O's and Uehara agree to deal

Os84

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This was also just reported on MLB Trade Rumors.

So' date=' with this, and if we sign Kawakami, [b']is the Japanese catcher next? (I forget his name..)[/b]

I am not high on Aikawa at all, he is a Quiroz type player, But if we dont get Zaun I would be ok with Aikawa I guess.

Read AMac's quote in my sig. That was him in reference to the Japanese pitchers.
Someone that throws strikes, indeed.

Unbelievable.

Don't get me wrong...I like the signing. But, "strike throwing" only equates to "getting people out" if your stuff is good enough for the big leagues. What do we know about his stuff?

Don't get me wrong...I like the signing. But, "strike throwing" only equates to "getting people out" if your stuff is good enough for the big leagues. What do we know about his stuff?

Here is a write up on Uehara.

http://www.npbtracker.com/2008/06/player-profile-koji-uehara/#content

Uehara relies on a fastball that he can throw wherever he wants, and runs up to 91 mph. He also features a forkball with late movement, a shuuto, and the occasional cut fastball. You can see him in action against Korea in the 2006 WBC on this

. Uehara is a control pitcher, and has never given up more than 28 walks in any season (in 138 IP in 2001). His biggest weakness has been the home run ball.

I am not high on Aikawa at all, he is a Quiroz type player, But if we dont get Zaun I would be ok with Aikawa I guess.

If we signed Kawakami as well, he would be perfect. Even if he won't hit for much it would be good to have him around to catch both japanese pitchers and back up Wieters when he is brought up.

Uehara relies on a fastball that he can throw wherever he wants, and runs up to 91 mph. He also features a forkball with late movement, a shuuto, and the occasional cut fastball. You can see him in action against Korea in the 2006 WBC on this

. Uehara is a control pitcher, and has never given up more than 28 walks in any season (in 138 IP in 2001). His biggest weakness has been the home run ball.

Ahhh...He's gonna be at Camden Yards too....

The signing was also just reported on MLB Trade Rumors.

So' date=' with this, and if we sign Kawakami, is the Japanese catcher next? (I forget his name..)[/quote']

Straight up, that would actually give me a reason to watch the team next year. I wouldn't expect them to win or anything, but it would at least be an interesting storyline.

Uehara has a fastball that tops out in the high-80s/low 90s, with movement. He throws two split-fingered fastballs, a cutter, and a slider. His trademark pitch is a forkball.

He has impeccable control, walking only 1.20 per 9 IP over the course of his career (through 2006) but is slightly prone to the long ball, with a career HR/9 rate of 1.08. Uehara is also able to strike batters out, fanning 7.97 per 9 over his career.

Source

His homerun allowing number wont' get any higher since Japanese ballparks have smaller dimensions.

Frobby is 100% right… we signed a former star in Japan, that will at least make some of Japan aware of Baltimore.. That is a good thing…

A deal with limited salary is a good thing… multiple years is a bit sketchy…. Believing he is a sound option for the rotation is kind of strange…. Signing a guy that turns 34 the first week of April to a multi-year deal, is just annoying.

2008 - 89.2 IP, 90 hits, 72 k's, 16 walks

2007 - 62 IP, 47 hits, 66 k's, 4 walks

2006 - 168.1 IP, 157 hits, 151 k's, 21 walks

Clearly has great control… clearly had a great career… with his former success as a starter, and over 1400 professional innings… I am sure he will be capable as a starter.. For at least 130ip this year..

Those are good things… signing him for multiple years at his age, without making the other steps necessary to greatly improve the 2009 team… I find irritating, but to each his own.

I have read speculation, and I know that it is just speculation, that he was banished to the pen, not for performance but rather for his vocal desire to pitch in the USA which is bad form in Japan. Therefore he was put in the pen.

He eats innings and doesn't walk people, even if it is a two year deal I will take it. Say he does well, maybe we can trade him next offseason.

If we signed Kawakami as well, he would be perfect. Even if he won't hit for much it would be good to have him around to catch both japanese pitchers and back up Wieters when he is brought up.

I would support that, However It would be hard to watch until april 15th when Wieters is called up. I dont mind signing Aikawa I just prefer a guy like Zaun if possible.

I have read speculation, and I know that it is just speculation, that he was banished to the pen, not for performance but rather for his vocal desire to pitch in the USA which is bad form in Japan. Therefore he was put in the pen.

He eats innings and doesn't walk people, even if it is a two year deal I will take it. Say he does well, maybe we can trade him next offseason.

That is exactly right, He and the Giants did not get along and they banished him to the pen. With all the distractions and controversy the last 2 years in Japan he still posted solid numbers.

I wonder if he can teach the rest of our guys a shuuto...

Archived