Ever heard of a TripleHeader?

wildcard

16 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

Baumann and Watkins start tomorrow.  

I’m kind of disappointed not to see Lyles one more time.  He’s one inning shy of his career high in IP, and he’s tied for his career high in wins (yeah, I know, we’re not supposed to care anymore, but he might).   Anyway, nice season from him.  

• Upvote 2

16 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

I know but playoffs start Friday. 

I don’t recall a playoff team ever playing 2 on the last day of season right before postseason. 

My guess is TOR would rather have used their big pen arms tonight instead of tomorrow. I also think we will see them potentially at odd times just to get them work.  Score will be irrelevant to them.  

I'm sure it's rare because if the postponement occurs earlier in the season you try not to schedule the doubleheaders the last day.    Like the 3 DHs being played today, or the Friday night doubleheader in the final series with the Brewers in 1982.

So for it to happen, you pretty much have to have a rainout on the next to last day of the season.

I know the year Ted Williams hit .400 he had a doubleheader on the last day of the season and played both games even though his average could have dropped under .400, and had a big day.   Of course Boston probably didn't make the World Series that year.

But I think that's just too bad for Toronto.  Rainouts get made up with doubleheaders if they can be, and they happened to have a rainout the next to last day of the season.  No reason to grant them an exception to the standard practice.

26 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I’m kind of disappointed not to see Lyles one more time.  He’s one inning shy of his career high in IP, and he’s tied for his career high in wins (yeah, I know, we’re not supposed to care anymore, but he might).   Anyway, nice season from him.  

I am too. Even if he just pitched 2 innings, it would have been nice to see him reach 181 innings.

27 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Maybe they'll pick up his option and you'll get to see him 30+ more times! 

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

Not impossible he pitches out of pen. 

Neither starter one would assume will go real deep. 

On 10/4/2022 at 7:41 AM, DrungoHazewood said:

They played the tripleheader in exactly 5:00, although there was probably some amount of time between games.  Nevertheless, three games in five hours, and the abbreviated six-inning game three took just 1:01.  An hour into a typical game today we're in the 3rd. Two weeks ago the Guardians and Twins played a single 15-inning game that lasted 5:24.  In August the Mets and Phillies played a nine-inning game that lasted 4:26.

Earlier in that 1920 season the Dodgers and Braves played a 26-inning tie (the famous Oeschger-Cadore game where both pitchers went the distance) that lasted 3:50.

I cannot wait for the pitch clock.  Don't tell me about commercials.  Commercials don't turn a 2:00 game into 4:26.

I think if MLB would outlaw batting gloves... or at least batting gloves with velcro... they could shave off 20 minutes a game at a minimum.  🤣

• Upvote 1

Hearing tripleheader always makes me cringe. I worked at a Division 1 school in the south in a previous life, and a lot of schools from the northeast and midwest would come down at the beginning of the season because the weather was better and we could usually get some games in. Usually. 

Well, one year, we started the season the second week of February and the weather was trash. Friday's game on Valentine's Day was snowed out and Saturday's game was rained out. So they decided to have a tripleheader on Sunday with three seven-inning games. Yikes.

The whole day was just miserable. There was a drizzle all day, and the first game went into extra innings...because of course it did. The second game went the scheduled seven innings, but then the drizzle turned into a downpour. We all waited around the ballpark for as long as we could to try and get that third game in, but it ended up just not being possible. What a mess.  

1 hour ago, lovetoaster said:

Hearing tripleheader always makes me cringe. I worked at a Division 1 school in the south in a previous life, and a lot of schools from the northeast and midwest would come down at the beginning of the season because the weather was better and we could usually get some games in. Usually. 

Well, one year, we started the season the second week of February and the weather was trash. Friday's game on Valentine's Day was snowed out and Saturday's game was rained out. So they decided to have a tripleheader on Sunday with three seven-inning games. Yikes.

The whole day was just miserable. There was a drizzle all day, and the first game went into extra innings...because of course it did. The second game went the scheduled seven innings, but then the drizzle turned into a downpour. We all waited around the ballpark for as long as we could to try and get that third game in, but it ended up just not being possible. What a mess.  

I understand the restrictions of needing to finish the season somewhat coincident with the academic year, but baseball is just not a sport that's playable in 40 degree rain.  Soccer and football, sure, but even those can be pretty miserable. Baseball in those conditions is just silly.