"Moves that completely befuddle us" 2022-23 offseason edition

Tony-OH

22 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

This is what some people seem to be missing. Why would they think they need Cave or Bemboom in the first place. Why would they need to be "protected" from filing FA, If you can sign these kinds of guys as minor league free agents in the off season?

Shake a minor league tree and ten Cave and Bemboom's fall out. Adding AAA filler on the 40-man right now doesn't mean much because I agree, these guys will most likely be gone before the 40-man is set this December, but it's certainly befuddling that they feel a need to add them now.

BTW, who they dropped off don't matter since there are plenty of guys that can be dropped without concern. It's who they are adding right now that's very, very strange.

They did moves like this in the past, only to just cut the players later.

I wouldn’t read anything into these moves until it’s necessary. 

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

I don't recall them adding 33 year old back up AAA catchers and a 30-year old outfielder who can't hit to the roster in the past. 

Most of the guys they've done this with our younger guys they could claim, the DFA and try to outright them to AAA instead of bidding with other teams for their services. 

Nobody would be bidding on Bemboom or Cave. 

I'm not reading anything into the moves, they just completely and utterly befuddle me why these were necessary moves. 

• Upvote 1

All this is just Elias's way of keeping this site energised until after the WS ends. 😀 Working too!  

83-79 allows for me anyway some more time to evaluate.

Check with me in late January/early February to gage the "Pissed Button"! Then we can scope Elias's words to deeds.

I like what Elias and Sig have done to help build this team back. The farm system is stacked and starting to bear fruit and we have a surprising season that shows we are ready to flip the switch and be contenders. 

That said, this front office does like to "get cute" with moves from time-to-time and show they're the smartest ones in the room. I think that is what this is. They're getting cute with stocking AAA depth that will be DFA'ed and then kept as no other team grabs them when players are flying later. Sure, they could easily get players just like these by just signing minor league contracts, but that would be too conventional. In the end, I expect these moves to be pointless as I would be wildly disappointed if Bemboom and Cave make it to spring on the 40-man. 

27 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

I don't recall them adding 33 year old back up AAA catchers and a 30-year old outfielder who can't hit to the roster in the past. 

Most of the guys they've done this with our younger guys they could claim, the DFA and try to outright them to AAA instead of bidding with other teams for their services. 

Nobody would be bidding on Bemboom or Cave. 

I'm not reading anything into the moves, they just completely and utterly befuddle me why these were necessary moves. 

I agree they are dumb moves. Just don’t think it means anything.

5 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

That’s how I feel.   I’ll pay attention when the moves are made to protect players from the Rule 5 draft.  If Bemboom or Cave is still on the roster then, I’ll take a real careful look at who the O’s left off the 40 man roster instead of Bemboom and Cave.   But I suspect I won’t have to worry about it.   

• Upvote 1

51 minutes ago, Frobby said:

That’s how I feel.   I’ll pay attention when the moves are made to protect players from the Rule 5 draft.  If Bemboom or Cave is still on the roster then, I’ll take a real careful look at who the O’s left off the 40 man roster instead of Bemboom and Cave.   But I suspect I won’t have to worry about it.   

So you aren't the least bit interested in why a professional GM would add 30 plus year players onto his 40-man roster for what seems like no real reason to make his organization better? 

He could sign a Eddie Gaedel's ghost and you'd be like, eh, who cares, right? 

No, these players don't matter. What matters is that the GM is making moves that make zero sense.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

So you aren't the least bit interested in why a professional GM would add 30 plus year players onto his 40-man roster for what seems like no real reason to make his organization better? 

No, these players don't matter. What matters is that the GM is making moves that make zero sense.

He’d rather have Bemboom and Cave than Castro and Reed.   That makes sense.  But I suspect later he’ll rather have two other people than Bemboom and Cave.  Until then, they’re here.  

• Upvote 1

On 10/12/2022 at 5:54 PM, Tony-OH said:

Hey, Gaedel's career OBP was 1.000 so...