Kawakami Narrows His List

furryburres

Well, Washington, DC is a lot closer than NY to Baltimore, and I'd think that would be an attraction to Japanese players.

Yes, the embassy was there, but how large of a Japanese population is there in DC?

I figure he would find New York more amenable to his culture, of any city on the East coast, but I don't really know what the relative populations of Japanese are in NY or DC.

This site claims that New York had the fourth largest Japanese American population among metropolitan regions in the United States. Basically confirms what I had assumed. Between the sushi bars and Japanese restaurants, Kawakami ought to be able to find plenty of comfort food when he chooses to eat out. I also suspect he will be able to find and afford Japanese servants -- cooks and maids -- to keep an apartment in New Yorkk properly tended. There are probably even upscale hotels in New York which cater to Japanese businessmen if he doesn't want to lease an apartment or buy a home.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yes, the embassy was there, but how large of a Japanese population is there in DC?

I figure he would find New York more amenable to his culture, of any city on the East coast, but I don't really know what the relative populations of Japanese are in NY or DC.

This site claims that New York had the fourth largest Japanese American population among metropolitan regions in the United States. Basically confirms what I had assumed. Between the sushi bars and Japanese restaurants, Kawakami ought to be able to find plenty of comfort food when he chooses to eat out. I also suspect he will be able to find and afford Japanese servants -- cooks and maids -- to keep an apartment in New Yorkk properly tended. There are probably even upscale hotels in New York which cater to Japanese businessmen if he doesn't want to lease an apartment or buy a home.

I don't know Japanese specifically, but there is a large Asian population - including Chinatown. And Washington, DC is the capital... ya know... the most powerful city in the world... and it's got like... cultural stuff. It's a worldwide attraction. They have Inauguration Day there, and it's gonna be like... New York City on steroids. They even have Japanese restaurants! :eektf:

My gawd man. Are you sure you're not from Baltimore? :laughlol:

You make it seem like what city the team is located in is the one and only priority for this guy. You have to remember, most Japanese imports are somewhat younger than Kawakami - guys like Ichiro, Matsui, even Fukudome were in their early 30s at the oldest. Considering they would probably spend 5, maybe even 10 years in the US, these guys probably cared a lot about what city they lived in. For a 2 year contract, that might not be so important. Also, those guys (Ichiro, etc.) were top, top tier players, the Jake Peavy and the Albert Pujols of Japanese baseball. Essentially, the only teams even in the running were big market teams in Chicago, New York, Seattle... Kawakami might not really have those kinds of choices.

And who knows - maybe he just wants a taste of life in America. Maybe he wants his kids to learn English. Maybe he wants a challenge, something different. Maybe he wants money. I haven't read every interview this guy has given in his life, but how much does he really care what city he lives in?

If I had to make a wild guess, I'd say that looking purely at baseball, the order would be: Cardinals (open spot in the middle of the rotation + contending team), then the Orioles (open spot in the front of the rotation), then the Twins (open spot in the back of the rotation + possibly contending team), assuming those are the 3 teams in the mix (I haven't read every post in this topic).

I don't know Japanese specifically, but there is a large Asian population - including Chinatown. And Washington, DC is the capital... ya know... the most powerful city in the world... and it's got like... cultural stuff. It's a worldwide attraction. They have Inauguration Day there, and it's gonna be like... New York City on steroids. They even have Japanese restaurants! :eektf:

My gawd man. Are you sure you're not from Baltimore? :laughlol:

This is like saying there is a large European population in city X and a Brit would be delighted to mingle with Germans, Danes and the French. Having traveled through Asia, I can assure you there is a big difference between the Chinese the Japanese and the Koreans and a lot if risidual resentment over WWII.

You make it seem like what city the team is located in is the one and only priority for this guy.

No, I don't think it's the only priority, or even the number one priority. I'm assuming that money is far and away the top priority, with team environment (competitiveness, quality of supporting offense and defense, etc.) second, and the hometown cultural attractions somewhere below that. However, if he's signing a 3 or 4 year contract, I think that having a Japanese population and culture would naturally be a significant factor. I don't think it would be the deciding factor unless the various offers are approximately equivalent otherwise.

You have to remember, most Japanese imports are somewhat younger than Kawakami - guys like Ichiro, Matsui, even Fukudome were in their early 30s at the oldest. Considering they would probably spend 5, maybe even 10 years in the US, these guys probably cared a lot about what city they lived in.

