Struck out. All weekend.

Moose Milligan

Everyone acts as though Bonds tested positive for PEDs. He never tested positive unlike ARod, Clemens, the beloved David Ortiz.  I don’t doubt he took PEDs but don’t think no one is taking them now and not getting caught. If you think the real record is 61, I have some adderall or provigil prescription for you as an athlete with ADHD or whatever else we can make up. 

***Note-I don’t have any reason to think Judge is taking anything, just hate when people think this record or that record doesn’t count because this or that. Ricky Henderson may have been high on coke for his records because it was a big thing during that era. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Edited by sevastras
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, sevastras said:

Everyone acts as though Bonds tested positive for PEDs. He never tested positive unlike ARod, Clemens, the beloved David Ortiz.  I don’t doubt he took PEDs but don’t think no one is taking them now and not getting caught. If you think the real record is 61, I have some adderall or provigil prescription for you as an athlete with ADHD or whatever else we can make up. 

***Note-I don’t have any reason to think Judge is taking anything, just hate when people think this record or that record doesn’t count because this or that. Ricky Henderson may have been high on coke for his records because it was a big thing during that era. 🤷🏻‍♂️

We don’t know what anyone does obviously. Clemens never tested positive. Bonds body and head size completely changed. It was obvious. He admitted to taking something… he said it was flaxseed oil and arthritis cream. 

Bonds was not a likable person and that was held against him as well. 

Are you implying Maris was on something?

1 minute ago, eddie83 said:

We don’t know what anyone does obviously. Clemens never tested positive. Bonds body and head size completely changed. It was obvious. He admitted to taking something… he said it was flaxseed oil and arthritis cream. 

Pretty good chance he was popping Greenies.

It was common.

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

Pretty good chance he was popping Greenies.

It was common.

Ok. We can play this game all day. Bonds popped positive for amphetamines. 

Bonds is not any different than some utility infielder who took stuff. There is no difference. I get that. The man’s body morphed. 

17 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

Ok. We can play this game all day. Bonds popped positive for amphetamines. 

Bonds is not any different than some utility infielder who took stuff. There is no difference. I get that. The man’s body morphed. 

I think the point is that we can play this game all day.

32 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, Morgan423 said:

On the surface, no it wouldn't be, and framing the argument this way makes what I said seem ridiculous. 

But please hear me out... I'm not advocating walking these guys on 100% of their plate appearances.  When the situation is favorable to us (for example: bases empty, two outs, he can't tie the game by himself in this at bat, that type of low-leverage scenario), we're still going to pitch to him, because the damage potential is as minimal as it can be. 

I think what I'm really trying to stress is the concept of BURST damage potential these guys always crush us with when we pitch to them at the wrong times.  So many times, the hottest hitter in MLB waltzes up to the plate with a couple of guys on... and we don't point to first and make his slumping or neutral teammate on-deck beat us; we pitch to stupidly-locked-in guy, and two minutes later, we're down three runs in the blink of an eye.

It reminds me a lot of playing online games competitively against other players.  There are people playing the character who does lots of damage, but spread out over time or among many of his opponents.  And that's the guy you tend to pick fights with... he could hurt you, but you are likely to survive if you outplay him. 

But then you see the guy playing the character who does a lot of damage at once in a focused burst if he happens to hit who he's firing at.  And you stay away from that guy when you see him, because if he hits you with a shot, you're just DEAD.

This scenario with pitching to the red-hot hitter feels like the baseball equivalent of that. 

The counter to that is hot is backward-looking.  For example, we always used to talk about Mark Reynolds going on these insane hot streaks.  So you target him on one of these streaks to walk, right?  Well in 2012 he had a 9-game run in September where he hit nine homers and had a 1.600 OPS.  The problem is that in the 12 games prior he OPS'd .650 and in the 11 games after .577.  So it's about 3-4 games into the streak where you think about really pitching around him all the time, and it's probably 3-4 games after it's over where you're like "huh, I guess we should start pitching to him again".  Half the hot streak you're still pitching to him, and well into the cold streak you're walking him.

So this isn't really actionable in any meaningful way.