pappas

The White Sox aren't trading Gavin Floyd for Brian Roberts. Everyone needs to get over that right now. It doesn't make sense for a team trying to contend to deal one of their main starters. Think about all the moves the White Sox would have to make in order to make a Roberts/Floyd trade work out for them in the end:

1.) Acquire Roberts.

2.) Sign or trade for another starter to replace Floyd.

3.) Trade Jermaine Dye so they can afford Roberts and the new starter.

The White Sox would also want to sign Roberts to an extension, which would cost them even more money. Money that they might need to sign a free agent starter. I'm sure the interest in Roberts is real, but just not including Gavin Floyd. Look for a trade based around Christopher Getz and maybe Josh Fields, plus some pitchers.

Well wasn't it Chicago the one that offer B-Rob for Floyd swap? But, The Orioles wanted a little more? I may be wrong.

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well wasn't it Chicago the one that offer B-Rob for Floyd swap? But, The Orioles wanted a little more? I may be wrong.

That is the way it was explained on MLBN. In essence, they said Angelos loves B-Rob a bunch and didn't want to let him go, unless the O's got Floyd AND another player. The ChiSox want Brian Roberts, just not at the current asking price.

-Don

Yes. And apparently, Mark Teixeira has a strong attraction to Baltimore.

Well, to be fair, there's the type of strong attraction where you want to be holding hands and reading the newspaper together when you grow old.

Then again, there's the strong attraction when you want to rip off someone's spiffy new "Baltimore" outfit, turn them around and ravage them in a way that leaves them sore and limping for days.

The latter's closer to what Teixeira did to the O's.

If that blog is correct, then Roch isn't the only one off base as it was also reported by Jon Heyman of SI.com/MLBN.

I'm all for keeping Brian Roberts anyway, so if it is not true, I'm cool with that. If there is more to it, and we have a shot at Floyd, I could support that as well.

-Don

In what universe does a 1st round pick + a supplemental sandwich pick qualify as nothing?

Great point, but I still can't imagine the O's watching him walk away. Trade value or the value he would add by simply staying with the team seems like a better deal than draft picks.

-Don

In what universe does a 1st round pick + a supplemental sandwich pick qualify as nothing?

The Nats could always sign him to play 2B if they don't get Hudson this offseason. Then we would only get a 2nd round pick and a supplemental...

And considering he lives in Baltimore, he wouldn't have to move very far...

Great point, but I still can't imagine the O's watching him walk away. Trade value or the value he would add by simply staying with the team seems like a better deal than draft picks.

-Don

Oh, I agree with you 100%, but two picks have value, and I don't think he'll be dealt unless MacPhail is confident the return is greater than that value.

Archived