"If he could hit, we couldn't afford him."

wildcard

30 minutes ago, Ceciltrav said:

This is a huge winter for Mateo.  he should have confidence enough to put in the work to get better for next year.  The Orioles gave him a chance.  He took it.   Now put in the work Mr. Mateo.

Do we know that he doesn't work hard?  I had not heard this but I may have missed something.  My sense has never been that work ethic has been an issue - it's just that he's not a good hitter.

2 hours ago, wildcard said:

There should not be a defensive drop off between ages 27 and 28.   Now he could be hurt.  His offense is the question mark for next year IMO.  Not his defense.

Defense can slump.  Or streak. We don't usually see it because most people don't look or don't believe at defensive metrics.

57 minutes ago, btownoriole said:

Do we know that he doesn't work hard?  I had not heard this but I may have missed something.  My sense has never been that work ethic has been an issue - it's just that he's not a good hitter.

I assume that almost everyone in the Majors has had to work very hard or they'd have been released in the minors.  It's a microscopic percentage of the population that is so talented that they can be a Major League player without constantly working hard, learning and adjusting.

• Upvote 1

Mateo needs to sit down with the coaches and look at video in July in the beginning of his good streak when he struck out 3 times in 38 PA and compare to video later in August and September. It's my contention that it's something as simple as keeping his front hip closed longer and keeping his weight back longer.  Simple but complicated when pitchers are throwing 98 mph fastballs.  Stir, he made the adjustment once and slowly came out of it.  He's never going to be a great hitter but he can be average. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, RZNJ said:

Mateo needs to sit down with the coaches and look at video in July in the beginning of his good streak when he struck out 3 times in 38 PA and compare to video later in August and September. It's my contention that it's something as simple as keeping his front hip closed longer and keeping his weight back longer.  Simple but complicated when pitchers are throwing 98 mph fastballs.  Stir, he made the adjustment once and slowly came out of it.  He's never going to be a great hitter but he can be average. 

That’s a pretty good summary of what he needs for starters. But Henderson needs to be at SS. 

I really like Mateo at SS, he is fun to watch and he’s a threat when he gets on base. They should be able to get a decent return for a guy with plus skills at his position. 

8 hours ago, RZNJ said:

Mateo needs to sit down with the coaches and look at video in July in the beginning of his good streak when he struck out 3 times in 38 PA and compare to video later in August and September. 

Is it even conceivable that this hasn’t happened?

On 10/3/2022 at 2:52 PM, Gurgi said:

Mateo is a fun story but we need to move on.  We got Henderson to play SS.  Westburg to play third and Ortiz to play second.  Mateo needs to go.  

I’ve been repeating this a ton but it’s silly to me to just assume those two guys will be able to step in and immediately duplicate or exceed Mateos production.

• Upvote 2

16 minutes ago, survivedc said:

I’ve been repeating this a ton but it’s silly to me to just assume those two guys will be able to step in and immediately duplicate or exceed Mateos production.

Offensively, it would be hard not too.  Everyone who has seen Ortiz play defense, says he’s plus at SS.   Nothing’s guaranteed. Mateo could be better or worse next year. I’d bet on Ortiz over Mateo at SS if that was the choice.  However, everything depends on the plan for Henderson.   If it’s SS all bets are off.

• Upvote 1

On 10/3/2022 at 2:52 PM, Gurgi said:

Mateo is a fun story but we need to move on.  We got Henderson to play SS.  Westburg to play third and Ortiz to play second.  Mateo needs to go.  

I agree, but ideally Henderson stays at third while we sign Turner to play short (hoping we have a shot since he may prefer east coast). Turner, Mullins, Henderson is a nice top 3. 

5 hours ago, RZNJ said:

Offensively, it would be hard not too.  Everyone who has seen Ortiz play defense, says he’s plus at SS.   Nothing’s guaranteed. Mateo could be better or worse next year. I’d bet on Ortiz over Mateo at SS if that was the choice.

You’re talking overall, right?  Not defensively?

He should be traded in the off-season. Preferably for SP, but I think we have to sell high on him. Too many quality IF in Norfolk and at the ML level to not sell from a position of strength. I really liked watching the guy this year, but it’s the only logical choice.