O's and Uehara agree to deal

Os84

Subject to seeing just how much we are paying him, I think this is a risk well worth taking. If nothing else, it establishes us in Japan and will give us experience in dealing with the issues that go along with signing Japanese players. I'd rather do this than sign some mediocre MLB veteran because of the potential collateral benefits. Even if the guy flops, we'll get something from this experience.

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My projection for him is: 8 wins 4.50 ERA 170 IP 130Ks

As of now that makes him our number 2 starter, hopefully we sign some more SP so he can be a number 4 or 5 where he fits much better, either way I am happy about this finally a Japanese player in Baltimore.

What is Japan?

No, but seriously, I like the move. From a purely baseball standpoint, you get another pitcher that could be a surprise in the rotation.

This could put the O's on the map for Asian players. A small step in the right direction, but nonetheless, a good move.

Uehara has a fastball that tops out in the high-80s/low 90s, with movement. He throws two split-fingered fastballs, a cutter, and a slider. His trademark pitch is a forkball.

He has impeccable control, walking only 1.20 per 9 IP over the course of his career (through 2006) but is slightly prone to the long ball, with a career HR/9 rate of 1.08. Uehara is also able to strike batters out, fanning 7.97 per 9 over his career.

Source

Uehara doesn't sound like an Aruban name...:D

Showing some love to the Asian players is a nice move IMO. I know he's older than some would like, but I think this is a nice signing. I've been kinda tough on AM lately, but I must say this appears to be a solid move...it's worth the risk.

Uehara has a fastball that tops out in the high-80s/low 90s, with movement. He throws two split-fingered fastballs, a cutter, and a slider. His trademark pitch is a forkball.

He has impeccable control, walking only 1.20 per 9 IP over the course of his career (through 2006) but is slightly prone to the long ball, with a career HR/9 rate of 1.08. Uehara is also able to strike batters out, fanning 7.97 per 9 over his career.

Source

This may be the best news of all.

This is a good move. We need respectable pitchers to eat innings while the young pitchers develop, preferably at low cost and a short time committment. I predict he will outperform Tim Redding, and will perform at a level comparable to Braden Looper at a considerably lower cost.

And even if he is the next Irabu, at least we've gotten our feet wet in the Pacific Rim, which could lead to further talent acquisition down the road.

Best move of the offseason so far. (I know, it's damning with faint praise...)

Archived