Bunch of roster moves 9/28/22

eddie83

3 minutes ago, Ceciltrav said:

Hill isn't even a lefty flame thrower.  He's a soft tossing lefty.  I'd play my best lineup period at this point in the year.  You know how many games in the last week we have lost and Seattle lost as well?  

Is there any evidence that lefty flame throwers have different R/L split differentials than soft-tossing lefties?

Hill has about the biggest breaking curve ball I’ve ever seen.  That can’t be comfortable for a LHB.

• Upvote 1

Can we all just stop being so analytical??

Bottom line is we have a bunch of early-mid 20's rookies who are better players than the poop in this lineup. We are 3 1/2 games out with 8 to play and SEA is crapping the bed giving us a remote chance. All hands on deck until they're eliminated. They can rest in the offseason.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Oriole1940 said:

This idea of rest for him and him and him  is baloney.  They are in prime of  life and they have all Winter to rest.  I can hear the old timers laughing from their graves.  

I don't think Mullins, Henderson, and Rutschman are sitting for rest (certainly not the first two).   They are hitting because they have been very poor vs LH pitchers this year, and Henderson is 1 for his last 22 overall 

If someone that people didn't want to see play, like whipping boy Mountcastle in August or Odor all year, was 1 for his last 22, there would be people on here screaming to give him the day off.

Look, I want to see those guys play too, and will enjoy the game less without seeing Gunnar and Adley in the lineup.   But the statistics don't lie.   The reactions are over the top.

• People saying Hyde must be trying to lose -- WRONG, he is benching people who have sucked vs lefthanded pitching
  • People saying it's all about rest -- WRONG, with the exception of Rutschman who is a C and might need a bit more rest, none of tonight's "benchings" are about rest
  • People saying you should "play your best hitters" -- over a full season Cedric is OPSing .529 vs lefties.   Do you really think that VERSUS A LEFTY his is one of our best hitters?
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, dtk9119 said:

Bottom line is we have a bunch of early-mid 20's rookies who are better players than the poop in this lineup. We are 3 1/2 games out with 8 to play and SEA is crapping the bed giving us a remote chance. All hands on deck until they're eliminated. They can rest in the offseason.

Or MAYBE a team that was supposed to win 60 games has managed to win 80 with 8 left because they have been "so analytical" this season.    Maybe the people who run this team that have gotten the team farther than anyone ever thought they would actually knows what they are doing.

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, SteveA said:

Or MAYBE a team that was supposed to win 60 games has managed to win 80 with 8 left because they have been "so analytical" this season.    Maybe the people who run this team that have gotten the team farther than anyone ever thought they would actually knows what they are doing.

Let's just agree to disagree. I'll admit I am not into the analytics as many on here are, guess I am just more old school and use the eye test. In full this line up just seems like a white flag. Hope I'm wrong and we knock Hill out early to get to RHers in the pen which allows for the better players to play. I know Hyde is not "trying" to lose but he just doesn't seem to have the sense of urgency.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, dtk9119 said:

You know who isn't so analytical?

The Rockies.

How is that working out for them?

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

You know who isn't so analytical?

The Rockies.

How is that working out for them?

Not saying to NOT use analytics, I'm saying that when you are 3 1/2 out w/ 8 to play you put your BEST and most TALENTED players out there. Sure there could be some tweaks here and there, but to sit pretty much all of your young most talented players who shouldn't be tired and have more or less HELPED the team get to this point -- you play them until you are eliminated.

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, Oriole1940 said:

This idea of rest for him and him and him  is baloney.  They are in prime of  life and they have all Winter to rest.  I can hear the old timers laughing from their graves.  

This.   I'm not saying that they all need to be Cal and play every game.   But other than Adley at catcher, the idea that all these young men in their 20s need tons of time off I think is silly.  Sure, if they are banged up or something then fine.   But to act like every 5th game or whatever that these young athletes need a break is funny.

4 minutes ago, dtk9119 said:

Not saying to NOT use analytics, I'm saying that when you are 3 1/2 out w/ 8 to play you put your BEST and most TALENTED players out there. Sure there could be some tweaks here and there, but to sit pretty much all of your young most talented players who shouldn't be tired and have more or less HELPED the team get to this point -- you play them until you are eliminated.

Uhh.

I just remember Buck riding Wieters hard and him going down with a ligament injury that I think had an adverse long term impact on his career.

I think the main goal now is to get the young guys through the season healthy and with some experience to take into the offseason.

I would still rather sit them against a RHP for developmental purposes.

1 hour ago, Oriole1940 said:

Oh please.   You were born in 1940?   When you were 21, there were 34 players who missed 10 games or less.  This year, there are 47 players who’ve missed 10 games or less.   Factoring in that there are more teams, there’s virtually no difference in how often players sit.  

• Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, forphase1 said:

This.   I'm not saying that they all need to be Cal and play every game.   But other than Adley at catcher, the idea that all these young men in their 20s need tons of time off I think is silly.  Sure, if they are banged up or something then fine.   But to act like every 5th game or whatever that these young athletes need a break is funny.

Who’s sitting every 5 days just to get rest?   The O’s have played 25 games this month.  Mountcastle and Santander have started 24.   Adley and Gunnar have started 23.  Anyone else who’s not playing as often, it’s because they don’t hit lefties well or because they aren’t playing well enough to warrant playing every day.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Fiver6565 said:

There’s a week to go in the season. Why does a 21 year old kid need a day off at this point?  

Adley I can see. But Gunnar?  And Mullins again?

He’s slumping.  Played more this season than any season in his life.  A day off today isnt a big deal.  Probably the last one of the season.

• Upvote 1

54 minutes ago, forphase1 said:

If he’s healthy for a full season, Henderson should play around 150 games.

• Upvote 1