Should/Will the O’s Exercise the Jordan Lyles Option?

Frobby

Should/will the O’s exercise the Jordan Lyles option?  

77 members have voted

1. 1. Should/will the O’s exercise the Jordan Lyles Option?

• They should and they will
    • They should but they won’t
    • They shouldn’t but they will
    • They shouldn’t and they won’t

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 11/06/22 at 01:19

• 2 weeks later...

Last bits of data filtering in - Drew Smyly has opted OUT of his $10mm 2023 opportunity, hoping I guess to do better.

2022 Smyly was 70th out of 140 Arms throwing 100 innings at K-BB% - basically the Average Bulk Pitcher "50-yard line" bullseye.  91/26 K/BB in 107 innings.

Lyles was 97th out of 140, basically 30th percentile.

Some of the art of designing 1425 is do you want those 110 from Smyly + 60 from the Norfolk shuttle, or one guy with the track record to cover both loads?

I am curious to see if Elias can sell some HR prone LHP to really stress test Walltimore - Smyly now joins Heaney there.

Edited by Just Regular

31 minutes ago, btdart20 said:

A more interesting social experiment is if there's a shift in how people view Elias/Orioles decision makers for those who voted 'they should but they won't' or 'they shouldn't but they will' as well.  

I'm pleased they didn't but ultimately we have to see what he does instead.

5 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

There are people who voted they should and they will here.  Seeing as you believed that they should pick it up, does this mean you believe Elias is wrong?

Nope .. i voted should and would.. but that is why they pay Mike the big bucks. If they sign him at lower cost, that would be ok obviously with me and if they don’t, I will support Elias judgement 

• 1 month later...
6 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

If I remember correctly last season was the only one in which he's been on a winning team while in the majors.

When you've cumulatively been valued at -1.2 bWAR for your career spanning 321 games and 1300+ innings, it's not shocking that perennial winners aren't calling you every offseason. That being said, with this 2 year contract he'll have banked somewhere around $50 mil for his career. Don't have to shine bright, just show up to work every day. 

Edited by CharmCityHokie
  • Upvote 1