Burrell

33rdst

I think this offseason has shown us where players loyalties really lie. Those of us who hoped Tex would come home and get warm fuzzies got slammed in the face with a cold dose of reality.

I can easily see Roberts going elsewhere too.

Life should show all of you who think MLB players think with one unified mind that no profession is a monolithic group. ;)

We are in agreement that Roberts will probably go elsewhere... but his reasons will be different from Tex's and Tex's real reasons are probably not exactly the ones everyone is ascribing to him.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The bolded words are key here. The Orioles currently do not have any success to sustain, therefore it is wiser for them not to be throwing money at aging free agents. If they have an above .500 season with their young talent in 2010 or 2011 and then fail to make sizable investments in the FA market to fill holes, then that would be a situation where they compare unfavorably to what Tampa is doing here. The Orioles in the very recent past were making precisely this type of investment in Aubrey Huff (only for an extra year) and most of us weren't excited about the move. An unathletic, one-dimensional slugger who isn't on a level with David Ortiz in the homer and RBI department is not a wise investment for a losing team. The same player can be for a contender.

Criticizing the O's for not signing Burrell would be like criticizing the 2004 or 2005 Rays for not signing a league-average DH. Like, say, Aubrey Huff. Instead they shed Huff and continued about their business of acquiring young and/or cheap talent.

Criticizing the O's for not signing Burrell would be like criticizing the 2004 or 2005 Rays for not signing a league-average DH. Like, say, Aubrey Huff. Instead they shed Huff and continued about their business of acquiring young and/or cheap talent.

Amen! Everyone who keeps trying to justify pricy FAs during a rebuild, read this over and over again.

As if we needed another reason, there's also the fact that when Burrell was miserable and being booed out of Philadelphia a couple of years ago, he refused to waive his NTC to come to the Orioles. I'm pretty sure signing him would not have been an option for the Orioles even if they wanted to waste money on a player who's not a good fit for their current circumstances.

Do you feel Montanez and Freel would do a better job as the everyday DH than Burrell?

What would be happening to Aubrey Huff, Luke Scott and Oscar Salazar in you scenario? :scratchchinhmm:

Also, do you think Burrell as our DH for the next two years would give us more of a chance of competing at some time in the near future than saving the money spent on him for use when we are actually close to contention? That's the relevant question, not whether he's better than our in-house option for the same position.

Life should show all of you who think MLB players think with one unified mind that no profession is a monolithic group. ;)

We are in agreement that Roberts will probably go elsewhere... but his reasons will be different from Tex's and Tex's real reasons are probably not exactly the ones everyone is ascribing to him.

Roberts has lived up to his contract in every way. When it is over he is absolutely entitled to seek his employment elsewhere. He was paid for his performance and he delivered in grand fashion. Brian has been an exemplary Oriole, much as Mike Mussina was, and Brian can leave or stay and either way he is entitled to enduring repsect from all Orioles fans.

I've said it 1,000 times, but the O's should strike while the iron's hot in terms of trading Roberts. If they act quickly (as opposed to the sllllllllllllllllllllow, methodic pace we've all become accustomed to) we could sign someone like O.Hudson as a short term replacement. He's a better fielder and the offensive dropoff would be pretty insignificant...and more importantly we'd have something to show for Roberts (ideally position prospects).

Ok, I'm offically stepping off my soap box now...

PS) I like the Burrell signing for Tampa (sends a good msg), but is he really any better then a full season of Jonny Gomes? Not so sure. Both are low avg guys with good power. Just something to think about.

What would be happening to Aubrey Huff, Luke Scott and Oscar Salazar in you scenario? :scratchchinhmm:

Also, do you think Burrell as our DH for the next two years would give us more of a chance of competing at some time in the near future than saving the money spent on him for use when we are actually close to contention? That's the relevant question, not whether he's better than our in-house option for the same position.

It looks like Huff is the everyday 1B, Scott/Reimold are the LF/4thOF, Salazar provides backup for Huff when Huff gives Mora a breather.

AT8 million a year for Burrell, he provides a solid bat in the middle of the order for a couple years. How much did the O's pay Ramon, Millar and Payton last year? WOuldn't Burrell just slide into that slot without increasing payroll?

I've said it 1,000 times, but the O's should strike while the iron's hot in terms of trading Roberts. If they act quickly (as opposed to the sllllllllllllllllllllow, methodic pace we've all become accustomed to) we could sign someone like O.Hudson as a short term replacement. He's a better fielder and the offensive dropoff would be pretty insignificant...and more importantly we'd have something to show for Roberts (ideally position prospects).

Ok, I'm offically stepping off my soap box now...

PS) I like the Burrell signing for Tampa (sends a good msg), but is he really any better then a full season of Jonny Gomes? Not so sure. Both are low avg guys with good power. Just something to think about.

Speaking of Gomes, I think we should take a chance on him. He can be had cheap, is still pretty young and I'd rather him than Casey/Hinske.

It looks like Huff is the everyday 1B, Scott/Reimold are the LF/4thOF, Salazar provides backup for Huff when Huff gives Mora a breather.

AT8 million a year for Burrell, he provides a solid bat in the middle of the order for a couple years. How much did the O's pay Ramon, Millar and Payton last year? WOuldn't Burrell just slide into that slot without increasing payroll?

Please tell me how Burrell aids our rebuild.

Roberts has lived up to his contract in every way. When it is over he is absolutely entitled to seek his employment elsewhere. He was paid for his performance and he delivered in grand fashion. Brian has been an exemplary Oriole, much as Mike Mussina was, and Brian can leave or stay and either way he is entitled to enduring repsect from all Orioles fans.

Quoted for absolute truth! Well said.

I hope he stays, but if traded or if he chooses Free Agency, all I can do is thank Brian Roberts for all of his contributions.

And I know he was gone a long time, but Moose was still a Bird in my mind -- even on those crazy days he ended up on the opposing pitcher's mound.

-Don

The Orioles still need to field a team for next year, and a solid bat is needed. The kids on the field next season don't need to lose over 100 games. Establishing a semblance of winning is important and Burrel is a relatively cheap means of doing that.

If a player makes a team better, at whatever stage, without breaking the bank, it helps. If he protects Jones in the line-up, to continue his confidence gain, or shows another younger hitter his approach to the plate, etc.

Having a good player on a team, helps at any stage of building a better baseball club.

-Don

The Orioles still need to field a team for next year, and a solid bat is needed. The kids on the field next season don't need to lose over 100 games. Establishing a semblance of winning is important and Burrel is a relatively cheap means of doing that.

Burrell might be worth a couple wins. He might keep us off 100 losses and instead losing 97. Not worth money. Not at all.

Archived