Multi-year contracts, and locking up pre-Arb players

Frobby

I did a deep dive today into every team’s roster to look at how many multi-year contracts they had, and how they broke down into various categories.   Here’s a quick summary:

1.  There were 224 multi-year contacts in MLB this year.  That includes contracts that expired at the end of 2022, and contracts that were signed sometime in 2022 but which haven’t gone into effect yet (e.g. Spencer Strider).

2.  Of the 224, 141 are for players who either signed as free agents, or who signed a “second extension” that only covered FA years.  

3.  There were 46 contracts signed during Arb-eligible years but which bought out or had options on one or more FA years.

4.  There were 8 contracts signed during Arb-eligible years that were two-year deals but didn’t impact any free agent seasons.  

5.  There were 30 contracts for players who weren’t yet eligible for arbitration.  All of those buy out (or have options on) at least one FA season.

6.  The teams with the most multi-year deals were Atlanta (17), the White Sox (15), Houston (13) and San Diego (13).   The teams with the least were Oakland (0), Baltimore (1), Pittsburgh (2), Cleveland (3), Kansas City (3) and Washington (3).   

I’ll get into some other details in a post tomorrow about the 30 pre-Arb contracts.  

• Upvote 4

I don't think I will buy into the idea that the Orioles are serious about spending money until they lock up a handful of our top guys like Adley and Henderson. I saw today a list of Braves who have signed extensions. There are 6-7 who have signed for six years or more.

12 minutes ago, orioles22 said:

I don't think I will buy into the idea that the Orioles are serious about spending money until they lock up a handful of our top guys like Adley and Henderson. I saw today a list of Braves who have signed extensions. There are 6-7 who have signed for six years or more.

The Braves are pretty unique in signing up a lot of their younger players.  The White Sox are the other team that is very active that way.  I’ll get Into this tomorrow when I go through the 30 pre-Arb contracts.  Of course, it also takes two to tango.  The player has to be willing to do a long term deal rather than going year by year.  

• Upvote 1

I realized that I mistakenly left Ke'Bryan Hayes (8/$70 mm) and Blake Snell (5/$50 mm) out of the top 10, so I have edited my top 10 post to include them and omit Jimenez and Marquez, though I could argue that the latter two deals could be more lucrative than Snell's because they have options and Snell's does not.   I also edited my post commenting on some of the trends in the top 10 to account for those changes.   Jimenez and Marquez will lead off the second ten.

1 minute ago, Hallas said:

This is a great breakdown.  Minor point though, Julio Rodriguez's contract is technically 12/209 with an opt-out after year 7 that he's pretty much guaranteed to exercise if he has all 4 limbs functioning.

Thanks.  I just took my info from BB-ref.  As I recall, Rodriguez’s deal is quite complicated and the value of the options /opt out years can vary depending on his performance.  I didn’t look up the exact details.  Now that your post reminds me of them, I guess this deal is likely to be bigger than Franco’s, and possibly bigger than Tatis’ if Seattle exercises its team option.  Honestly, it’s kind of insane  .  I think I’ll just leave it where it is on the list, though odds are it will be no. 1 or 2 when all is said and done.  

9 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Good research but the question of, was it worth it to sign these guys won’t be answered until really they reach theater arb years (ie did you get a big discount for those years) and their FA years (ie was it worth it to lock them up for those years at a seemingly reduced price?)

Yes, I agree with you.  I mostly did this to get a sense of just how common these deals are.   Of the top ten, only Moancada and Snell are really far enough along to be sonewhat confident in judging the outcome, and even there it’s not certain yet.   I have a pretty good feeling that Acuna and Albies will turn out to be steals for the Braves, but it’s still too soon to be sure. 

When I do nos. 11-30, there will be some where the outcome is obvious.  Also, I’ve compiled an incomplete list of now-completed deals, some of which turned out ridiculously well for the team (e.g. the original deals for Evan Longoria, Jose Altuve and Jose Ramirez), that I’ll post at some point.  

I figure this is one of those threads I’ll be bumping once a year in the offseason to see how these deals are progressing.  

I will say this. I think the most overstated thing that will be said on this site and by Os fans all offseason will be “we have to sign Henderson and Adley now”

Now they don’t. I’m not against it by any means but they aren’t the priority this offseason.  You should still be able to negotiate with them while improving the team but making this team a real contender in 2023 while also setting them up long term is easily the top priority.

3 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

I will say this. I think the most overstated thing that will be said on this site and by Os fans all offseason will be “we have to sign Henderson and Adley now”

Now they don’t. I’m not against it by any means but they aren’t the priority this offseason.  You should still be able to negotiate with them while improving the team but making this team a real contender in 2023 while also setting them up long term is easily the top priority.

While I agree with this comment entirely.  I think this winter will give some real clarity to how Elias intends to manage and secure the future.  I also think it will give clarity as to what budget he is actually allowed to work with going forward.   Elias has stated that managing success long term is his goal.  That can certainly be done with or without locking up the kids.  And since it is unrealistic to think that he will be given a blank check book, it will be interesting to see how quickly Elias is willing to spend assets instead of dollars.

But great info in this thread Frobby.  Thank you.

5 minutes ago, foxfield said:

While I agree with this comment entirely.  I think this winter will give some real clarity to how Elias intends to manage and secure the future.  I also think it will give clarity as to what budget he is actually allowed to work with going forward.   Elias has stated that managing success long term is his goal.  That can certainly be done with or without locking up the kids.  And since it is unrealistic to think that he will be given a blank check book, it will be interesting to see how quickly Elias is willing to spend assets instead of dollars.

But great info in this thread Frobby.  Thank you.

I don’t think it’s Any kind of clarity at all. If Elias doesn’t lock these guys up it means nothing.