Kawakami Narrows His List

furryburres

As much as I like pizza, 12 straight posts about it in a Kenshin Kawakami thread is a bit much. Let's try to get this thing back on topic...

:)

The Twins and Cards both have said that the reports on their interest have been overstated. Apparently, they talked to Kawakami's agent in Las Vegas and said they were interested -- that's all.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I say pass, and give the young prospects a shot.

Undoubtedly, by the end of the season many of the prospects in AAA will be given a shot, with maybe the exception of Tillman.

We started 2008 with Guthrie, Cabrera, Loewen, Burres and Trachsel.

Three of them were replaced eventually by Olson, Liz, and Waters from Norfolk, and because of their failure to be consistent, we used Cormier, Albers, and Sarfate from the pen, and traded for Simon and Bass.

I think it would silly to assume that we won't be dipping heavily into AAA in 2009 by year end, fortunately I think that our depth is a little better now that we won't have to deal looking for weird pickups like Bass and Simon just to be competitive.

You can say pass all you want, but 2008 proved that having depth is crucial. This is why Hendrickson, Uehara and Kawakami make sense, even if they (and especially because they may not) pan out. The young ones will undoubtedly get their shots as injuries rack up.

Undoubtedly, by the end of the season many of the prospects in AAA will be given a shot, with maybe the exception of Tillman.

We started 2008 with Guthrie, Cabrera, Loewen, Burres and Trachsel.

Three of them were replaced eventually by Olson, Liz, and Waters from Norfolk, and because of their failure to be consistent, we used Cormier, Albers, and Sarfate from the pen, and traded for Simon and Bass.

I think it would silly to assume that we won't be dipping heavily into AAA in 2009 by year end, fortunately I think that our depth is a little better now that we won't have to deal looking for weird pickups like Bass and Simon just to be competitive.

You can say pass all you want, but 2008 proved that having depth is crucial. This is why Hendrickson, Uehara and Kawakami make sense, even if they (and especially because they may not) pan out. The young ones will undoubtedly get their shots as injuries rack up.

I wonder where Burres plays into the organization now? He showed signs of being decent, and then fell into a pattern of not throwing strikes and nibbling too much. Kind of reminds me of Olson.

I know this is a thread about Kawakami, and I don't want to get off topic, but in a way, it does have something to do with him. Does the organization still see Burres as a player they can use in a swing-man's role?

I wonder where Burres plays into the organization now? He showed signs of being decent, and then fell into a pattern of not throwing strikes and nibbling too much. Kind of reminds me of Olson.

I know this is a thread about Kawakami, and I don't want to get off topic, but in a way, it does have something to do with him. Does the organization still see Burres as a player they can use in a swing-man's role?

AM let Cabrera walk, signed strike-throwers in Hendrickson and Uehara, so I doubt AM is thinking of Burres as anything more than AAA fodder with maybe a call-up for bullpen duty or a spot start.

Burres has value in the fact that he's left handed, and I see why the Orioles would be willing to plug him into the rotation and swing man role for that purpose. Olson is the only left handed starter we have, and Walker and Sherrill make up the bullpen. I'd be surprised if he doesn't make the team out of Spring Training.

I really don't appreciate people ignoring a moderator who tells everyone to get back on topic.

Let's get back and stay on topic. Remember, this is the Hangout, let's not stray off course. Thanks for your cooperation.

Ledo's is god-awful. I dont even consider it pizza.

You're better off trying a local mom & pop owned pizza shop. All pizza chains IMO are garbage except for Papa Johns but even then I'd still prefer a pizza shop pizza.

J&P Pizza is the best in MD, I think. There are locations in Frederick and Carroll Counties.

I guess it's a matter of taste. If I pick up a pepperoni pizza at Ledo's, I can't even wait until I get home to pop the lid and begin eating it.

Fellas, I'm not really a hall monitor here anymore, but you might want to heed the big man's advice and take this to an off-topic forum.

Does anyone know what kind of money Kawakami is speculated to get?

also, if we had Ken and Koji.....could we call them the killer K's?

He's looking for Kuroda money, but who knows if he'll get it. I think right now 3/24 could probably get the deal done...

so....8 million a year for a 3 or 4 starter? That seems pretty good to me. He might not perform top notch, but with the dearth of excitement around the team in the community, having two imports could really help.

I'm not trying to be ignorant here, but I think people would actually go to the game to see the "japanese guy" pitch. And when they get to the game they get to see a RF who is clutch and is gunning people down at the plate, a CF pulling anything and everything out of the air, and a massive mountain of man behind the plate nailing runners at 2b and hitting dongs from both sides.

money well spent.

Does anyone know what kind of money Kawakami is speculated to get?

also, if we had Ken and Koji.....could we call them the killer K's?

I think he's asking 3/35. I'd give him 2/15 with a years supply of Pepi's with anchvies and mushrooms vesting at 180 inings. :wedge: Sorry, couldn't resist.

Archived