Any chance MacPhail becomes a buyer as prices drop?

Frobby

Of Roch's list, I would be interested in these guys at the right prices:

Joe Crede (31)

Adam Dunn (29)

Rocco Baldelli (27)

Chuck James (27)

Braden Looper (34)

Derek Lowe (36)

Mark Mulder (31)

John Parrish (31)

Carl Pavano (33)

Oliver Perez (27)

Mark Prior (27)

Ben Sheets (30)

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I mentioned on two other posts in the past week that I thought we should give AM until Friday, January 9th to sign or trade for at least two quality players for the coming season. Some of the reasons for saying this was it would be 103 days since the season ended, 57 days since free agent signing began on November 14th and about 40 days before the start of Spring Training. Also the team media guide needs to be published before the start of Spring Training and printers normally need about 30-45 days to prepare the book for publication. The 9th is cutting it close. Who will be featured in the 2009 Media Guide? Who will be on the billboards arounf town? It's January 5, 2009. Will anything happen this week?

I also said AM should start talking to the media and give TV interviews on MASN and the local radio stations to explain what's going on after the 9th.

Will he need to give interviews and appear on Tom Davis's Saturday sports talk radio/TV show on MASN? I think he will do 2 things this week. Make a trade and sign at least one free agent.

I mentioned on two other posts in the past week that I thought we should give AM until Friday, January 9th to sign or trade for at least two quality players for the coming season. Some of the reasons for saying this was it would be 103 days since the season ended, 57 days since free agent signing began on November 14th and about 40 days before the start of Spring Training. Also the team media guide needs to be published before the start of Spring Training and printers normally need about 30-45 days to prepare the book for publication. The 9th is cutting it close. Who will be featured in the 2009 Media Guide? Who will be on the billboards arounf town? It's January 5, 2009. Will anything happen this week?

I also said AM should start talking to the media and give TV interviews on MASN and the local radio stations to explain what's going on after the 9th.

Will he need to give interviews and appear on Tom Davis's Saturday sports talk radio/TV show on MASN? I think he will do 2 things this week. Make a trade and sign at least one free agent.

Huh?

Is this some 5% Nation numerology stuff, 'cause I'm missing the significance of all these digits.

Is this for real?

Media guides routinely come with addenda by the way.

How is Burrell able to get any money? You said no one has any.

Lowe was offered 3 - $36 million by the Mets and is holding out for $16 million/year. Manny turned down 2 - $45 million from the Dodgers. The Red Sox offer to Teixeira was second only to the Yankees. There's money out there alright, just not enough to some player's liking.

Alrighty. Obviously, I didn't mean that literally. Sure, there's still money out there. The point is, there's clearly a LOT less of it available and every team (except the Yankees) is acting very cautiously. We're 3 weeks from pitchers and catchers reporting and there's 100 FAs still on the market. It's not the O's that are moving slowly and cheaply, it's all of baseball.

The number of days was strictly to show how long it's taking for AM do make one significant trade or free agent signing. We ended the season on a down note with numerous losses and I believe the second worst pitching staff in baseball. I think we were thinking about possible trades back in September. It's January! Does AM think he has to match his Tejada and Bedard deals of last year? I think other GM'S may be shying away from him knowing the success of those deals. This is the week the wheels are put in motion.

Of Roch's list, I would be interested in these guys at the right prices:

Joe Crede (31)

He seems to be Melvin Mora, without the versatility, plate discipline, or durability. But I suppose he'd be a decent placeholder until something else comes along. Like maybe Snyder or Rowell or something.

Adam Dunn (29)

Sure, but does MacPhail want to sign Dunn or even Crede types at any price? Or any price that'll get them to sign?

Rocco Baldelli (27), Mark Mulder (31), Carl Pavano (33), Mark Prior (27)

Do they allow you to write contracts of the form: $50, plus $5000 for each plate appearance or $10000 for each inning? When was the last time those four players combined for a season's worth of appearances in one year?

Chuck James (27)

Hmmm, seems to be a flyball pitcher coming off a year where he lost his job after giving up a homer every three innings in Atlanta. Career 97 ERA+ in the NL in a big park with what's usually a good defense behind him. What exactly makes him better than, say, Garrett Olson?

Braden Looper (34)

If you plan on making him Sammy Stewart, pitching five innings of relief on Monday, starting on Thursday, then relieving again on Sunday, and you can get him for a 2/7 deal, maybe I'm game. If you're signing him to close, forget about it. If you're signing him to give you 170 innings of a 5.25, I'm not so keen on that, either.