The younger they are, the most adaptable they would tend to be.

For a 2 year contract, that might not be so important.

If he turned down a 3 year contract with the Red Sox, I'm assuming that he's expecting to sign a 3 or 4 year deal.

Also, those guys (Ichiro, etc.) were top, top tier players, the Jake Peavy and the Albert Pujols of Japanese baseball. Essentially, the only teams even in the running were big market teams in Chicago, New York, Seattle...

All cities with relatively large Japanese populations. (I was surprised to learn that Chicago has such a significant Nipponese presence.)

Kawakami might not really have those kinds of choices.

True, he can't sign a deal that's not on the table.

... And who knows - maybe he just wants a taste of life in America.

Maybe so. But he can get that anywhere. If he wants to have a little Japanese culture as backup, he'll need to stick with the major cities which have that.

You make it seem like what city the team is located in is the one and only priority for this guy.

Well, I don't know what they guy thinks, but here's a question for you...

Pretend that you were moving to China for a couple years to make big bucks, and that the pay was comparable no matter where you were in China.

Would you be predisposed towards a major city you'd heard of (maybe Shanghai or Beijing) or some 2nd or 3rd tier city in the middle of nowhere that you'd never heard of?

Don't know how large that looms as an issue, but it could be in there somewhere.

I don't know Japanese specifically, but there is a large Asian population - including Chinatown.

And the Japanese haven't been all that popular among Chinese, who recall well the rape of Nanking and all the other abuses of WWII.

And Washington, DC is the capital... ya know... the most powerful city in the world... and it's got like... cultural stuff. It's a worldwide attraction.

Nice place to visit; maybe not so nice to live there for 4 years.

They have Inauguration Day there, and it's gonna be like... New York City on steroids.

He won't get here in time for this inauguration and he may have completed his career before the next one -- plus he would probably return to Japan in the off season.

They even have Japanese restaurants!

Americanized Japanese restaurants, like the sushi bars and Benihana. How many restaurants with "authentic" Japanese cuisine do they have?

Yahoo's search engine comes up with 127 Japanese restaurant results for DC and over 52,000 for New York City. Gotta be some duplication there, even if that's all of New York State.

My gawd man. Are you sure you're not from Baltimore?

As far from Baltimore as I can get. :)

If I had a choice, I'd probably choose to live in Baltimore over DC, but I doubt if the city makes as much as the neighborhood to me. But I'm not Japanese, looking for a taste of my home culture.

Pretend that you were moving to China for a couple years to make big bucks, and that the pay was comparable no matter where you were in China.

Would you be predisposed towards a major city you'd heard of (maybe Shanghai or Beijing) or some 2nd or 3rd tier city in the middle of nowhere that you'd never heard of?

Don't know how large that looms as an issue, but it could be in there somewhere.

Maybe they could send Kawakami a box of those brochures that Syd Thrift used to send to the players in Japan?

Its about time those things got moved out of the Warehouse! :D

... Would you be predisposed towards a major city you'd heard of (maybe Shanghai or Beijing) or some 2nd or 3rd tier city in the middle of nowhere that you'd never heard of?

Were it me, I'd try to find someplace with American cuisine reasonably available. I like "Chinese" food, but I discovered when I spent 17 months in Korea that I liked the Americanized version of Chinese food, not the more authentic stuff. I had no similar problems during the years I spent in Germany and Italy, though.

I know I'd probably go to the company that gave me the best career opportunity, and just deal with the fact I'd be going to the middle of nowhere to work in a beautiful facility in a city with a metro population of over 1,000,000 people. And I'd probably expect that the American cooking wasn't going to be just like Grandma's on Thanksgiving - in fact, I'd probably spend most of my time avoiding fake American stuff because I'd want to actually experience the local culture and local customs.

Are you all really having a discussion about how nobody from Asia is ever likely to sign with the O's because we don't have as many real places to eat Chinese food? Really? I wonder how Hideo Nomo ever ended up on the Brewers, or the Royals? Or Iguchi on the Padres or the Phillies? Or Akinori Otsuka on the Rangers or Padres? Or even Ichiro on the Mariners? Did they never eat? Did they spend their off hours crying themselves to sleep for lack of countrymen to bond with?

I think most of them went with the team that gave them the best chance to play ball for a good salary. The rest of the stuff falls into the same category, more-or-less, as Mark Teixeira wanting to come to Baltimore for all of those non-baseball reasons: bunk.

Archived