Roberts for Gavin Floyd a possibility?

Greg Pappas

The Orioles should tell him they want to trade him to a team that close. That he can choose that or being the right handed bat off the bench. If he chooses the latter then we probably should cut him. If we are not going to upgrade the team this year with free agents then we should be playing the Kids. Reimold & Montanez in LF (Trade Scott) & Salazar/Moore/Costanzo at 3B. Find out if any of these guys are the answer. I would keep Huff at DH & play Salazar at 1B. but thats just my opinion.

Salazar will play most of next year at 31. He's no kid. I am not sure that with his age he is worth more than a bench spot (if that).

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Why Not ???

Because you're a professional sports franchise, and you play to win the game. These guys have alot of pride in what they do and you don't just say let's go lose, b/c it will help the team later. I don't know if you're being sarcastic, but if not then you really have alot to learn about what these guys do.

Because you're a professional sports franchise, and you play to win the game. These guys have alot of pride in what they do and you don't just say let's go lose, b/c it will help the team later. I don't know if you're being sarcastic, but if not then you really have alot to learn about what these guys do.

ok to be honest I was being sarcastic.

Because you're a professional sports franchise, and you play to win the game.

Can someone please explain this to PGA???

On MLB Network tonight, they noted the Chisox believe the O's are asking too much for B-Rob. In essence, it sounded like Chicago likes Floyd for Roberts straight up, not Floyd AND another player.

If that's the best offer I have, I still pull the trigger.

But we all know Andy Mac, he's going to milk this thing every which way, even if it means dragging it out until ST. I wouldn't be shocked to see a prospect or two, even a A or AA prospect, coming back our way.

The Orioles should tell him they want to trade him to a team that close. That he can choose that or being the right handed bat off the bench. If he chooses the latter then we probably should cut him. If we are not going to upgrade the team this year with free agents then we should be playing the Kids. Reimold & Montanez in LF (Trade Scott) & Salazar/Moore/Costanzo at 3B. Find out if any of these guys are the answer. I would keep Huff at DH & play Salazar at 1B. but thats just my opinion.

Because releasing Mora makes a lot of sense?

We can tell from minor league numbers that Moore nor Costanzo are the answer, at least yet.

And why are you giving up on Scott, when he is exactly what we should have on this team?

I shudder to think of the question for which Scott Moore and Mike Costanzo are the answers. :laughlol:

If that's the best offer I have' date=' I still pull the trigger.

But we all know Andy Mac, he's going to milk this thing every which way, even if it means dragging it out until ST. I wouldn't be shocked to see a prospect or two, even a A or AA prospect, coming back our way.[/quote']

AM has a good track record milking these trades...we got more back for Trachsel, Bedard, Tejada and Hernandez than the other teams originally wanted to give up. So I don't mind Macphail trying to hold out for more.

But when push comes to shove, Floyd straight up is better than other offers I've heard for Roberts and better than keeping him for 09 and just getting two draft picks for him.

I'd like to think the club will make an honest effort to resign him (in other words, they will make an offer that doesn't insult his intelligence), despite the possibility of trading him for Floyd. Roberts is likely to maintain his value for several more seasons and there's no reason he can't still be an above average leadoff hitter and second basemen when the O's are ready to contend in 2-3 years.

AM has a good track record milking these trades...we got more back for Trachsel, Bedard, Tejada and Hernandez than the other teams originally wanted to give up. So I don't mind Macphail trying to hold out for more.

But when push comes to shove, Floyd straight up is better than other offers I've heard for Roberts and better than keeping him for 09 and just getting two draft picks for him.

I'd like to think the club will make an honest effort to resign him (in other words, they will make an offer that doesn't insult his intelligence), despite the possibility of trading him for Floyd. Roberts is likely to maintain his value for several more seasons and there's no reason he can't still be an above average leadoff hitter and second basemen when the O's are ready to contend in 2-3 years.

What do you think of the possibility that the Orioles planted this rumor and are using it as part of their negotiaitons with Roberts. Going to Chicago as a part of the Cubs is pretty alluring I would think. But going to the White Sox doesn't have the same appeal IMO. Maybe Roberts would prefer to sign here when he considers some of the teams to whom he could be traded?

What do you think of the possibility that the Orioles planted this rumor and are using it as part of their negotiaitons with Roberts. Going to Chicago as a part of the Cubs is pretty alluring I would think. But going to the White Sox doesn't have the same appeal IMO. Maybe Roberts would prefer to sign here when he considers some of the teams to whom he could be traded?

I don't know about that. The WS could easily win the AL Central or at least be in the race for most of the season.

The only team that is pretty much eliminated right away is KC. Otherwise that division is up for grabs.

The Orioles and Blue Jays won't compete for the divison barring some huge moves for the next 3-4 seasons at least.

This is something I've thought of as well. I'm guessing the interest in Roberts isn't very high right now, and we're going to wind up getting draft picks for him in the end.

Maybe we can sign him to a reasonable extension...who knows? The only thing I'd wonder is if Roberts really wants to re-sign here?

This is something I've thought of as well. I'm guessing the interest in Roberts isn't very high right now, and we're going to wind up getting draft picks for him in the end.

Maybe we can sign him to a reasonable extension...who knows? The only thing I'd wonder is if Roberts really wants to re-sign here?

Yeah, I have my doubts too.

and he can be a free agent at years end so he's not locked in unless he wants to be.

Archived