Anthony Santander - Now a Core Player Going Forward?

StillanOfan

Wanted to put this out there for discussion.

With the roll that Santander has been on the past week (two more HRs so far tonight), has he become a core player moving forward and worthy of a long-term extension or does Elias sell at PEAK value?  I do believe the asking price has now gone up.

I think it is an interesting dynamic that may have supporters on both sides depending on the cost/term (to stay) or the possible return.

• Upvote 1

It's likely a career year Santander is 27 years old and many players have their best season at approximately this age. I like Santander, but Elias needs to listen to any offers.

There is no shortage of outfield talent in the farm system, but when it comes to starting pitching not so much. If Santander can secure a good pitcher in a trade then Elias has to at least think about it. 

• Upvote 3

32 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Do guys suddenly become core players when they go on hot streaks?

If you want to ignore that he has been consistently good offensively this year, that’s your choice. However, his wRC+ by month, and for the season, is as follows:

March/April: 136

May: 98

June: 120

July: 162

August: 120

September: 104

Season: 122

His WAR is 2.4 despite his shortcomings. His OPS could be higher, but I think he’s a better player than people give him credit for around here. Given that his selectivity has improved I don’t believe that he has peaked, while others do believe that. As I’ve said before, I think his first 2 years with the Orioles, where they gamed the system to keep him, hurt his development. I don’t think Stowers can give you the same production. I hope that Cowser can, but I don’t know that he can. I think exploring keeping the player that has been your second best hitter (I’m not including Gunnar) is not a bad idea.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Sydnor said:

I think exploring keeping the player that has been your second best hitter (I’m not including Gunnar) is not a bad idea.

The fact that he's the 2nd best hitter should be alarming and cause for concern.  If you look at the rest of the AL East teams and who their 2nd best hitters are, I'm would assume that Santander doesn't really stack up.

Look, I'm not trashing Santander.  He's a good player.  He's just not GREAT.  I'm not ignoring anything, but @Sports Guyis correct, his OPS is still under .800.  His WAR, like you said, is 2.4.  That's replaceable.   If you want to cling to wRC+ like it's some great harbinger of a true stud player, well, that's fine, too.

I'm fine with keeping him if it's deemed that there aren't any worthwhile trades for him out there.  I'm also fine with trading him if we can get something that's perceived as valuable in return.  

For the record, again, he's a good player.  He's a fine player.  Seems like a really good dude, likable and I'm impressed we got him in the Rule 5.  But he's not irreplaceable.  

• Upvote 3

16 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

The fact that he's the 2nd best hitter should be alarming and cause for concern.  

It should be cause for concern. Unfortunately, I don’t think they can realistically replace everyone on the team other than Gunnar and Adley, as it seems some would like to do this offseason. I’d bet on Santander being a more valuable player than Hays, Mountcastle, Stowers, Vavra, Hudson Haskin, John Rhodes, and any other outfielder other than maybe Cowser (who needs to prove it) and Mullins (who many want to trade) over the next 3 years. 

His 2.4 WAR (among position players only) would be 5th on the Yankees (.1 behind Rizzo who is 4th), 3rd on the Red Sox, 4th on the Rays, and 6th on Toronto.

His .781 OPS entering tonight (among players with 400 plate appearances) would be 3rd on the Yankees, 3rd on the Red Sox, 3rd on the Rays, and 6th on Toronto.

Any player can be traded, I get that. He’s not irreplaceable, but I don’t think he is as easy to replace as many do. Where he would stack up on AL East opponents seems to support that idea. I also think he’ll continue to improve while most here do not think he will continue to improve.

Been wondering for a few years now what he could do if he stayed healthy for a full season. Turns out he could be pretty good, and having a switch-hitter with power is a positive that doesn't quantify statistically. But he's a free agent after two seasons, and there's a decent likelihood that he'll never eclipse 2022 and near certainty he will never have more trade value than he does this offseason. So it almost entirely depends on what demand there is for him this offseason. And while it seems like we need to find a few places to upgrade this offseason, his spot isn't one of them. But then I come back to my first sentence and wonder how much we could end up regretting not trading him if his injury woes return. So, in short......shrug?