Roberts for Gavin Floyd a possibility?

Greg Pappas

The most frightening thing about Floyd is the .515 career slugging percentage lefties have against him. (Sure, he held it down to .485 last year)

Lefties have accounted for just 47.2% of the plate appearances against Floyd in his career. Last year, the figure was 48.6%.

In the AL East, however, it seems to me you have to face even more left-handed power. (I could be wrong, I don't have time to research the exact figures right now). For example, here's the percentage of lefties faced by the O's top two right-handed starters the last couple seasons.

Jeremy Guthrie

2008 = 51.8% of PA's by LH batters

2007 = 51.6% of PA's by LH batters

Daniel Cabrera

2008 = 55.7% of PA's by LH batters

2007 = 51.1% of PA's by LH batters

Cabrera's inability to limit the damage by lefty swingers was a major reason for his struggles the last couple of years. Guthrie, on the other hand, improved his platoon splits nicely from 2007-2008.

To remain a successful MLB starter, I think Floyd will have to do the same. Can he? Well, that's what makes the actual games so dag on interesting.

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The sentimental part of me hopes Roberts sticks around at least until the trade deadline so he can become the modern Orioles all-time leader in games played at second base:

Through 2008

964 - Rich Dauer

947 - Davey Johnson

880- Brian Roberts

People can pick apart that reasoning all they want, but as an Orioles history buff it has meaning to me.

Just for kicks, here are the leaders by position:

C - Rick Dempsey

1B - Eddie Murray

2B - Rich Dauer

3B - Brooks Robinson

SS - Cal Ripken

LF - Brady Anderson

CF - Paul Blair

RF - Ken Singleton

DH - Harold Baines

SP - Jim Palmer

RP - Tippy Martinez

(Belanger & Boog are in the top 5 for overall O's games, but they don't lead their positions)

The most frightening thing about Floyd is the .515 career slugging percentage lefties have against him. (Sure, he held it down to .485 last year)

Lefties have accounted for just 47.2% of the plate appearances against Floyd in his career. Last year, the figure was 48.6%.

In the AL East, however, it seems to me you have to face even more left-handed power. (I could be wrong, I don't have time to research the exact figures right now). For example, here's the percentage of lefties faced by the O's top two right-handed starters the last couple seasons.

Jeremy Guthrie

2008 = 51.8% of PA's by LH batters

2007 = 51.6% of PA's by LH batters

Daniel Cabrera

2008 = 55.7% of PA's by LH batters

2007 = 51.1% of PA's by LH batters

Cabrera's inability to limit the damage by lefty swingers was a major reason for his struggles the last couple of years. Guthrie, on the other hand, improved his platoon splits nicely from 2007-2008.

To remain a successful MLB starter, I think Floyd will have to do the same. Can he? Well, that's what makes the actual games so dag on interesting.

His cutter should help him.

It's hard for me to believe that any pitcher, who is currently using both (or at least ones) of his arms at age 25 is on "Borrowed time".

Which is part of why I found that piece to be so un-encouraging....

Made the guy sound a little bit like DCab without the big upside that DCab brought with him.

His cutter should help him.

His cutter should help against righties. If Kranitz can get him to work on his sinker, that should be his go to pitch, it has a lot of movement left to right, in on RH, but keep it on the ground in CY. His curveball is his out pitch, but it's a hard 1-7 curve, kinda reminds me of Gregg Olson, or Ben Sheets, it's the one he has the most confidence in. His slider doesn't really dart down and away like a slider normally does, but it does a good job of jamming LH hitters.

He's got the tools, and judging by his home stats in the Cell, he uses them wisely. Much like a QB in football, I would take a guy with less tools but more "smarts" any day of the week. I am ok with taking a shot at Floyd as long as there is a prospect or two included to hedge our bets so to speak.

We aren't getting Lincecum, Hamels, Kazmir, Hardy, Fielder, Cain or people of that level by trading Roberts this season, Floyd/Getz +1 would be an amazing deal, but just Floyd/Getz I could be happy with too.

