Struck out. All weekend.

Moose Milligan

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

The thing about Judge is he’s doing this in an era where offense is down a bit.  Regardless of how you feel about Bonds, the year he hit 73 there were other guys hitting 64, 57, 52 etc.   Judge has 19 more homers than the next guy on the leaderboard.  I can’t remember a year in my lifetime where the margin was that high.   You might have to go back to Babe Ruth to find a margin like that.  

Judge has 61 in 672 PA.  (1/11)

Trout has 38 in 472. (1/12.4)

This isn't to take away anything from what Judge has done but his pace isn't that much greater than one of his peers.

• Upvote 1

Barry Bonds had 177 walks with 35 IBB

Aaron Judge has 106 walks with 18 IBB

He is obviously getting pitched to more than Bonds did the year he broke the record, so I am not opposed to being really careful pitching to him, but wouldn’t go as far as throwing nothing but balls or intentionally walk every at bat. 

16 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

This isn't to take away anything from what Judge has done but his pace isn't that much greater than one of his peers.

Fair enough point.   But don’t we need to omit Trout from any comparison involving mere mortals?   Seriously, the guy is ridiculous year in and year out.  It’s just a matter of how many games he misses.

4 hours ago, Frobby said:

Is it really a big problem?    Walking guys is only rarely a good strategy.  

I'm not talking about walking guys as a strategy, but not throwing balls over the plate as a strategy. Pitchers try to do everything they can to not put any kind of remotely hittable pitch over the plate. The purpose of walks and ball and strikes was specifically so that they'd put balls over plate so hitters could put the ball in play.

Hitters know what pitchers are doing, so (most of them) wait until a ball is grooved, knowing if one isn't they can fall back on a walk.  Pitchers pitch around batters knowing the fallback is just a walk.  Both sides are pretty okay with nobody putting the ball in play.

Then one day you look up and you have a four-hour nine inning game where like 10 balls have been put in play.

32 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

One thing I haven't really thought through or looked into is why homers seem more spread out among players now.  How is it that MLB had 2019 where the most homers per PA of all time happened, but one guy in the NL and nobody in the AL hit 50 homers? 

You can speculate about steroids, but throughout history people have hit 50+ homers in seasons where there weren't half as many homers as today.  Jimmie Foxx, Hank Greenberg, Ruth, Foster, Mays, Hack Wilson, Mantle, Maris... but in the years where we saw the most homers ever by quite a ways Stanton, Judge, and Alonso were the only ones to clear 50 and Stanton is the only one to approach 60.

3 hours ago, DrungoHazewood said:

One thing I haven't really thought through or looked into is why homers seem more spread out among players now.  How is it that MLB had 2019 where the most homers per PA of all time happened, but one guy in the NL and nobody in the AL hit 50 homers? 

You can speculate about steroids, but throughout history people have hit 50+ homers in seasons where there weren't half as many homers as today.  Jimmie Foxx, Hank Greenberg, Ruth, Foster, Mays, Hack Wilson, Mantle, Maris... but in the years where we saw the most homers ever by quite a ways Stanton, Judge, and Alonso were the only ones to clear 50 and Stanton is the only one to approach 60.

It has always been the ball. Steroids had nothing to do with hitting. 

Change the ball and hits die, change the ball and they fly out the stadium.