Derek Lowe (36)

At last check he was still holding out for something like a 5/80 deal. That seems to be only about $60M over our budget. Maybe he'll relax his demands a little.

John Parrish (31)

Maybe my memory is a little hazy, but didn't we have a guy named John Parrish that we gave about seven years to get it together, and, well... he didn't?

Oliver Perez (27)

Will probably be a classic case of a .475 pitcher signed on the expectation that he's a .600 pitcher. He'd be an ok cheap signing if a) you could get him really cheap, and b) everyone was working under the assumption that he's going to give you 150 innings of a 5.25.

Ben Sheets (30)

Why would Ben Sheets be trying to show the world he's healthy and good with a 73-win team on a blue light special contract?

Can you imagine growing up like that?

When Dad came home and told Mom about his day, it was Oriole GM-talk at the kitchen table.

Listening to the stories of both his Dad and Granddad meant he was hearing two HOF GM's talk about building and running noteworthy ballclubs.

One thing I don't understand, especially from the folks who expected Tex to want to "come home to the O's", is how they don't recognize that very thing in AM.

Our GM came home to fulfill the kind of "from when I was a boy" Oriole dream-wish that we wish players had.

Well, the players might not have it, but our GM does. I can't believe people can't see this.

• AM has repeatedly said that running the O's was his dream job. He said it to other GM's before he said it to fans.
  • He grew up watching his Dad do it.
  • When he was a kid, he named his dog "Brooks", for cryin' out loud.

When people claim AM's is some kind of hired hack who doesn't care about the O's being good, it makes me wonder how people can believe this.

Are people so cynical that they can't recognize it when they're watching a guy actually live out his "from when I was a kid" dream job?

It's right under their nose, but they can't see that?

I don't know if AM is gonna succeed or not, but I am completely sure that this is gonna be his signature job.

Whether he goes on to higher places, I have no idea. But this is the job where he puts his name on a franchise.

If you don't think so, then I think you're not seeing something important.

This is a great post!!! I agree with the sticky comment. You can agree or disagree with AM's methodology but the sentiment that he doesn't care or is just here to hack up the organization is ridiculous.

The number of days was strictly to show how long it's taking for AM do make one significant trade or free agent signing. We ended the season on a down note with numerous losses and I believe the second worst pitching staff in baseball. I think we were thinking about possible trades back in September. It's January! Does AM think he has to match his Tejada and Bedard deals of last year? I think other GM'S may be shying away from him knowing the success of those deals. This is the week the wheels are put in motion.

But, how many other organizations in our situation (i.e. mid market with very little chance of competing in 2009) have made significant trades or signings. The market is moving very slowly. I actually think that patience is the right course of action here. No need to follow fan imposed deadlines. Personally, I think the Ramon trade was significant.

The only thing not done that bothers me is the Markakis extension. The longer that goes the more bothered I get.

But, how many other organizations in our situation (i.e. mid market with very little chance of competing in 2009) have made significant trades or signings. The market is moving very slowly. I actually think that patience is the right course of action here. No need to follow fan imposed deadlines. Personally, I think the Ramon trade was significant.

The only thing not done that bothers me is the Markakis extension. The longer that goes the more bothered I get.

Well, don't get too frustrated. Both sides agreed to walk away for 6 weeks. When does the 6 weeks expire? Save your frustration for 2 weeks after the 6 week cooling-off period is over.

Joe Crede (31)

Braden Looper (34)

Mark Mulder (31)

Chuck James (27)

No thanks.

Adam Dunn (29)

I would probably be interested in him for the right price but I am pretty sure AM would not. Horrible defense and plate discipline. 1 and 1a in AM's book of positional player etiquette

Rocco Baldelli (27)

Intriguing to me. But can't imagine Angelos being willing to pay him more than complimentary legal services based on a physical he probably would never pass.

John Parrish (31)

I would sign him to start opening day against the Yankees and let him pitch to the first three batters then immediately release him.

Kidding... No thanks.

Derek Lowe (36)

I like Derek Lowe. But there is no chance I would pay him what he is looking for and pretty sure he doesn't fit into any plan.

Carl Pavano (33)

He is much more valuable to the O's on the Yankees roster.

No thanks.

Oliver Perez (27)

If the price were right. Wouldn't sign him for more than 2 years though. The most attractive thing about him is his age. His walks and ERA are not attractive and especially in the AL East.

Mark Prior (27)

Honestly, call me a sucker. I would take a chance on him (again for the right price for 1 yr). Sometimes you have to take chances.