Another place I would check if I were AM is SF and see if we could get something to the effect of Sanchez/Noonan/Alderson. I would even try to see if they'd bite on expanding another top prospect for Scott or Sherrill, they have some good young guys out there. This is just OH speculation though.

His cutter should help against righties. If Kranitz can get him to work on his sinker, that should be his go to pitch, it has a lot of movement left to right, in on RH, but keep it on the ground in CY. His curveball is his out pitch, but it's a hard 1-7 curve, kinda reminds me of Gregg Olson, or Ben Sheets, it's the one he has the most confidence in. His slider doesn't really dart down and away like a slider normally does, but it does a good job of jamming LH hitters.

He's got the tools, and judging by his home stats in the Cell, he uses them wisely. Much like a QB in football, I would take a guy with less tools but more "smarts" any day of the week. I am ok with taking a shot at Floyd as long as there is a prospect or two included to hedge our bets so to speak.

We aren't getting Lincecum, Hamels, Kazmir, Hardy, Fielder, Cain or people of that level by trading Roberts this season, Floyd/Getz +1 would be an amazing deal, but just Floyd/Getz I could be happy with too.

Another place I would check if I were AM is SF and see if we could get something to the effect of Sanchez/Noonan/Alderson. I would even try to see if they'd bite on expanding another top prospect for Scott or Sherrill, they have some good young guys out there. This is just OH speculation though.

Good post. As much as I would like there to be a bidding war for Roberts, having SF give up Sanchez, Noonan, and Alderson is way too much. I think we'd be fortunate to get one of Alderson or Sanchez and Noonan for Brob, and that's probably only likely if he comes with an extension.

It's an interesting thought though. If we expanded and added Sherrill or Scott, I wonder if we could get Sanchez, Alderson, and Noonan. And say we were able to get that deal, which package would be better for the O's:

Roberts for Floyd and Getz

or

Roberts +Sherrill/Scott for Sanchez, Alderson, and Noonan

Good post. As much as I would like there to be a bidding war for Roberts, having SF give up Sanchez, Noonan, and Alderson is way too much. I think we'd be fortunate to get one of Alderson or Sanchez and Noonan for Brob, and that's probably only likely if he comes with an extension.

It's an interesting thought though. If we expanded and added Sherrill or Scott, I wonder if we could get Sanchez, Alderson, and Noonan. And say we were able to get that deal, which package would be better for the O's:

Roberts for Floyd and Getz

or

Roberts +Sherrill/Scott for Sanchez, Alderson, and Noonan

Thanks. Yeah I don't think we'd get all of them for just Roberts, but I think those are guys we should target. They are pretty deep with the SP. Personally I would rather skip Sanchez and shoot for Bumgarner, but he reminds me of Sheets (health risks and all) and if they include him no way we get the other 2.

That was where I was going with that though, we have a good idea of what we could ask for from the CHW, but what other teams could use Roberts and make a comparable package?

Squaring-up issue. He needed a harder pitch to run in on LH for less hard contact.

I brought this point up in the previous thread (which is now shutdown), I thought that Kenny Williams historically values veterans over prospects, and with Macphail's record in previous trades with baltimore, we can get a better return for Roberts simply than Getz and Floyd.

I threw the name of Levi Maxwell outhere as a potential +1 in the deal.

What do you think.

http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?n=Levi%20Maxwell&pos=P&sid=milb&t=p_pbp&pid=518997

I brought this point up in the previous thread (which is now shutdown), I thought that Kenny Williams historically values veterans over prospects, and with Macphail's record in previous trades with baltimore, we can get a better return for Roberts simply than Getz and Floyd.

Has anyone seen anything that suggests that the ChiSox have moved off of their original proposal of Floyd for Roberts, straight up?

I understand that pitching wins are meaningless and that Floyd wasn't really as good a pitcher last season as his raw ERA numbers indicate, but still, a 26 year old pitcher under club control for four more seasons, coming off a 17-win season with a 3.8 ERA in 200 IP...it's hard to believe that we could get much more than that for one season of Roberts plus the draft picks.

Archived