The Core/Keepers

wildcard

20 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

If we had a 23 year old 1B prospect in AAA who put up an .860 OP with 27 homers and 106 RBI,  would you be ok with giving him a chance?

Yes, at 3B/SS/2B.  860 OPS at 1B could be 750 at the big league level, which gets you Mountcastle.  With plus defense across other IF positions, that's positive WAR.

3 hours ago, RZNJ said:

Another good question. Who is the backup 1B on OD next year?  Is he on the current 40 man roster?   We know Rutshman has played some 1B but what if Mountcastle gets hurt?

I’d love to see Vavra get that shot. I feel in many ways (beyond that he’s not a traditional big guy 1B) that he could be well suited (better with the glove than he is with the arm). He also doesn’t have the traditional 1B power but having his on-base skills everyday would be welcome (and would help mitigate the loss of power).

Beyond that, I love Vavra as a super-sub for next year where he starts 3-4 days per week at LF/2B/1B/DH to get his OBP in the line-up and then becomes a starter if a starter goes down. 

• Upvote 1