Ben Sheets (30)

Of this list, the one guy I would actively go after, tho I think we would have to overpay. Wouldn't do anymore than 3 yrs and would probably struggle with that decision. Also would have to wonder if he would pass the O's physical.

No thanks.

I would probably be interested in him for the right price but I am pretty sure AM would not. Horrible defense and plate discipline. 1 and 1a in AM's book of positional player etiquette

Intriguing to me. But can't imagine Angelos being willing to pay him more than complimentary legal services based on a physical he probably would never pass.

I would sign him to start opening day against the Yankees and let him pitch to the first three batters then immediately release him.

Kidding... No thanks.

I like Derek Lowe. But there is no chance I would pay him what he is looking for and pretty sure he doesn't fit into any plan.

He is much more valuable to the O's on the Yankees roster.

No thanks.

If the price were right. Wouldn't sign him for more than 2 years though. The most attractive thing about him is his age. His walks and ERA are not attractive and especially in the AL East.

Honestly, call me a sucker. I would take a chance on him (again for the right price for 1 yr). Sometimes you have to take chances.

Of this list, the one guy I would actively go after, tho I think we would have to overpay. Wouldn't do anymore than 3 yrs and would probably struggle with that decision. Also would have to wonder if he would pass the O's physical.

This is so untrue so as to call into question your knowledge of the definition of plate discipline. He doesn't swing at many pitches out-of-zone. He just has low contact rates.

http://www.fangraphs.com/statss.aspx?playerid=319&position=OF#platediscipline

He's got great patience and discipline.

This is so untrue so as to call into question your knowledge of the definition of plate discipline. He doesn't swing at many pitches out-of-zone. He just has low contact rates.

http://www.fangraphs.com/statss.aspx?playerid=319&position=OF#platediscipline

He's got great patience and discipline.

It's too bad the Willie Keeler, Lloyd Waner, Nellie Fox, Luke Sewell type of hitter went extinct, otherwise we'd have a good set of players to compare and contrast.

Guys like Keeler were legendary for their ability to avoid strikeouts. But they really didn't have any plate discipline - they'd just foul off anything that was within a half mile of the strike zone. They'd rarely walk because they'd rarely take anything close.

Guys like Dunn are the opposite. They know exactly what kind of pitch they can hit, and they're patient enough and good enough to just not swing until they get it. This leads to a lot of deep counts, and a lot of walks and strikeouts. That patience defines what plate discipline is all about.

In the deadball era, when gloves were tiny and errors much more common it made sense to never strike out. It was much easier to reach base on what is now a routine ground ball. But with teams making an error every two games and many more fast players with great range and more reachable fences it just doesn't make sense to trade an extra 20 or 30 homers for 100 more three-hoppers to the infield.

He seems to be Melvin Mora, without the versatility, plate discipline, or durability. But I suppose he'd be a decent placeholder until something else comes along. Like maybe Snyder or Rowell or something.

Sure, but does MacPhail want to sign Dunn or even Crede types at any price? Or any price that'll get them to sign?

Do they allow you to write contracts of the form: $50, plus $5000 for each plate appearance or $10000 for each inning? When was the last time those four players combined for a season's worth of appearances in one year?

Hmmm, seems to be a flyball pitcher coming off a year where he lost his job after giving up a homer every three innings in Atlanta. Career 97 ERA+ in the NL in a big park with what's usually a good defense behind him. What exactly makes him better than, say, Garrett Olson?

If you plan on making him Sammy Stewart, pitching five innings of relief on Monday, starting on Thursday, then relieving again on Sunday, and you can get him for a 2/7 deal, maybe I'm game. If you're signing him to close, forget about it. If you're signing him to give you 170 innings of a 5.25, I'm not so keen on that, either.

At last check he was still holding out for something like a 5/80 deal. That seems to be only about $60M over our budget. Maybe he'll relax his demands a little.

Maybe my memory is a little hazy, but didn't we have a guy named John Parrish that we gave about seven years to get it together, and, well... he didn't?

Will probably be a classic case of a .475 pitcher signed on the expectation that he's a .600 pitcher. He'd be an ok cheap signing if a) you could get him really cheap, and b) everyone was working under the assumption that he's going to give you 150 innings of a 5.25.

Why would Ben Sheets be trying to show the world he's healthy and good with a 73-win team on a blue light special contract?

I am not saying I am absolutely in love with these guys, but they are all that is left. And we need to fill 3 or 4 rotation slots

Archived