Roberts for Gavin Floyd a possibility?

Greg Pappas

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply
He would still make a nice stopgap until a young 2B is ready to fill our hole.

I don't think anybody here thought he was going to be an All-Star, but for a year or 2 he could be our starting 2B then turn into a fine utility man.

I'd be okay with that as well.

Roberts was seen as a utility guy at one point. A platoon of Freel and Getz at 2B wouldn't be horrible for a year and both can leadoff.

Obviously MacPhail should find somebody better than Getz, but he can audition for the full time role in 2009.

I believe we are in cahoots on this matter. ;)

EDIT: How often do any of us get to use words like 'yonder' and 'cahoots' anyway? :D

Is Getz a significantly better prospect than Turner?

The key word is 'significantly'... and that is hard to say.

Pushed on a response I'd say Getz would likely be a '5.5' and Turner a '4.5', with 5 representing the average ML 2B'man (on a scale of 1-10). I would add that Getz has more upside as well. Hope that made sense. :D

I don't think that there's much chance of this deal happening.

With MacPhail's pace, trying to work out a sign-and-trade situation with Roberts will be a complete mess. The deal is dead unless BRob extends with the WSox and the only time I can remember that happening is Johan with the Mets. He will test the FA market next year.

Wouldn't get too excited about this one...

I don't see the White Sox being serious about giving us Floyd. If they are really trying to get Brian Roberts, it is because they want to compete next year. That would be hard to do with only two established, dependable starters on their team. I would definitely like the deal from the Orioles' side, but I don't see it happening.

A change of scene might be good for Getz.

If it's a Getz/Floyd tandem for Roberts, what else do you think they'll want that we'll be willing to give up? A bullpen arm and a prospect? That's a bit steep if so.

This was the most accurate take I found on Gavin Floyd.

http://www.fangraphs.com/fantasy/index.php/gavin-floyd-step-forward-or-fluke

After reading the thing Greg posted about the other guy, and seeing some folks saying that a fill-in 2B/util-guy was good enough, I wondered if Floyd was somehow more special than I realized.

Then I read what's at the link you posted.

Ouch.

I don't know what the truth is, but after reading this and the thing Greg posted, I have a hard time seeing how folks are ready to jump at these 2 guys in return for someone of BRob's caliber.

On a more positive note, I expect that AM won't will get suckered into dealing BRob for filler, so I'm not gonna worry about it.

Has anyone posted the comparable comments re: Floyd?

Jim and I were talking about it earlier. This article I found should help shed some light linkage.

Long and short, he's a smart pitcher who knows what he has and how to use it. If he could take a bit off of that sinker and get it to drop some more, he could do well in OPACY. Sinker ball pitchers tend to do well, (see Erickson, S. and Lowe, D.) Either way he is what he is, a legit #3 or 4 starter depending on pitching depth, and being a few years older could do well to play elder statesmen with Guthrie for a young rotation.

Getz reminds me a lot of Roberts when he was younger, they really didn't move Roberts to 2B until he had been up for a while and we signed Bordick. Getz is about now what Roberts was in 2002-2003. I'd love to see Fields wind up here too, but if it was a dealbreaker I would happily do without him.

IMO, this is a b.s. attempt to make up for missing out on Tex. We missed out on the local boy who was a real difference maker so we'll make a run at another local boy who's stats are very deceiving while making B-Rob out to be a bad guy (trade him because he rejects an extension, when who could blame the guy for not wanting to essentially finish out his career in last place?)

Uh that thread ran its course and some people were sent to their respective rooms...

For reference I'd check out how things were handled during the Tex saga...

I was hoping we all might share standardized test scores and settle the issue really quickly. Bummed I missed the end of that.

Archived